• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

What percentage had a WAR > 1?
No idea, not relevant to the point I was making. Folks in this thread are pointing to the top earners and saying they don't understand the MLBPA's position, I'm reminding them the majority of the active members of the MLBPA don't make that money, and are sub $1mm and closer to the league minimum.

Top players have and will always command outsized contracts and value, duh, but what matters is getting money to younger players and forcing MLB to distribute greater % of their revenue "statutorily" so there's a better rev-share with the league. The players have gone backward in this regard for four years, and they need to get back some ground.

I'm a fan of going nuclear and expanding the MLBPA to include all players under team contract, including minor leaguers. The PA has resisted this for years for stupid reasons, but I imagine it won't be long before this changes.

FBallFan123

No idea, not relevant to the point I was making. Folks in this thread are pointing to the top earners and saying they don't understand the MLBPA's position, I'm reminding them the majority of the active members of the MLBPA don't make that money, and are sub $1mm and closer to the league minimum.

Top players have and will always command outsized contracts and value, duh, but what matters is getting money to younger players and forcing MLB to distribute greater % of their revenue "statutorily" so there's a better rev-share with the league. The players have gone backward in this regard for four years, and they need to get back some ground.

I'm a fan of going nuclear and expanding the MLBPA to include all players under team contract, including minor leaguers. The PA has resisted this for years for stupid reasons, but I imagine it won't be long before this changes.

And the point I’m making is the majority of MLB players don’t have a significant impact on wins and losses.

Also, not every player with low service time is “young”.

But I am all for getting more money to young stars … especially the ones who are already elite at a young age, like Trout, Harper, Soto, Acuna, Tatis Jr.

geefrogs

From what I'm reading, last year's minimum was $570K. Players wants $775k. Owners offering $640K. If you produce, you'll get paid millions more. Cry me a farging river.

Potentially years later. That's another sticking point is time of service. The guys on rookie contracts who do help the team in a major way. They are producing but they sure aren't getting millions until their times up. Players just want that shortened a bit for the deserving ones. Yordan Alveraz, the ALCS MVP, he makes 575K. He has a few arbitration seasons coming but not until 2023. Just one example of a guy.

Maybe they'll come up with some sort of bonuses in their contracts or something I dunno.

FBallFan123

Yeah, a 14-team playoff in a league of 30 teams just seems a little too close to the mediocrity you get with NBA teams making the playoffs at or below .500.

I can live with a 12-team MLB playoff.

One hope being it increases the number of teams that are buyers at the trade deadline, without devaluing the full 162 too much … but it’s a balancing act.

A lot of people don’t like the finality of one-game Wild Card … an expansion to 12 would likely do away with that.

FBallFan123

I thought NFL owners were the worst in pro sports but man, MLB owners publicly dont care about cancelling a month of games.

It's not all of them but its enough. Really, really disappointing threat to the players yet also consequently, the fans.

Tom Verducci was on MLB Tonight moments ago, and as he stated, a lot of the pushback on the MLBPA proposals is probably coming from small and mid-market teams who will to take more of a hit, competitively.

As he outlined…

-the cost of young players, which those teams rely on, is going up

-draft compensation on free agents is going away

-the CBT is going up, allowing the top of the market to get further away from you

He sees the CBT as the main sticking point … and you can see both the sides are dug in.

Last edited:

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
scheiss these crybabies!!!
It's all about Frogball now!!!!
Somebody call the Rangers and see if we can use The BBQ Grill, I mean Globe Life, the rest of the season!!

FBallFan123

Great, then you would support the MLBPA turning down today's deal as it comes nowhere close to meaningfully addressing this large problem.

I don’t support either side.

I think Tony Clark’s time leading the MLBPA has been an absolute failure.

MLBPA has gotten routed in previous negotiations with owners … and the MLBPA is trying to make up for a lot of that this time around.

It’s their right to try and do that.

It’s also fair to expect the owners weren’t just going to give them everything they wanted.

So we’re at the very predictable point of canceling games.