• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

Purp

I have lived in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Oklahoma. Louisiana and Indiana new have been in most states. KC and the Carolinas brag about their BBQ, but they tend to get insulted when I say there is only one pure style and that is Texas BBQ. None of this vinegar based sauce they have in the Carolinas that uses only pork. Don't even get me started on chili with spaghetti in it..
Carolina "BBQ" ranks among the worst things I've ever eaten in my life. I've eaten BBQ rib MREs raw and enjoyed them more than that tripe.

YA

I'm not going to lie. I like BBQ be it Texas, KC, Carolina and yes even northern Alabama white sauce BBQ. I love me some BBQ. On road trips in Texas I have a BBQ bible that I found on the internet. Wife hates it, but I will stop in randomville based on the net to eat. Typically I take a cooler for bringing back my finds. Im not shy either on my searches. The more random, wrong part of town and quite frankly shack looking place tends to be better and have more love than the known places.

Bizarro Frog

What makes Heim really good is that they have sides that are not an afterthought or from a can. Seems like most BBQ places just offer the standard cole slaw, potato salad, flavorless beans and duck bread. Heim offers some great sides and their bed are pretty good. Plus they have have multiple sauces with multiple levels of heat.

FrogAbroad

I agree with your comment about Angelos. There were three of us who ate there in the 90's and all 3 of us got sick and I mean toilet hugging sick. Haven't been back since then

There is, of course, a general human tendency to remember everything was better "back in the day," but I started hitting Angelo's in the mid-60's (when there was still sawdust on the floor) and it was great. But over the years, most likely through changes in family ownership and management, the product has slud downhill. Last time I was there it was good, but not up to the "back in the day" standard. Unfortunately I very seldom get close to Fort Worth (or "the Dallas area" as it is occasionally and infamously know by those damyankees who, like hemorrhoids, sometimes drop down just to plague decent folk) so Cowtown's current "State of the Barbecuedom" is unknown to me. I just hope the next time I do visit, the Star Cafe still has its signature Prime Filet and CFS.

FrogAbroad

I feel for y'all having to eat BBQ anywhere in Texas. I am guessing the absolute worst BBQ anywhere in Texas is hands down better than anything passing for BBQ up here.

Used to go to someplace in Pfugerville that was wonderful. But then you can pretty much pull into any hole in the wall place in Texas and find decent BBQ.

I lived in Pflugerville '68-'70 during grad school...I remember the place, but not the name...exceedingly above-average product.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Maybe the word comes from the Caribbean, but the process is European.

"European meat-smoking traditions were brought by German and Czech settlers in Central Texas during the mid-19th century. The original tradition was that butchers would smoke leftover meat that had not been sold so that it could be stored and saved. As these smoked leftovers became popular among the migrants in the area, many of these former meat markets evolved to specialize in smoked meats. Many butcher shops also evolved into well-known barbecue establishments.

Central Texas pit-style barbecue was established in the 19th century along the Chisolm Trail in the towns of Lockhart, Luling, and Taylor. The German and other European immigrants owned meat packing plants opened retail meat markets serving cooked meats wrapped in red butcher's paper-- this tradition continues to this day in many central Texas towns. Also, this barbecue style's popularity has spread considerably around the world, especially to Southern California, New York City, and in Britain and Australia."

Australia - right, Wes?