• The KillerFrogs

Cold as H#LL

back_in_black

Moderators
I moved to Colorado and love the weather. We get some below zero but then it warms quickly. Snow one day, 50 the next, and snow 3 days later. Something for everyone. Rarely gets above 90 in the summer and 40’s are common on a July morning. Beats the crap out of the heat and humidity.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
THIS is why I live in SoCal.

I’ve been to Chicago in January and experienced the minus 20 with the wind chill type weather and no way no how could live in that. Be safe everyone. Frostbite is no joke.

Yep, I never needed a coat or AC to keep the China cabinet from falling during an earthquake when I lived in the San Gabriel Valley...

Horny4TCU

I would trade with anyone that has snow right now. I love snow and I have missed it in DFW the past couple of years. We have had cold snaps, but no precipitation during those colder days. What's the point of cold weather, without snow?

froginmn

At least at 105 degrees you can still go out at night or early in the morning to do your chores. At -40 you can't go out anytime. Not even sure how you stay warm in your house. Not sure how cars and other equipment work...
You can go out, you just can't stay outside. I started my car this morning (no issue, but it was in the garage) then went to start my daughter's car, which was outside, and pull it into the garage. Slow to start but it did. Need to brake early and hard because they're slow to react when the brake fluid is that cold. Cars make ungodly sounds at these extreme temps.

Houses are insulated so well you wouldn't even know it's cold outside.

Nobody really works outside jobs when it's this cold. Construction crews are sent home. My former BIL was in that situation a while ago.

The other thing about this cold is that if you breathe in through your nose, your nostrils can literally freeze together for a quick second.

You don't want to run out of gas or break down, and if you do, you stay in the car without opening the door, until someone gets there to help. Crazy weather but it will be 35 degrees Saturday (I know how cold that seems but it will feel really warm in comparison).

froginmn

Add:

They pulled mail carriers off of routes for today, snowplows off of roads in SW Minnesota last night, and now have asked some residents to turn down thermostats to 60 degrees due to s natural gas shortage.

Never seen anything like this global warming - um, climate change.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
"There is no such thing as inclement weather; only inappropriate clothing."

I once visited a place in Guatemala, the top of an old volcano, which had quite an elevation. The center of the peak held a clear freshwater lake, the shore of which was dotted round with various fruit trees. Apples next to bananas. To one side was the Pacific, and across an expanse of jungle, the Caribbean. Cool breezes constantly wafted across the rancho and kept things perfectly pleasant. The sun shone brightly, but the breeze and the shade kept it completely bearable. That place may have been the closest to paradise I have ever been...

FrogAbroad

I once visited a place in Guatemala, the top of an old volcano, which had quite an elevation. The center of the peak held a clear freshwater lake, the shore of which was dotted round with various fruit trees. Apples next to bananas. To one side was the Pacific, and across an expanse of jungle, the Caribbean. Cool breezes constantly wafted across the rancho and kept things perfectly pleasant. The sun shone brightly, but the breeze and the shade kept it completely bearable. That place may have been the closest to paradise I have ever been...
Sounds like Panajachel. Great little town.

tcudoc

pauldouglas_1484270738_Minnesota%20Culture.GIF

ShadowFrog

Moderators

But......how was the beer?

Chongo94

Saw on the news that the steam from a guy’s shower turned his walls into ice and he had legit icicles hanging down inside his home. Crazy.

Last edited:

LisaLT

Yep, I never needed a coat or AC to keep the China cabinet from falling during an earthquake when I lived in the San Gabriel Valley...
how often did you have that issue? Ive lived here quite some time (20+ years) and have only experienced one large quake big enough to do damage - the northridge shaker. anything under a 5 on the richter scale doesn't even wake me up

Eight

how often did you have that issue? Ive lived here quite some time (20+ years) and have only experienced one large quake big enough to do damage - the northridge shaker. anything under a 5 on the richter scale doesn't even wake me up

tough to make the earth move enough to get your attention?