• The KillerFrogs

Liberty game thread

Right now we are 8th in the conference in Kenpom ratings (efficiency rating system), 59th overall. 100th in offensive efficiency (9th in conference), an impressive 14th in defensive efficiency (fifth). Gonna have to get that offensive efficiency up into the mid 50s to be a bubble team.

Last edited:

Skip Jansen

I’m just glad there’s talk about the team. I believe we have more talent than we’ve shown. I get frustrated because I never see any adjustments. There were several things we could have done to exploit their pack line defense but never did.

You're right. I saw Big Kev seal the post (tactic used against the pack line) several times but our perimeter guys seemed a little tentative getting him the ball. Had a lot of young guys on the floor.

They will get better with recognition and decision making. Having teaching points and film work to go along with a win is a good thing.

Eight

Murray State beat Greenville tonight 173-95. And MSU only made five 3’s. That must be some stifling defense Greenville plays.

had to look up greenville college and the best i can guess is they try to play a loyola-maramount style game with division 3 talent

through 3 games they have averaged 97 points a game and apparently in 2016 they averaged over 110 points a game.

now for the flip side of that style. they are 0-3 and have given up 174 to samford, 138 to kansas city, and then the 173 to murray state.

berryfrog95

Lol....Murray only made 5 3-pointers as mentioned but Greenville hit 20 and lost by 78, LMAO

Course Greenville missed (57) 3-point shots which undoubtedly led to 45 assist for layups and dunks for Murray, LMAO again

Delray Frog

based upon the last 4 years i guess it is what we can expect as the frogs are 29-43 over that time.

the bigger question is expecting the frogs to finish at .500 wildly excessive or appropriate
Take a look at the 4 years prior to that and I think you will see they are making progress.

Eight

Take a look at the 4 years prior to that and I think you will see they are making progress.

trent's years weren't pretty at all, but the situation wasn't exactly the same either in regards to facilities, budget for assistants, or the talent he inherited to compete in a conference was that was a step up.

additionally you would think it had to be fairly tough to recruit a player who would come to watch a game at a high school gym off campus and yet somehow when dixon came to tcu he inherited a roster with brandon parrish, karviar shepherd, mike williams, vlad,alex robinson, jd miller, crhis washburn, and kenrich.

dixon's conference records have been 6-12, 9-9, 7-11, and 7-11 which is why i asked the question about what are appropriate expectations for the program. dixon's contract runs through 2024 and if the program were to go 3 more seasons of 7-11 should we be happy or is it okay to be a bit disappointed?

Eight

That sad thing about 9-9, 7-11, 7-11 is that had we been able to shoot 75% FT...

number of things have happened above and beyond ft%, if as a team they had shot better, if fisher doesn't get hurt, if davis goes to class, if noi doesnt' do whatever that resulted in he and his cousin leaving, if you don't lose 10 of 13 recruits you signed in your first 3 recruiting classes etc...

there is some solid experienced talent starting with kevin and you have some young players who are showing potential in miles, todd, francisco, and easley.

we have been here before and a big key is how things fit together and progress not just over this year, but in the near future

that is why i am curious about what is a reasonable expectation

Wexahu

Eight-

That was my point. Everyone has different ideas about where expectations come from.

As for what's an "appropriate" level. That's for each person to decide. Everyone views it differently.

My expectations aren't very high, and to be honest it's primarily because of the Head Coach.

Wog68

number of things have happened above and beyond ft%, if as a team they had shot better, if fisher doesn't get hurt, if davis goes to class, if noi doesnt' do whatever that resulted in he and his cousin leaving, if you don't lose 10 of 13 recruits you signed in your first 3 recruiting classes etc...

there is some solid experienced talent starting with kevin and you have some young players who are showing potential in miles, todd, francisco, and easley.

we have been here before and a big key is how things fit together and progress not just over this year, but in the near future

I will be excited if we ever become the pre-season pick for 5th place.

East Coast

Tier 1
Coach Dixon is a massive improvement over every coach we have had since Billy Tubbs. That being said, with the current facilities, the amount we are paying him, and his history, I think a reasonable expectation is the NCAA tournament at least every other year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

None of that is incorrect. Yet the point I was trying to make is, even beyond all the tumult and chaos, just that little improvement in a fundamental aspect of the game would have made such an enormous difference.

It's the little things that count.

trent's years weren't pretty at all, but the situation wasn't exactly the same either in regards to facilities, budget for assistants, or the talent he inherited to compete in a conference was that was a step up.

additionally you would think it had to be fairly tough to recruit a player who would come to watch a game at a high school gym off campus and yet somehow when dixon came to tcu he inherited a roster with brandon parrish, karviar shepherd, mike williams, vlad,alex robinson, jd miller, crhis washburn, and kenrich.

dixon's conference records have been 6-12, 9-9, 7-11, and 7-11 which is why i asked the question about what are appropriate expectations for the program. dixon's contract runs through 2024 and if the program were to go 3 more seasons of 7-11 should we be happy or is it okay to be a bit disappointed?
I'd be a "bit disappointed", but I would think more of the same will result in an extension when the decision has to be made. It's a tough conference and we are recruiting and performing at a level we have never been at. Tougher call will be if we regress.

Big Frog II

I believe our recruiting the last two years had greatly improved. I expect it to pay dividends in the coming years. Our reliance early on of Australia/New Zealand talent probably set us back a few years. We seem to now be headed in the right direction.