• The KillerFrogs

Apparently Houston is “Considering” Going After Holgersen...lol

Austintxfrog94

Sources: Houston evaluating replacing Major Applewhite, considering Dana Holgorsen
Zach BarnettDecember 29, 2018

http://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...-major-applewhite-considering-dana-hoglorsen/

In the weeks leading up to Houston’s blowout loss to Army in the Armed Forces Bowl, word percolated in the coaching community that Major Applewhite might not be safe to return for his third season as head coach of the Cougars. The way the team played in that game seems to have fueled that fire…

At a school where the president famously bragged about firing Tony Levine for the sin of going 8-4, Applewhite has gone 7-5 and 8-5 in two full seasons at the helm. The 2018 campaign started with promise, as D’Eriq King and the Houston offense averaged 50 points in their first eight games, seven of them wins, while rocketing up to No. 17 in the polls. But King injured his knee, Houston dropped four of its final five games and now the program is coming off the worst bowl loss in FBS history with no coordinators — defensive coordinator Mark D’Onfrio was fired after the regular season, and offensive coordinator Kendal Briles left for the same job Florida State earlier this week.

Rather than rebuild after two unsatisfactory seasons (by the school’s stated standard), sources said U of H boosters are evaluating all options, including considering bringing in West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen to replace Applewhite.

Zubaz

1). Applewhites tenure at Houston has been nothing short of disasterous. He walked in to a situation where he not only was recruiting in a talent-rich (albeit competitive) environment, but had exceptional talent on the roster already thanks to his predecessor's efforts. His recruiting has stunk, and he has squandered NFL-caliber talent, Ed Oliver chief among them. Usually a guy should get more than two years, but this two years have been so bad that it might be the exception.

That said:

2). Saying they are considering Holgerson is like saying I'm considering Halle Berry. Nobody not named Tuberville is leaving a P5 gig for a G5 one.

LVH

Is it just me or does UH have a really really high opinion of itself.

Yeah they had a good 2015(thanks to getting Florida State with a 3rd string QB) and a couple good non conference wins in 2016 but apart from that they haven't really accomplished that much but they act like their accomplishments are on par with ours in the CUSA/MWC days or Boise State or even UCF.

Eight

Is it just me or does UH have a really really high opinion of itself.

Yeah they had a good 2015(thanks to getting Florida State with a 3rd string QB) and a couple good non conference wins in 2016 but apart from that they haven't really accomplished that much but they act like their accomplishments are on par with ours in the CUSA/MWC days or Boise State or even UCF.

yes and that is being driven by fertitta. he was the one pushing for briles and wouldn't let up until kendal got the oc job. he and the president are obsessed with getting uh into a power conference.

when i read the title i honestly thought it was a wild ass rumor about the texans talking to dana about working with their offense, but uh is freaking nutz

Those wild moonshine regions of West Virginia are safe havens when compared to the imminent dangers that

surround the Cougar High campus in Houston's notorious 3rd Ward.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Unless they know Holgorsen is on the hot seat at WVU, it is a crack smokers’s pipe dream.
Not really

Holgorsen is good friends with the one guy who runs athletics at UH, Tilman Fertitta. He is their big donor, a billionaire and if he is willing to fund the buyouts, which is pocket change for him, then it stands a great chance of happening

Don’t laugh at this one

Eight

Not really

Holgorsen is good friends with the one guy who runs athletics at UH, Tilman Fertitta. He is their big donor, a billionaire and if he is willing to fund the buyouts, which is pocket change for him, then it stands a great chance of happening

Don’t laugh at this one

which is all fine and great except dana is a bit young for a cash grab and there is no guarantee uh lands in power 5 conference.

so you take the paycheck and accept a lower level position or do you stan at wvu

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
M
which is all fine and great except dana is a bit young for a cash grab and there is no guarantee uh lands in power 5 conference.

so you take the paycheck and accept a lower level position or do you stan at wvu

Maybe money talks and with a Texas / Houston recruiting base as opposed to what he has now, he could move UH up the ladder quickly on a national scale and in the process make himself a more viable candidate for a really high profile job as well as make UH a more viable candidate for entry into a better league

Fertitta is determined, focused and loaded.

It may not happen but I would not be surprised if it did

Zubaz

Not really

Don’t laugh at this one
He can win a national title at WVU, he can't do that at Houston. Until that changes, whatever theoreticaltheore he can make at Houston probably doesn't matter much.

Wexahu

He can win a national title at WVU, he can't do that at Houston. Until that changes, whatever theoreticaltheore he can make at Houston probably doesn't matter much.

He’s one 6-6 season away from being canned at WVU, and let’s be honest, his odds of winning a National Title are just a notch above 0 at WVU too. I don’t think it’d be that crazy to think he’d be interested in the job, especially if they money whip him. He’s not going to land a top tier P5 job with his track record so waiting around for that would be futile.

Eight

M

Maybe money talks and with a Texas / Houston recruiting base as opposed to what he has now, he could move UH up the ladder quickly on a national scale and in the process make himself a more viable candidate for a really high profile job as well as make UH a more viable candidate for entry into a better league

Fertitta is determined, focused and loaded.

It may not happen but I would not be surprised if it did

everyone talks about the recruiting base in houston and compare it to usc in la and miami in south florida.

the big difference as todd points out is that right now uh is a lower level of play whether fertitta likes it or not and if dana thinks he is getting beat up recruiting to the big 12 agasint the big 10, acc, and sec just wait until he tries the same in houston with jimbo rolling right now in recruiting.

orange bloods are starting to sweat over the aggie recruiting machine with the opportunity of playing in the sec. what does uh have to offer?

additionally neither the big 12 nor the sec need uh. they bring nothing to either conference they don't have already. texas and atm get more conversation and attention than uh with all the efforts by uh.

i would bet the average person in houston has no clue on uh's mens basketball team.

easy pecking order in houston. texas, oilers and cowboys, nfl, ags-ut-lsu, other p5 schools uh.

Mean Purple

Not really

Don’t laugh at this one
Dana's job is not exactly safe at WVU. So who knows what the dude is thinking right now.

Eight

For what it's worth... Mike Leach & Kliff Kingsbury were the other two "possibilities" mentioned.

i don't know why klif would take that job as i think he is in a great spot w usc. they can land as good a high school talent in regards to quarterbacks and wide recievers, if he turns around usc he is the hero, and why take the step; down to uh.

leach is not a program builder and while he might have the worst situation of the three in pullman in regards to facilities, budget etc... he is also in the best situation in pullman because they leave him alone.

FrogLifeYo

Remind me who is left in Houston to recruit after its pillaged by P5 schools? Ed O was an exception to just about every rule...Houston can be a high G5 school every year but they are never going to on a TCUesque run to get in a P5...The planets would have to align perfectly for that to happen. In today’s CFBs landscape I can’t see it ever happening. The Big 12 is the only place it works and we have pretty much said unless a sure thing from another P5 program comes knocking, we have no desire to expand...Why would we..We have placed a team in the CF playoff now several years in a row

Eight

does houston release any of the early signees who wish to leave with applewhite being fired?

people will say that the kids should choose the school and not the staff, but it is the staff that they have developed relationships with for the past months and now those guys are gone.