• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

FrogCop19

Reminds me of what Lawrence Taylor would have looked like playing against 8th graders. I'm sure he's great, but he was a man among boys there. Big fish in a little pond. When he gets to the next level and everybody plays like him, he's in for a shock I think. That being said, can't hurt, right? I say go for him.

Reminds me of what Lawrence Taylor would have looked like playing against 8th graders. I'm sure he's great, but he was a man among boys there. Big fish in a little pond. When he gets to the next level and everybody plays like him, he's in for a shock I think. That being said, can't hurt, right? I say go for him.
I honestly don't understand that take. A large part of the recruiting process is to look for athletes who stand out among their HS competition because the gap between any HS and P5 football is absolutely huge. All of them have to make the adjustment and few are going to look like a man among boys when they get to the college game because they are all playing against everyone who likewise stood out from the competition. If they have an instinct for what they are doing and have the measurables, then all you can do is project. How is this kid any different from any of the others?

SuperTFrog

I honestly don't understand that take. A large part of the recruiting process is to look for athletes who stand out among their HS competition because the gap between any HS and P5 football is absolutely huge. All of them have to make the adjustment and few are going to look like a man among boys when they get to the college game because they are all playing against everyone who likewise stood out from the competition. If they have an instinct for what they are doing and have the measurables, then all you can do is project. How is this kid any different from any of the others?
I have kids that go to a small private school and the athletics are a joke. There are guys that look like superstars on our team that wouldn’t even sniff the field at a 5a school and wouldn’t make the team at a big 6a school. If someone at Duncanville or Highland Park looks like a man against boys that is really impressive because there are probably only 50 players in the country that could do that. If someone does it against an OL that averages 5’10” and 200 lbs, it isn’t as impressive because there are 5,000 kids that could do that.

Again, this guy may be an absolute stud, but you can’t know from watching him play against oompaloompas.

froginmn

I have kids that go to a small private school and the athletics are a joke. There are guys that look like superstars on our team that wouldn’t even sniff the field at a 5a school and wouldn’t make the team at a big 6a school. If someone at Duncanville or Highland Park looks like a man against boys that is really impressive because there are probably only 50 players in the country that could do that. If someone does it against an OL that averages 5’10” and 200 lbs, it isn’t as impressive because there are 5,000 kids that could do that.

Again, this guy may be an absolute stud, but you can’t know from watching him play against oompaloompas.
#Oompaloompaist

CountryFrog

This is what makes evaluating high school players so hard. Most of the country is not at the level of 6A football in Texas. So you do have to be able to project guys who are going against far lesser competition a lot of times.

FrogCop19

I completely understand your perspective. I have no idea of your experience in athletics, and I am in no way saying that you're wrong, but in my own experience, the big fish/little pond comparison is very relevant. I've been coaching at the middle school level for over a decade now, and I've seen this happen as kids move on to high school and even followed my students' progress on on to college. There are kids that dominate across every sport in middle school. After two years of praise and attention at school, and sometimes from their outside school activities as well, they begin to believe their own press.

Then, when they get to high school with all the stud athletes from the OTHER middle schools that feed in, they are no longer the best. Some learn to fight and work hard, while others fade back because now they can't dominate like they used to. They dont know how to really push themselves, because it's always been easy for them, and it only gets harder from there.

I firmly believe that is one of the reasons CGMFP has been so successful with the 2-3 star kids in the past. They are hungrier than the higher ranked kids. They play with that famous Patterson chip on their shoulder because they know what it's like to struggle for their spot.

I would rather take a kid who has had to fight his way up through the ranks and learned to struggle than a natural athlete that has dominated solely on his natural gifts.

Of course there are the unicorns of sports, those kids that have the natural gifts AND know how to out-work everyone around them. There are over a million kids in high school football, but by the time they reach the next level, and the one after that, it has been whittled down to thirty-two 53-man rosters. From over a million to just under 1,700. Those aren't the big fish in a little pond, those are more like sharks in a pond.

CryptoMiner

Another grad transfer at LBer from NIU?

Kyle Pugh recently graduated with one year left of eligibility, 6-0/235 2nd team All-Mac

From his bio:

2018 (through 11/7/18)

•Has led or tied for the team lead in tackles in each of the last four games.

•Recorded his first career solo sack last week vs. Toledo and had two tackles for loss to go with eight tackles, six solo.

•Second on the team in tackles on the year.

•Tied his season high for tackles with 10 and recorded 1.5 tackles for loss, half a sack and a pass break up at Akron.

•Made seven stops as NIU kept BYU out of the end zone in a 7-6 win.

•Led NIU with nine tackles, eight solo, vs. Ohio.

•Made a season-high 10 tackles at Ball State and recovered a fumble.

•Registered seven stops at EMU as part of dominant defensive effort.

•Missed the FSU game due to injury. Made six stops, five solo, vs. CMU with a fumble recovery.

•Led the Huskies with nine stops, six solo, at Iowa.

•Came back with six tackles, one for loss, vs. Utah. Missed the final nine games of 2017 with a torn bicep.

CryptoMiner

#3 JUCO LBer for 2019 per Gridiron. RR.com

Brendan Devera, former Rutgers player dismissed for credit card fraud charges (charges were dismissed eventually). His brother Tyler is an unsigned HS senior who plays TE and a former Rutgers commit.

Our top 3 recruits are from a 4A school, a 5A school, and a school in Iowa. So, while your observation that someone playing against lessor competition (which I pointed out in commenting on his film) is certainly valid, it doesn't really answer my question as to how this kid is any different from the many other recruits that you have to project based on their instincts and measureables (which I also qualified as whether they are accurate).

Would I rather be able to recruit the highest ranked players who are dominating at the highest levels? Yes, I would. But unless we suddenly find a way to do that, there is going to be some projection involved with players who are otherwise situated. So, again, I'm not sure what would make this kid different from others.

Latest posts