• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

FBallFan123

To be fair, if your complaint is about the DH, it isn't Manfred getting rid of that... More like the vast majority of players, coaches, front-office, owners, etc... The fans are maybe 50/50, but the "game" isn't.

Universal DH is a good thing for the players.

It might’ve helped Kevin Cron stick a little longer in the bigs if it existed back when he was with the Dbacks.

I see he’s now headed to Korea.

Perhaps he can make his way back to MLB someday.

It might also end up helping Luken Baker, who’s also seen as very much a 1B/DH player.

geefrogs

The big hangup is revenue sharing and how it's being reinvested in the current players or invested in other things.

They need to get this done within a week if they wanna keep things on schedule.

I do agree with Manfred about being dismissive about the rhetoric on social media by players.

Tweeting isn't how you negotiate. Get to the table and hash things out. Quit being dramatic and posting on social media.

The fans don't care who's right and wrong. Just put the game on the field. On time.

FBallFan123

Eh I’m ok with universal DH. But I never understood why (most) pitchers don’t work more on their hitting. They were probably stud hitters in high school.

Partly, it’s because most MLB prospects don’t develop both sides of the ball at the same pace.

So most MLB teams prefer a a prospect focus on one or the other.

There have been some great two-way players like Dave Winfield and John Olerud in college … but they got fast-tracked to MLB as hitters.

Shohei Ohtani was in the unique position as an international free agent to dictate to any team wanting to sign him that they had to let him do both.

Most draft picks out of college don’t have that leverage.

There was some hope that Ohtani might change teams perspectives a little … but with a universal DH, there may not be much incentive to do it going forward.

The was a recent college case with Brendan McKay … drafted #4 overall 2017, some scouts thought he could make it as a pitcher and hitter … and he was allowed to do both in the minors … but his pitching has been ahead of his he seems destined to be a pitcher.

With a universal DH, not sure we’ll see many other players given that chance.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I am trying and failing to remember the Astros starter who batted .300 but didn't make the Batting Title list because he didn't have enough at-bats...

It was a part of the game. Now it isn't. Can't have mascots sliding into a mug of beer. Can't have Chief Wahoo. No inflatable sex dolls in the dugout. I'm telling you, the game is going to hell...

Eh I’m ok with universal DH. But I never understood why (most) pitchers don’t work more on their hitting. They were probably stud hitters in high school.

My only issue is that pitchers became an absolute joke over the last 20 years. With the college DH and universal DH in the minors, guys may not have taken a competive AB for 7-8 years. Pitchers may have been hitting a buck twenty-five 30 years ago but at least they seemed to try. Guys these days can barely bunt. I don't like it but UDH was necessary.

geefrogs

If things couldnt get worse for baseball (mostly its own doing),

the Tyler Skaggs death and trial is going on and its not pretty. at all. Angels employees giving Skaggs drugs. C.J. Cron and Matt Harvey on the stand. jesus.

For twitter folks, T.J. Quinn is tweeting live from the courtroom.

MAcFroggy

The big hangup is revenue sharing and how it's being reinvested in the current players or invested in other things.

They need to get this done within a week if they wanna keep things on schedule.

I do agree with Manfred about being dismissive about the rhetoric on social media by players.

Tweeting isn't how you negotiate. Get to the table and hash things out. Quit being dramatic and posting on social media.

The fans don't care who's right and wrong. Just put the game on the field. On time.

The owners could lift the lockout anytime they want to get the games played.

I know they would prefer a new CBA before games get played, but let’s not act like they couldn’t end the lockout today.

geefrogs

I know they would prefer a new CBA before games get played, but let’s not act like they couldn’t end the lockout today.

I get your point but, the current CBA expired already. December 1st.

So there HAS to be an agreement made realistically. And both sides are responsible for it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the owners are crap.

LVH

If things couldnt get worse for baseball (mostly its own doing),

the Tyler Skaggs death and trial is going on and its not pretty. at all. Angels employees giving Skaggs drugs. C.J. Cron and Matt Harvey on the stand. jesus.

For twitter folks, T.J. Quinn is tweeting live from the courtroom.
Local media acted like Skaggs was some kind of innocent victim when he died in 2019. Nope. He dug his own grave.

geefrogs

You're right for sure. It is a lockout.

There seems to be some belief that the owners are doing this now because if they didn't the players would go on strike mid-season.

It's a silly situation but, I'm not smart enough or motivated enough to go into details of it all.

What I found interesting in the history of baseball, work stoppages have almost always been strikes and not lockouts.

Good read.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
All I know is, it's almost College Baseball Season. If the imbeciles running MLB can't get it together, then there's going to be a lot of content to fill and CBB is right there to fill it.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Those poor, poor players where the poor downtrodden worst paid guy makes 500k plus to play a game.
Don’t feel sorry for any of them as they hold out by their pools.