• The KillerFrogs

A word about the boot contest

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
First of all, Scott and I want to thank all of you who took the time to write an essay and enter the contest. We had 20 entries and all of them were very good. So good in fact that the judges are having to read each one very carefully and sometimes twice, before the final four can be announced.

Once a final four has been determined, they will be turned over to the celebrity judges, who will choose a winner. In my mind, they are all winners and I wish that we could give a pair of boots to every one who entered.

So give the judges a few more days to read through them all and pick the final four. Shortly thereafter, we'll have a winner.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 17 2010, 06:35 PM) [snapback]546147[/snapback]
Once a final four has been determined, they will be turned over to the celebrity judges, who will choose a winner.

Is Earl from Mesquite one of the Celebrity Judges?
:ph34r:

I'm gonna look really good in those boots. :wink: Been needing a black pair for a while.

In all seriousness, thanks for doing this guys. It was actually a lot of fun. I could have written a 20-page essay. It had been a long while since I've read the book and I had to freshen up a bit on it. I had forgotten how full-throttle it was.

oldscribe

I'm a little surprised at only 20 entries. Honestly, there are more than 20 folks on here who would seem to have the necessary qualities to cough up 250 words or less about ANYTHING, especially with a prize being offered. But yes, thanks for the off-season boost to the board that the essay contest has offered! :wink:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(oldscribe @ Apr 18 2010, 09:02 AM) [snapback]546272[/snapback]
I'm a little surprised at only 20 entries. Honestly, there are more than 20 folks on here who would seem to have the necessary qualities to cough up 250 words or less about ANYTHING, especially with a prize being offered. But yes, thanks for the off-season boost to the board that the essay contest has offered! :wink:

Not a boot guy. I had no interest.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(crunch @ Apr 17 2010, 11:53 PM) [snapback]546213[/snapback]
anybody grow up in rural Texas in the 50's? Billy Clyde Puckett did.

Puckett???
I thought it was a contest to do an essay featuring Billy Clyde Gillispie.

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 18 2010, 09:29 AM) [snapback]546278[/snapback]
Puckett???
I thought it was a contest to do an essay featuring Billy Clyde Gillispie.

So was yours about the time you, BCG, and Greggo were driving to Boyd while snorting coke and enjoying a few "open containers"?

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Apr 18 2010, 09:31 AM) [snapback]546280[/snapback]
So was yours about the time you, BCG, and Greggo were driving to Boyd while snorting coke and enjoying a few "open containers"?

Please do not associate 2314 with coke.
2314 is a well-known Dr. Pepper guy.

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 18 2010, 09:10 AM) [snapback]546276[/snapback]
BTW, there was a set of TCU boots for sale at the spring sale ... wondered how those belonged to?

There was a whole stack of them, so I imagine they were just leftovers. They had the 2007 Houston Bowl logo on the front and the TCU logo on the back. I found a pair that fit me pretty well and I was tempted, but this contest was going on, so I figured I'd give this a shot.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(halfwaytoheaven @ Apr 18 2010, 09:38 AM) [snapback]546284[/snapback]
There was a whole stack of them, so I imagine they were just leftovers. They had the 2007 Houston Bowl logo on the front and the TCU logo on the back. I found a pair that fit me pretty well and I was tempted, but this contest was going on, so I figured I'd give this a shot.

Ahh, didn't see the back, just the front.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 18 2010, 09:37 AM) [snapback]546283[/snapback]
Please do not associate 2314 with coke.
2314 is a well-known Dr. Pepper guy.

And don't associate me with Greg "I did the least prep work in the history of talk radio" Williams.
In my stint in talk radio I busted my arse every day and weekend day prepping for the next show.
Williams makes me sick. That ratbastard stole the money.

jack the frog

QUOTE(oldscribe @ Apr 18 2010, 09:02 AM) [snapback]546272[/snapback]

I doubt I had the right stuff to compete but did not have the chance anyway as things played out. Tax prep and some dad health issues trumped the show for me.

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 18 2010, 09:40 AM) [snapback]546286[/snapback]
And don't associate me with Greg "I did the least prep work in the history of talk radio" Williams.
In my stint in talk radio I busted my arse every day and weekend day prepping for the next show.
Williams makes me sick. That ratbastard stole the money.

What? He did tons of prep! Let's look back at some of the best examples:

In an interview with the Commish, the Chief of Police, David Kunkle:
What um?
Do you like this gig?
Do you like your job?

With Keyshawn:
You tell that Sean Salisbury that was wasn't that great.
Keyshawn: Yeah. Yeah. Well he's a very good friend of mine.

With Eric Lindross:
Do you like to fish?

You should really get your facts straight before to trash someone. The Harline, even post-Greggo, has always been the most prepared show in radio. :biggrin:

BTW, did you hear the latest story of how it didn't work out with him and that Wolfe guy out of WF? It's hilarious. The story is a couple months old now but if I remember right Greggo didn't want a 30k salary so he took a job on a boat dock on Lake Granbury for $10/hr.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Apr 18 2010, 09:42 AM) [snapback]546289[/snapback]
It's Dr Pepper not Dr. Pepper. Have you not learned anything in the last 12 hours?

I heard Dr Pepper's doctorate is really a fake degree from the University of the Caribbean.

QUOTE(jack the weed @ Apr 18 2010, 09:43 AM) [snapback]546290[/snapback]
I doubt I had the right stuff to compete but did not have the chance anyway as things played out. Tax prep and some dad health issues trumped the show for me.

Best wishes to your dad. I hope he's ok.