• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Eight

Urban probably negative recruits against us. I think we have only lost out on one recruit that we actually had a chance of getting(Browning) to the Buckeyes but then you have local guys like Okudah who never even gave us a look.

probably? urban would say bad things about the woman who gave him life if it landed him a 5-star recruit

how do you think mensa learned to be such a pos?

go back and look at the mess urban left at uf before he had to quit for health reasons

Casey T

Columbus is a fun town, especially the bars on High Street right by campus. There are also 5x as many women there and probably 10x as many who are willing to hook up with a football player just cause he is a football player. Those are some unfortunate recruiting advantages they hold over us besides stadium size and fan base.

Hope we knock their teeth out in September though.

MinFrog

For the last time, this isn’t true. Gary Patterson himself was one of the big pushers to move us to a 1 and done.
Agreed. As much as it is pretty awesome for fans to experience a game against a blue blood. It is not the recipe for the playoffs. The most challenging OOC game should be a decent P5 team (Minn or Cal), not Ohio State.

I am not scared to play anyone, but if you are into maximizing your chances for the playoff, especially with the big xii championship game now, this is not helpful.

Wexahu

Agreed. As much as it is pretty awesome for fans to experience a game against a blue blood. It is not the recipe for the playoffs. The most challenging OOC game should be a decent P5 team (Minn or Cal), not Ohio State.

I am not scared to play anyone, but if you are into maximizing your chances for the playoff, especially with the big xii championship game now, this is not helpful.

As long as it's better to beat a really bad team by a FG than to lose to a really good team by a FG, the best path to the CFP playoffs is by playing basically the easiest schedule possible. And I hate that, but its been the case with rankings forever.

The "best " schedule is one where you play teams that are bad enough to where they are pretty easy to beat but that have a solid enough reputation to where you're not getting accused of being one of those teams that "doesn't play anybody". Minnesota and Cal fit that description perfectly.

FrogLifeYo

As long as it's better to beat a really bad team by a FG than to lose to a really good team by a FG, the best path to the CFP playoffs is by playing basically the easiest schedule possible. And I hate that, but its been the case with rankings forever.

The "best " schedule is one where you play teams that are bad enough to where they are pretty easy to beat but that have a solid enough reputation to where you're not getting accused of being one of those teams that "doesn't play anybody". Minnesota and Cal fit that description perfectly.
And like it or not....We fit that narrative for OSU..

Wexahu

No we don't. The goal is to target teams that are in the 40-70 ranking, not a perennial top 20 team - which we are.

This isn't wrong, but it sure is dumb to me. I wish a ranking system could be created that put a real, tangible value on schedule strength, but it's wishful thinking. Coaches love those automatic wins.

If losing by 10 points to Alabama would improve your ranking much more than a 30-point win over Louisiana-Monroe would (which it should) we'd instantly see a massive adjustment in scheduling strategies overnight.

FrogLifeYo

So TCU is equivalent to Cal or Minnesota?

Of course not...but I would bet it fits the thinking of most OSU fans...

We can win it for sure...However we will be significant dogs in Vegas. Meaning public perception will be that we aren’t in OSU class. We know that isn’t true...On paper this has a lot like the look of our LSU game a few years ago. A game we could have won..Hopefully we take this one.

Wexahu

Curious...Why do you think OSU would play us? Is it because Urban wants a test to get them ready for conference?...

They schedule a little different because they can afford to. When you're regularly reeling in Top 5 recruiting classes a) you know chances are you're going to win the game no matter who you play, b) you don't worry about how a loss could affect the momentum of your program for the future and c) a win enhances CFP positioning. It's as simple as that. OSU will be in the conversation nationally no matter what. TCU will as long as we keep winning a lot of games on a regular basis.

Personally, I think GP had a change of heart in terms of how he wants to schedule after the LSU game. That game kind of took the wind out of our sails right out of the gate and we end up 4-8, and we weren't that bad a team. We just have to go about it with a little more caution than some.