• The KillerFrogs

Offseason Cord Cutting: YouTube TV or Hulu TV?

Horny4TCU

To address OPs OG Post...

I really liked Hulu TV, but it was really expensive. After last season, I cancelled it... haven't decided to get it back yet. But it did it's job and I watched a lot of good games on it last year. It got all the ESPNs and CBS, ABC, and Fox channels with games.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
To address OPs OG Post...

I really liked Hulu TV, but it was really expensive. After last season, I cancelled it... haven't decided to get it back yet. But it did it's job and I watched a lot of good games on it last year. It got all the ESPNs and CBS, ABC, and Fox channels with games.
$60 a month was expensive? OK

netty2424

I’ve been carrying both Direct tv and YouTube tv for a couple months now just making sure I’m good with YouTube tv enough to cut the cord.

One thing I don’t like is, which is minor, you can’t surf a channel guide while keeping the show you’re watching on the screen, or at least playing so you can hear it. And there’s not a previous channel option so no back and forth between two games during commercials. Maybe these options are available?

Overall it’s been good so far with few complaints. My wife can’t seem to just not turn on direct tv and give YouTube tv a chance so often times we are on direct tv instead of YouTube tv just because.

We had a storm a week ago or so and direct tv couldn’t get a signal enough to watch even SD. YouTube tv came in flawlessly, which surprised me considering we live rural and have line of sight tower to tower internet.

Also called direct tv last month about my bill going up, AGAIN. Told them I’m comparing YouTube tv and they gave me several credits and back dated them. Got my bill this month and I had a $497 credit. Couldn’t believe it. I’ll have free direct tv for a few months. Also found out after years of not knowing, with AT&T cell phone plan, you get HBOmax for free. So we cancelled HBO, reducing our direct RSV plan even further.

Mean Purple

Now that Sony has announced the end of Vue will come at the end of the month, I need to find a replacement for the excellent service I've been enjoying for the last two years. It looks like YouTube TV and Hulu TV are the only two real contenders with a similar channel lineup. We've had Hulu for the last 12 months thanks to a freebie with my Spotify subscription, but other than watching a few films we don't use it much, and my only experience with YouTube is their basic video service. So, does anyone here use one of these two subscription services and if so can you enlighten us as to why you're a happy subscriber (or not)?

I'm specifically looking for information on:
  • Do these services suck the bandwidth from your internet (slow down in surfing while streaming)?
  • Offer good features and streaming away from home (on trips in and out of your home area)?
  • Allow for multiple streams (devices)?
  • Is the DVR feature and access to On Demand content easy to use?
Heads up. Youtube TV is prone to dropping channels now too.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Heads up. Youtube TV is prone to dropping channels now too.
Actually I haven’t subscribed to another TV service, just been rocking my free Hulu (thanks Spotify), Netflix (not sure how much longer), and free HBOMax (thanks AT&T). Haven’t felt like we missed anything these last 9 months.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
...which surprised me considering we live rural and have line of sight tower to tower internet.
We live out in the sticks and have LOS internet as well. Good outfit, few drops, and decent speed. I am curious about Starlink as a service provider down the line, considering their purported bandwidth and footprint. It's just what the doctor ordered for rural folk!

jack the frog

I really like YouTube TV and hate to switch but really have no choice since the Fox Sports SW and Fox Sports SW Plus were dropped. I might just put my YouTube service on snooze for 3 months, although it does sound like people are very happy with Hulu Live. If you are outside of the big cities in Texas keep an eye on your Fox Sports channels. They did not make the cut during the Sinclair negotiations according to YouTube.

I still do not understand if I lose college football by not having Fox Sports SW and Fox Sports SW Plus or if if college football is carried by FS1 and FS2 only.

This may not be the latest info:

https://www.techhive.com/article/35...-situation-a-total-mess-for-cord-cutters.html

Eight

I really like YouTube TV and hate to switch but really have no choice since the Fox Sports SW and Fox Sports SW Plus were dropped. I might just put my YouTube service on snooze for 3 months, although it does sound like people are very happy with Hulu Live. If you are outside of the big cities in Texas keep an eye on your Fox Sports channels. They did not make the cut during the Sinclair negotiations according to YouTube.

I still do not understand if I lose college football by not having Fox Sports SW and Fox Sports SW Plus or if if college football is carried by FS1 and FS2 only.

This may not be the latest info:

https://www.techhive.com/article/35...-situation-a-total-mess-for-cord-cutters.html

son has fubu and is happy with it, we will give it a try the weekend before our youtube tv comes up for renewal

not thrilled with the price increase though we did get cartoon network and scheiss youtube and their politics

netty2424

We live out in the sticks and have LOS internet as well. Good outfit, few drops, and decent speed. I am curious about Starlink as a service provider down the line, considering their purported bandwidth and footprint. It's just what the doctor ordered for rural folk!
Yah I’m hoping for big things from Starlink. Direct TV installer told me about this option a couple years ago, and last I hear AT&T was testing it in Georgia, but not sure where it’s at really in regards to being readily available. I was hopeful for this option coming sooner than later.
https://about.att.com/innovationblog/2019/03/project_airgig.html

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
One thing I don’t like is, which is minor, you can’t surf a channel guide while keeping the show you’re watching on the screen, or at least playing so you can hear it. And there’s not a previous channel option so no back and forth between two games during commercials. Maybe these options are available?
You can with Hulu and going back is easy using the guide's recent channels. Hulu TV has a lot more features on finding programming by genres as well as the guide. I like it much better than YTL.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yah I’m going for big things from Starlink. Direct TV installer told me about this option a couple years ago, and last I hear AT&T was testing it in Georgia, but not sure where it’s at really in regards to being readily available. I was hopeful for this option coming sooner than later.
https://about.att.com/innovationblog/2019/03/project_airgig.html
Hmmm... That looks interesting. I imagine that the old bugaboos of latency and upstream bandwidth reared their heads, in addition to differentiating between whole grids and the volume of traffic involved. Oh, and the fact that the power lines are owned by a host of different outfits that would make transmission licensing and maintenance a nightmare.

Maybe it was actually easier to put a cloud of satellites in orbit and have them communicate via a network of lasers to ground stations spread across the globe...

netty2424

You can with Hulu and going back is easy using the guide's recent channels. Hulu TV has a lot more features on finding programming by genres as well as the guide. I like it much better than YTL.
I'm running Hulu as part of the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu package. I have not spent much time in the Hulu app though as I felt like YTtv on paper made more sense. I'll give Hulu a second look. thanks

Opintel

Moderators
Switched from YTtv to Hulu Live in the Disney+ (ESecPN+) package for 61.99 plus tax. Looks great, and more content to never have time to watch. o_O

Five bucks cheaper too.

JugbandFrog

I get my internet through Spectrum and my TV through Hulu, and it was still cheaper than going all in with Spectrum, but I signed up for a Double Play Select package for $109 that bumps my internet speeds and gives me all the sports channels I need (except ESPNU, which I could add for an additional $25 to go to the silver package).

This is probably the best package I have been on, PLUS no cable box or cable box fees. I run everything through the app on my TVs.

Atomic Frawg

For those who use Hulu, I have a question. YTTV allows you to add up to five accounts that can be customized for each account, but only three can be streaming at a time. So, in theory, dad can have his account with his channels, mom can have hers with her channels, and kids in college can have accounts with their channel preferences. But again, only three streams can be running at once.

Hulu Live doesn't seem to have anything similar as far as multiple accounts, and it seems that only two streams can be running at the same time.
Am I right?

Latest posts