2019 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-farm-system-rankings-2019?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

These are MLB’s top 15 farm systems

By Jim Callis @JimCallisMLB
August 6, 2019

14. Texas Rangers
Preseason Top 10 Rank: unranked
Top 100 Prospects (3): 3B Josh Jung (No. 60), C Sam Huff (No. 79), RHP Hans Crouse (No. 83)
Prospects Points (MLB rank): 81 (24th)

Though Jung had one of the higher floors in the 2019 Draft, he also has a high offensive ceiling, and the Rangers' system is all about ceilings. There's risk involved with Huff, Crouse and others such as outfielder Bubba Thompson, but the rewards could be huge. Rangers Top 30 Prospects list »

These are the most improved farm systems

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-most-improved-farm-systems-2019?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

By Jonathan Mayo @JonathanMayo
August 6, 2019

5. Rangers (No. 14): This could go in either direction, truth be told. There is so much upside talent in this system, both from the Draft (Hans Crouse, Cole Winn, Bubba Thompson), international signings (Leody Taveras, Anderson Tejeda) and trades (Sherten Apostel), that the Rangers could develop into one of the top systems in baseball in the next couple of years. Or it could go south if those ceilings aren’t reached. Adding college talent like Josh Jung and even Davis Wendzel in the 2019 Draft helps offset the mercurial nature of this group, while the emergence of Sam Huff as one of the top catching prospects in the game certainly doesn’t hurt. Rangers Top 30 Prospects list »

Last edited:

Eight

so we can't actually have a game at the movie set field because there were just a few seats of bleachers, bathrooms, parking, locker rooms etc...

guess they will build something which will basically ruin the current appeal of the site all for the sake of one game that really makes no sense what so ever being played.

so we can't actually have a game at the movie set field because there were just a few seats of bleachers, bathrooms, parking, locker rooms etc...

guess they will build something which will basically ruin the current appeal of the site all for the sake of one game that really makes no sense what so ever being played.

#wetblanket

I actually just came to post this and see that I'm a few hours late. This is awesome. It gave me goosebumps. From what I read it will be temporary and a couple years from now you won't even know they were there. I'm loving this.

Eight

#wetblanket

I actually just came to post this and see that I'm a few hours late. This is awesome. It gave me goosebumps. From what I read it will be temporary and a couple years from now you won't even know they were there. I'm loving this.

you want to bet you won't be able to tell it wasn't there?

the romance to me was that it was a place that embraced the spirit of the game from our childhood.

i can relate to mowing an infield in an open lot, stealing flour to mark the baselines......that was the spirit of the movie to me but i guess i missed it.

how could this go wrong between mlb and fox..

FBallFan123

the romance to me was that it was a place that embraced the spirit of the game from our childhood.

i can relate to mowing an infield in an open lot, stealing flour to mark the baselines......that was the spirit of the movie to me but i guess i missed it.

I think one could argue that some of the great baseball movies from that era like Field of Dreams, The Natural, Bill Durham, Major League, The Sandlot, A League of Their Own, etc., were a big part of the romance kids of a certain generation had towards baseball.

I also think you could say they don’t make many baseball movies quite like those anymore.

How many baseball movies of the last 20-25 years have had the impact of some of those of the 80’s and 90’s?

Moneyball, sure, even tho it’s star is a GM and based on a book about analytics.

What other recent baseball movies come to mind?

Maybe this Field of Dreams game is forced, maybe it’s contrived.

But then, maybe it also renews interest in one of the great baseball movies of all time, and maybe introduces a new generation to the movie.

Eight

I think one could argue that some of the great baseball movies from that era like Field of Dreams, The Natural, Bill Durham, Major League, The Sandlot, A League of Their Own, etc., were a big part of the romance kids of a certain generation had towards baseball.

I also think you could say they don’t make many baseball movies quite like those anymore.

How many baseball movies of the last 20-25 years have had the impact of some of those of the 80’s and 90’s?

Moneyball, sure, even tho it’s star is a GM and based on a book about analytics.

But then, maybe it also renews interest in one of the great baseball movies of all time, and maybe introduces a new generation to the movie.

you can't force feel, you can't force authentic, and that is what i sense with this decision to build a temporary stadium.

MTfrog5

Great. Another generation who thinks Shoeless Joe bats right handed.

I kid, kind of.... that always really bothered me with how simple of a detail that is to get wrong

Purp

How many baseball movies of the last 20-25 years do people still quote and immediately people get the reference?

We work with the youth at our church and I was surprised by how many of the kids knew about The Sandlot and Major League. Even the girls in our class love The Sandlot. Very appropriately, one of the group I had a summer camp quipped, "you're killing me Smalls!" when the one kid who had never seen The Sandlot stated as much. I got a great laugh out of it and so did the other kids around. Perfect play there.

My point is, I agree there aren't great baseball movies being made anymore, but the ones I grew up watching are still popular among young kids today. I noticed last weekend watching some LLWS that a couple kids had Major League as their favorite move and one had Field of Dreams. Hadn't ever noticed that before. It's usually comic book/super hero movies and pop culture favorites in their bios.

Regarding baseball movies...

I'd add Angels in the Outfield and Rookie of the Year to your list for kid movies and Eight Men Out for adult movies from that late 80s - mid-90s era.

Some more recent baseball movies to the ones you mentioned, I enjoyed The Rookie in college and Fever Pitch just after college, For Love of the Game was pretty good in high school and Summer Catch was a pretty good Cape Cod League story in college, Trouble With the Curve might be the most recent good one I can remember and it's at least 5 years old and probably older, 61 and 42 were HBO movies done well, and it seems like there's been another in the last 15 years that merits mention. But you're right, there were more great baseball movies in a 5-6 year period from the late 80s to the early-mid 90s than there have been in the 25 years since. The good news is those movies from the golden era of baseball movies still stand up to scrutiny today even with the younger generation.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

you can't force feel, you can't force authentic, and that is what i sense with this decision to build a temporary stadium.

The game may or may not be forced, but that may depend on where you're coming at it from.

But the movie isn't.

It's one of the greatest love letters to baseball ever written...

Terence Mann: "Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."

FBallFan123

We work with the youth at our church and I was surprised by how many of the kids knew about The Sandlot and Major League. Even the girls in our class love The Sandlot. Very appropriately, one of the group I had a summer camp quipped, "you're killing me Smalls!" when the one kid who had never seen The Sandlot stated as much. I got a great laugh out of it and so did the other kids around. Perfect play there.

My point is, I agree there aren't great baseball movies being made anymore, but the ones I grew up watching are still popular among young kids today. I noticed last weekend watching some LLWS that a couple kids had Major League as their favorite move and one had Field of Dreams. Hadn't ever noticed that before. It's usually comic book/super hero movies and pop culture favorites in their bios.

Regarding baseball movies...

I'd add Angels in the Outfield and Rookie of the Year to your list for kid movies and Eight Men Out for adult movies from that late 80s - mid-90s era.

Some more recent baseball movies to the ones you mentioned, I enjoyed The Rookie in college and Fever Pitch just after college, For Love of the Game was pretty good in high school and Summer Catch was a pretty good Cape Cod League story in college, Trouble With the Curve might be the most recent good one I can remember and it's at least 5 years old and probably older, 61 and 42 were HBO movies done well, and it seems like there's been another in the last 15 years that merits mention. But you're right, there were more great baseball movies in a 5-6 year period from the late 80s to the early-mid 90s than there have been in the 25 years since. The good news is those movies from the golden era of baseball movies still stand up to scrutiny today even with the younger generation.

That's cool that kids still refer back to those movies.

I do see those "your killing me smalls" shirts around.

I'm impressed the kids know A League of Their Own....I still occasionally hear references to it like "there's no crying in baseball".

As you point out, there have been some good baseball movies in more recent years, but I don't know that any of them have come close to the cultural impact that the movies from the prior eras have.

Speaking of recent movies...I have heard some good things about Everybody Wants Some and I've been meaning to watch but haven't yet.

Eight

The game may or may not be forced, but that may depend on where you're coming at it from.

But the movie isn't.

It's one of the greatest love letters to baseball ever written...

Terence Mann: "Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."

the movie to me was more about the relationship ray had with his father and the choices/sacrifices we make as we get older in life than baseball itself.

that aside, i don't have an issue with the movie.

mlb's decision about the game, building the stadium, the two teams, that is what i find forced.

if you want to link it back to the movie why not the chisox and the reds?

heck, if mlb wants to build a stadium then build a facility on the site and donate it to the local high school or american legion or someone to provide a reminder and to have another reason for people to come back to the spot