• The KillerFrogs

Liberty game thread

Does RJ scare any of you as much as he scares me when he is running the point? He is a walking turnover and almost cost us, again.
He's been very inefficient for sure. We'll see what Dixon does. RJ is going to be on the floor but maybe Dixon changes his role a bit.

Assist:TO:
RJ 6:7
FF 7:1
Miles 8:5

Others
Todd 4:2
O'Bannon 0:2
PJ 2:3
Easley 4:2

Eight

I'd be a "bit disappointed", but I would think more of the same will result in an extension when the decision has to be made. It's a tough conference and we are recruiting and performing at a level we have never been at. Tougher call will be if we regress.

the conference is tough no doubt and i think this is where it gets tricky.

if recruiting doesn't result in improved performance and three more years of 7-11 would put the frogs at 50-76 in 7 seasons of big 12 conference play, no seasons above .500, and only 1 season at .500

that to me would not merit an extension for a coach who is among the top 20 paid coaches in the country, but is that unreasonable?

Eight

I believe our recruiting the last two years had greatly improved. I expect it to pay dividends in the coming years. Our reliance early on of Australia/New Zealand talent probably set us back a few years. We seem to now be headed in the right direction.

no doubt losing 10 of 13 recruits in those first 3 classes kid any real chance of developing players/ depth and i think that has putted added pressure in developing the players in the 2019 and 2020 classes

there does appear to be a core of young players in francisco and taryn who have started to develop their skills and build out their games which is critical as well as getting early production from players who can contribute early such as miles

i look at gonzaga who is not only gotten great early production from the highly acclaimed frosh suggs, but also kispert who over 4 years has developed from a guy who some questioned if he belonged on the roster to someone who has scored over 20 points per game in their first two games against decent comp

corey did however, show improvement each year in his skills, game awareness, and physique and that is a concern with some of the players on the roster

the conference is tough no doubt and i think this is where it gets tricky.

if recruiting doesn't result in improved performance and three more years of 7-11 would put the frogs at 50-76 in 7 seasons of big 12 conference play, no seasons above .500, and only 1 season at .500

that to me would not merit an extension for a coach who is among the top 20 paid coaches in the country, but is that unreasonable?

It would be a tough decision. In addition to conference record, I think the trajectory of recruiting, the roster make up/player development at the time and and nonconference and post season performance would play into the decision.

Rose Bowl

Anybody that thinks RJ is a problem just isn’t watching closely. Is he a great PG, no, is he a bad one, no but he gets all the ridicule. Miles had three TO’s and 0 assts yesterday but nobody is getting on him. Something to ask is why are we so dependent on RJ? A couple of times late FF and Miles instinctively looked for RJ and it led to turnovers. To me that is coaching and not the players fault.

My expectations are that we go to the dance 7 out of 10 years. Is that realistic, to me it is but others may disagree.

Eight

Anybody that thinks RJ is a problem just isn’t watching closely. Is he a great PG, no, is he a bad one, no but he gets all the ridicule. Miles had three TO’s and 0 assts yesterday but nobody is getting on him. Something to ask is why are we so dependent on RJ? A couple of times late FF and Miles instinctively looked for RJ and it led to turnovers. To me that is coaching and not the players fault.

My expectations are that we go to the dance 7 out of 10 years. Is that realistic, to me it is but others may disagree.

think part of the frustration with rj comes from his being a 4th year junior who has played a lot of basketball for the frogs and that brings a degree of scrutiny that hasn't gotten directed to a true freshman playing point two games into his college career.

skip wrote if i recall correctly that dixon wants rj to be a closer for this squad and that means being the guy with the ball a great deal of the time in the half court offense as we saw alex in the past.

forgot the poster in this thread, but as someone pointed out rj has done a very good job improving his efforts at the free throw line and if he can make solid decisions and continue to shoot 80% from the line that is a good start.

big key for me with rj is his shooting. if he really is going to be the guy in the half court he has got to get his fg percentage up and i mean not just a bit. not sure how this offense works if he is shooting in the same 35-37% range from the floor we have seen the past two years.

still early, still getting into the flow of the season, new team etc.... if we could see rj at 45% from the field with a slight positive a/to ratio, and the ft% around 80% i think we are in good shape

personally, he can stop shooting threes and let francisco and tarnyn catch and shoot, but rj can't dominate the ball and shoot 35%

Rose Bowl

I understand where you are coming from but I go back to why we depend on him so much. RJ has gotten ridicule since he was a freshman mainly because he isn’t a good outside shooter. He most certainly needs to be a better shooter and facilitator but then you need to be mad at Jamie for putting him in that position.

There’s no player on the team that Jamie has more confidence in than RJ. If you have a problem with this then you have a problem with the head coach.

Eight

I understand where you are coming from but I go back to why we depend on him so much. RJ has gotten ridicule since he was a freshman mainly because he isn’t a good outside shooter. He most certainly needs to be a better shooter and facilitator but then you need to be mad at Jamie for putting him in that position.

There’s no player on the team that Jamie has more confidence in than RJ. If you have a problem with this then you have a problem with the head coach.

not mad at rj or jamie and have said here more than once i don't like their half court offense, think it depends way too much on a single player beating their defender off the dribble and would love them work more inside out at the start of game using samuel inside to draw defenders back inside away from the 3 point line

felt the offense has been the best when the ball moved around the floor and didn't stick with one player and it has struggled when one ball handler dominated the ball. we saw the difference between when jaylen ran the offense and alex. we saw the difference with davis and alex and we saw the problems last year with dennis and rj as they didn't really have a guy who moved the ball that well.

hopefully miles can be that guy

flyfishingfrog

4th year guys vs kid with 2 games

the fact that you even have to bring up that comparison shows the issue with RJ

Eight

we don't really have a big 12 basketball thread so will add this here knowing there is a very good chance no one reads it.

ok state plays a very good second half and ends up with a solid win at marquette and they are now 3-0

kansas comes back against kentucky and is now 2-1 with their only loss to gonzaga

texas hammers indiana and now faces unc. has shaka finally got in worked out in austin? they have got some athletic bigs.

west virginia is playing gonzaga on espn tonight and baylor is playing illinois, not sure which game is first in the doubleheader

somehow ou isn't playing until they face the frogs

Horned Toad

we don't really have a big 12 basketball thread so will add this here knowing there is a very good chance no one reads it.

ok state plays a very good second half and ends up with a solid win at marquette and they are now 3-0

kansas comes back against kentucky and is now 2-1 with their only loss to gonzaga

texas hammers indiana and now faces unc. has shaka finally got in worked out in austin? they have got some athletic bigs.

west virginia is playing gonzaga on espn tonight and baylor is playing illinois, not sure which game is first in the doubleheader

somehow ou isn't playing until they face the frogs
Eight, please start the Big 12 Basketball thread and post this.