• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

geefrogs

Ted Williams was the first to constantly face the shift and managed to figure it out. No, I don't expect everyone to adjust and hit a lifetime .344, but .250 to .275 isn't too much to ask. This dude strikes out more than once every three at plate appearances. True, he hits some home runs, but he's the last guy you want at the plate with runners in scoring position.

I understand there are alot of hardcore Rangers fans on this board. This isnt a Joey Gallo issue. This is much bigger than him. But, if you guys need to air out your dirty laundry towards Mr. Gallo. Fire away.

East Coast

Tier 1
I understand there are alot of hardcore Rangers fans on this board. This isnt a Joey Gallo issue. This is much bigger than him. But, if you guys need to air out your dirty laundry towards Mr. Gallo. Fire away.
Actually not a Rangers fan. It seems like there are 2-3 guys just like Gallo on every team in MLB. Makes the game harder and harder to watch.

Eight

Ted Williams was the first to constantly face the shift and managed to figure it out. No, I don't expect everyone to adjust and hit a lifetime .344, but .250 to .275 isn't too much to ask. This dude strikes out more than once every three at plate appearances. True, he hits some home runs, but he's the last guy you want at the plate with runners in scoring position.

ted was no joey gallo, heck the nickname the splendid splinter conjures up visions of an opposite field singles hitter who only hit ..........[ Finebaum ]..... 521 career home runs

wait, so it is possible to hit against the shift and not stirke out and do so with power in a park that doesn't favor left handers?

next you are going to tell me willie mccovey had better success that gallo putting the ball in play against the shift and still somehow hit for power

I've been saying for several years that Gallo is merely a symptom of the problem. The game is fundamentally different than it was even 10 years ago. Joey has been conditioned to play the game a certain way and to ask someone to change their identity as a ballplayer just isn't happening as long as the game is being taught to be played as it is from t-ball to MLB.

ftwfrog

I’m a Rangers fan, and scheiss Joey Gallo. I root for laundry, not players.

(Or maybe that’s the case you are trying to make).

geefrogs

Just the top half of the league. And obviously still some big free agents need to be signed. I would absolutely take a flier on the Tigers, especially if they land Correa.
2022-02-26.png

geefrogs

I thought NFL owners were the worst in pro sports but man, MLB owners publicly dont care about cancelling a month of games.

It's not all of them but its enough. Really, really disappointing threat to the players yet also consequently, the fans.

bc puckett

When I see a guy like Max Scherzer get $130M for 3 years, it's hard for me to work up a lot of sympathy for the players. I know this impasse is not about the top players' pay. Still.
Here's another example of why it's hard to root for either side. Michael Wacha pitched last year for Tampa Bay. He went 3-5 with a 5.03 ERA and made $3mil. He signed a 1 year deal with the Red Sox before the lockout for $7mil. So he sucked and more than doubled his salary. Yea they have it really rough.

geefrogs

Here's another example of why it's hard to root for either side. Michael Wacha pitched last year for Tampa Bay. He went 3-5 with a 5.03 ERA and made $3mil. He signed a 1 year deal with the Red Sox before the lockout for $7mil. So he sucked and more than doubled his salary. Yea they have it really rough.

Sounds like a dumb GM then.

ftwfrog

When I see a guy like Max Scherzer get $130M for 3 years, it's hard for me to work up a lot of sympathy for the players. I know this impasse is not about the top players' pay. Still.
I side with the millionaires over the billionaires. While I would love to see the two sides meet in the middle, the enormous tv contracts aren’t written so that we can sit and watch Jim Crane & Don Simpson for 3 hours.

And from what I’ve read, the players aren’t pushing for more lucrative contracts, a lot of effort is going to put more money into the minor leagues and rookie contracts.

geefrogs

They seem prepared to get it figured out today. Extended deadline for 5pm, might go past that of course. At least there's finally a sense of urgency.

FBallFan123

If Twitter was around at the time, baseball fans would’ve been posting the same thing about the balk or the infield fly rule.

If banning the shift and having a universal DH make for better baseball, I’m all for it.

Same thing about basketball having a shot clock, three-second rule, and goal-tending rules.