• The KillerFrogs

2019-2020 TCU basketball thread

Rose Bowl

I remember this was a kid you had said before that you thought might be overrated. I had a couple of people tell me that he was very high on the Frogs and was wanting to sign. I’m not sure we would take him or not but passing on information I was told.

Skip Jansen

I remember this was a kid you had said before that you thought might be overrated. I had a couple of people tell me that he was very high on the Frogs and was wanting to sign. I’m not sure we would take him or not but passing on information I was told.

Your information is correct. He would sign with the Frogs tomorrow. And whether they would take him is the real question. We'll see. IMO, he doesn't have any skills that project to the Big 12. Plus, I don't think he is as good as the two PGs signed last year. I would rather see the Frogs pursue someone like Gaines, who can score as a lead guard.

Skip Jansen

I'd like to see the coaching staff wait until the spring to see what is available. Miles will still be there if they want him. I'd be shocked if he currently has any other P5 commit-able offers. If he wasn't from the metroplex, would the Frogs be considering him at all?

Rose Bowl

I'd like to see the coaching staff wait until the spring to see what is available. Miles will still be there if they want him. I'd be shocked if he currently has any other P5 commit-able offers. If he wasn't from the metroplex, would the Frogs be considering him at all?

What do you think is his biggest weakness as to why you think he isn’t P5? I’d rather my lead be like Fab than Dennis but that’s me.

Skip Jansen

What do you think is his biggest weakness as to why you think he isn’t P5? I’d rather my lead be like Fab than Dennis but that’s me.

I don't see any skill that projects to the P5. I don't expect high school players to have an 'Elite' skill set (although some do). But, I need to see some that project (size, speed, quickness, shooting, ball-handling, etc). I don't see any to be quite honest.

Eight

Frogs need to use their depth tonight. Jamie has a tendency to get stuck on who he perceives is playing well. Gonna need all nine tonight to match Clemson's nine.

And... Des will be the best player on the floor tonight. Needs to assert himself and play like it.

key is which version of des?

they guy who is willing to defer or the guy willing to take charge?

insolventfrog

For what it's worth, Coach Dixon and an assistant I probably should have recognized (Did Santee start dieting? Someone else grow some facial hair?) were at the Cowtown Tipoff at North Crowley last Saturday for the final trio of games that had to have featured over a dozen unclaimed D-I recruits (St. Marks-Allen, Faith Family-Lewisville, and Duncanville-Lancaster). While Keonte George of Lewisville was clearly the best player there and appears to be one growth spurt away" from some RJ Hampton vibes (speaking of unreliable recruiting rankings, I find it hard to believe there are a dozen, never mind thirty-something sophomores in the country better than George), I thought Miles was the obvious choice for next best. No idea what his final stat line was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 30-7-7 range (and probably 50% from three) against 6A defending champ and (the clear) 2019 #1 Duncanville, which tends to play solid team D like crazy, in a game with more intensity than the average regional final. A Duncanville kid off the bench had to have gone something like 9-11 from three (which is what saved the game for Duncanville), and Miles seemed to always have the answer (and it was so fast and furious (they played with a shot clock) that it was regularly vice versa). Miles was solid spotting up from three and able to get around Duncanville's smaller players and finish against the bigger defenders in the lane and at the rim.

If I were a Democratic pollster (but I repeat myself), I'd use my insignificant and unrepresentative sample size to declare Miles the winner of the 2020 presidential election. Or a top-100 player in the class of 2020.

Thankfully, that's not my occupation. Nor is college basketball recruiting. In Coach Dixon and Skip we trust. (And I would like to add my tardy contribution to the "general acclaim bucket" for Skip for sating us poor, starved-for-TCU-basketball-info out-of-town Horned Frog fans.)

Eight

For what it's worth, Coach Dixon and an assistant I probably should have recognized (Did Santee start dieting? Someone else grow some facial hair?) were at the Cowtown Tipoff at North Crowley last Saturday for the final trio of games that had to have featured over a dozen unclaimed D-I recruits (St. Marks-Allen, Faith Family-Lewisville, and Duncanville-Lancaster). While Keonte George of Lewisville was clearly the best player there and appears to be one growth spurt away" from some RJ Hampton vibes (speaking of unreliable recruiting rankings, I find it hard to believe there are a dozen, never mind thirty-something sophomores in the country better than George), I thought Miles was the obvious choice for next best. No idea what his final stat line was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 30-7-7 range (and probably 50% from three) against 6A defending champ and (the clear) 2019 #1 Duncanville, which tends to play solid team D like crazy, in a game with more intensity than the average regional final. A Duncanville kid off the bench had to have gone something like 9-11 from three (which is what saved the game for Duncanville), and Miles seemed to always have the answer (and it was so fast and furious (they played with a shot clock) that it was regularly vice versa). Miles was solid spotting up from three and able to get around Duncanville's smaller players and finish against the bigger defenders in the lane and at the rim.

If I were a Democratic pollster (but I repeat myself), I'd use my insignificant and unrepresentative sample size to declare Miles the winner of the 2020 presidential election. Or a top-100 player in the class of 2020.

Thankfully, that's not my occupation. Nor is college basketball recruiting. In Coach Dixon and Skip we trust. (And I would like to add my tardy contribution to the "general acclaim bucket" for Skip for sating us poor, starved-for-TCU-basketball-info out-of-town Horned Frog fans.)

think we "heard" you the first two times.

so exactly how are you related to miles?

insolventfrog

think we "heard" you the first two times.

so exactly how are you related to miles?
I apologize for the triple post, but there are enough advertisements running these days that it makes figuring out whether something has posted more difficult than reading the insignificant responses of individuals who have nothing better to do than randomly attack fellow Frog supporters online.

As for how I'm related to Miles, and I have no idea how anything I said gave any indication of that (Maybe if you'd have said Keonte George?) I'd say I'm just about as closely related to him as I am to you. I wonder if he would be as embarrassing to be associated with at the millennial Adam and Eve reunion as you appear to be ...

Eight

no freaking clue what you are trying to say in that last sentence, but it is strange when someone who isn't a member all of a sudden posts a dissertation three times about a player who supposedly is being recruited by tcu

thanks for the info

Skip Jansen

The assistant you mentioned is Tony Benford.

I totally agree with you about Keyonte George. He's very good. Hope the Frogs will be in it for him in 2022.

insolventfrog

no freaking clue what you are trying to say in that last sentence, but it is strange when someone who isn't a member all of a sudden posts a dissertation three times about a player who supposedly is being recruited by tcu

thanks for the info
I've been a member, albeit one who contributes infrequently (and generally regarding basketball), under the current heading for a few years -- and posted just as infrequently under another heading for a decade or so prior to the site change a few years ago. I've seen Miles play twice in my life and would rather have Guyer's Coles or Duncanville's Peavy in the current class. Or the 6'7 DeSoto junior (Powell?) who apparently committed to Arkansas already. Or the 6'6 sophomore from Faith Family. Or ...