• The KillerFrogs

Listenbee Lawsuit Update 3/19/2018

netty2424

I'm guessing TCU's legal fees have already gone over 200k, and would've wound up north of 500k if this actually went to trial. This leads me to believe his settlement is somewhere near or below 300k. Since it was likely a contingency, up to 40% is going to his attorney. After taxes, I think his ceiling on take home is 133k (but probably lower).

This is nowhere near retirement money. KL would've been much better off keeping the goodwill he built during his TCU career with our alumni, than having that settlement. He could've milked a 50k a year job off of some TCU alumni sap for the next decade at least. That ship has sailed.

This is what happens when you get caught playing checkers instead of chess.
Lol at lawyer fees. That’s absurd.

YA

I doubt he got anything.
The term dismissed was used. Granted, going off a "news" report.
Even trillion dollar settlements end with the suit being dismissed with prejudice. Standard language to end the case but has no bearing on if money was exchanged or not.

PO Frog

I doubt he got anything.
The term dismissed was used. Granted, going off a "news" report.
Lawsuits get dismissed when they settle. There would have been zero incentive for a plaintiff firm to settle this before a roll of the dice at trial unless they got paid something. That’s how they work. Nuisance value alone would have been a few hundred k.

Frog-in-law1995

Lawsuits get dismissed when they settle. There would have been zero incentive for a plaintiff firm to settle this before a roll of the dice at trial unless they got paid something. That’s how they work. Nuisance value alone would have been a few hundred k.

Listenbee was going to owe a sizeable chunk of atty fees to TCU for its defense of his failed 91a motion as soon as judge McCoy signed the order. TCU submitted 60 grand as reasonable for defense work already done in trial court and 2nd COA, and another 15-55, depending on how the sup ct treated Listenbee’s appeal there. He had incentive to settle.

Bob Sugar

Listenbee was going to owe a sizeable chunk of atty fees to TCU for its defense of his failed 91a motion as soon as judge McCoy signed the order. TCU submitted 60 grand as reasonable for defense work already done in trial court and 2nd COA, and another 15-55, depending on how the sup ct treated Listenbee’s appeal there. He had incentive to settle.
Yep. He was already in the hole a ton and he wasn't overturning the 91a Motion at the supreme court. His attorneys never should have filed that motion. My guess is that he is not going to see a lot of money out of this settlement, if any at all.

Frog-in-law1995

Yep. He was already in the hole a ton and he wasn't overturning the 91a Motion at the supreme court. His attorneys never should have filed that motion. My guess is that he is not going to see a lot of money out of this settlement, if any at all.

Never is right. Just a horrible tactical decision. The only way you lose leverage to force a pretty nice cost of defense settlement is to get in the hole by losing a 91a.

PO Frog

He's judgment proof and I don't see TCU going after a former player for costs. I agree that he didn't net much out of the deal, but the actual financial risk to him personally was non-existent if for nothing other than horrible optics.

mc1502

I'm guessing TCU's legal fees have already gone over 200k, and would've wound up north of 500k if this actually went to trial. This leads me to believe his settlement is somewhere near or below 300k. Since it was likely a contingency, up to 40% is going to his attorney. After taxes, I think his ceiling on take home is 133k (but probably lower).

This is nowhere near retirement money. KL would've been much better off keeping the goodwill he built during his TCU career with our alumni, than having that settlement. He could've milked a 50k a year job off of some TCU alumni sap for the next decade at least. That ship has sailed.

This is what happens when you get caught playing checkers instead of chess.

$50K? Serious question. You think only $50k in that situation? I would think something in the $75k - $100k range. What the hell can anyone do with $50k? Did he graduate?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
This all y’all:

giphy.gif

H0RNEDFR0G

$50K? Serious question. You think only $50k in that situation? I would think something in the $75k - $100k range. What the hell can anyone do with $50k? Did he graduate?

He did graduate, with a degree in social work and communications.

According to the survey below, while the average 2018 college graduate expects to earn 60k a year after graduation, they will actually earn an average of $48,400 a year. Graduates with social work degrees are not pulling that average up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/college-grads-expect-to-earn-60000-in-their-first-job----few-do.html

H0RNEDFR0G

Lol at lawyer fees. That’s absurd.

Maybe Oil & Gas litigation is different, but I was quoted $500,000 in estimated lawyer fees for a lawsuit that we wound up settling. The amount was much higher than $1 million though.

edit: found this article regarding employment lawsuits suggesting that taking it to trial would be $250,000 in 2012. Costs have definitely gone up in the past 7 years. 500k may be high, but it's far from absurd. It's definitely over $300k to litigate a case like this.

https://www.cersnow.com/blog/the-average-employee-lawsuit-costs-250000how-safe-is-your-company/

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Maybe Oil & Gas litigation is different, but I was quoted $500,000 in estimated lawyer fees for a lawsuit that we wound up settling. The amount was much higher than $1 million though.

edit: found this article regarding employment lawsuits suggesting that taking it to trial would be $250,000 in 2012. Costs have definitely gone up in the past 7 years. 500k may be high, but it's far from absurd. It's definitely over $300k to litigate a case like this.

https://www.cersnow.com/blog/the-average-employee-lawsuit-costs-250000how-safe-is-your-company/

But it’s good to know lawyers are only in it for the good of their clients...

Billy Clyde

But it’s good to know lawyers are only in it for the good of their clients...

Just like it's good to know plumbers, electricians, football players, doctors, salespeople, oil&gas producers, all are only in it for the good of their clients? Thank goodness we live in a completely altruistic world where nobody is in it to get paid.

YA

Just like it's good to know plumbers, electricians, football players, doctors, salespeople, oil&gas producers, all are only in it for the good of their clients? Thank goodness we live in a completely altruistic world where nobody is in it to get paid.
AND insurance adjusters, appraisers and other con men who work in the insurance industry acting like they are clean as a new snowfall