• The KillerFrogs

Your Best Single Moment Memory in TCU Sports

ricksterh

All the above are great but for me personally it was being part of a team that beat Baylor down in Waco to win the SWC and then beating Kansaas State in Wichita Kansas to make the final 8 in the NCAA my senior year in 1968. We are still celebrating that the latest of which was honoring and retiring the jersey for James Cash at the AFA game. Memories sweet comrades true... :biggrin:

Dogfrog

One that deserves mention was TCU's 1982 SWC basketball tournament championship. Great win over Arkansas with Darrell Browder sealing the win with two last second free throws. I could see Frank Broyles from my seat and he was beside himself.

oldscribe

I know that for most of you there have been bigger moments during more recent successess, but for me, the moment was 1981 when the Frogs finally beat Arkansas. If that didn't offer hope that there IS a better world if we reach for it, nothing will.

Dogfrog

I know that for most of you there have been bigger moments during more recent successess, but for me, the moment was 1981 when the Frogs finally beat Arkansas. If that didn't offer hope that there IS a better world if we reach for it, nothing will.

Don't know why I forgot that one. The old lady behind us took a bottle of champagne and paper cups out of her purse and
started pouring for everybody right there in the stands.

Houston Frog

Nothing. Nothing will ever top the rose bowl, but the last 3 innings of game 3 against the horns last season to earn a trip to omaha were fantastic. All day, and all game I set myself up for defeat, hoping to not be too dissapointed. And all game I'd have little superstitions, and bit of all of my fingernails in the process. I almost sports cried when we got the final out.

I agree with all of this, ftwfrog, except for the part about almost having a sports cry.... I did have a sports cry (thank gawd I was wearing sunglasses).

Schultz's HR against the Horns was huge. All day I had been setting myself up for disappointment, like you said, but when Schultz sent that ball over the fence to give us a comfortable cushion, I just threw my hands in the air and had that, "this is actually happening, we're actually going to Omaha, and we actually beat the Horns in Austin to get there" moment, and started high fiving/hugging all my buddies.

Also, add the Curry-Slam to the list obviously.

I wasn't a TCU fan yet when the Sun Bowl happened, but it sounds awesome.

ftwfrog

Schultz's HR against the Horns was huge. All day I had been setting myself up for disappointment, like you said, but when Schultz sent that ball over the fence to give us a comfortable cushion, I just threw my hands in the air and had that, "this is actually happening, we're actually going to Omaha, and we actually beat the Horns in Austin to get there" moment, and started high fiving/hugging all my buddies.
Such an emotional high and low weekend. We were on cloud 9 when Purke was masterful in game one, then we got throttled in game 2 and all I heard about was how their #3 pitcher was just as lights out. I just kept cussing the longhorns in my head thinking, "here we go again, more heartbreak. To come so close every year and to have to run into those [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] from austin." Then Winkler pitched his guts out and when we scored a run, I just kept trying to calm down, telling myself that we had a long way to go. I think I pulled a hammy jumping in the air when Schultz when yard. So awesome!

West Coast Johnny

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that was at all three big moments? The Rosebowl, Jamies Shot and Curry's blast? I can only say I was at two of the three.

RufeBruton

I love all the comments.....difficult to chose. The feeling at the Rose Bowl, sitting next to my wife, happy to be among TCU fans, happy to savor being at the top of the pyramid.....was just extraordinary. But, I'd have to say that my all time favorite moment in TCU sports was a personal one: Winning the 100 yard freestyle against Tech in Lubbock in 1970. It was a feeling of disbelief .... kind of "all you [Craig James]ting me, I won?" I started swimming competitively in 1957 and never swam the 100 free in my career (I was a pretty decent backstroker). But the TCU swim coach had an odd philospophy....he wanted his swimmers to be 'well rounded'. Meaning that we never swam the same events twice. I found myself swimming events that I never trained for. And this was the case at Tech. The emotion was interesting....much different than being a fan at a football or baseball game. And certainly, much different than winning an event that was a personal specialty. Must be more like hitting a half court shot during a half time competition for a free dinner. I had no business winning, but there ya go.

2themax

The Rose Bowl win is my overall #1 cause of the fb program implications. Best personal memory was the Arkansas fb game when J Maness literally snatched a pass out of the hands of their safety for a td and frosh cb G Littles int td ret. Many miraculous plays in that one game. It wasn't on tv, so several of us redshirted freshmen were in the dorm listening to it on the radio. We went nuts!!! Game was in Ark, so the team was rewarded with trash and flying bottles and I don't mean the plastic ones. Saw the J Dixon shot too! That was a shocker for real.

Frogk

All mentioned previously are great moments but one I remember at the top was
the comeback win over Arkansas after having lost 21 or 22 years in a row in the final 2 minutes two touchdowns and a livid Lou Holtz.
I believe this is when the chant TCU TCU TCU began.

dawg

For me, the Rose Bowl is far and away number one. Only winning a MNC will come close. Having grown up in Big Ten Country (Ohio), I always saw the Rose Bowl as the biggest game of the year, sort of a mythical event. For TCU to be in it, and spank a Big Ten champ.....I still get chills and a sense of pride when I walk into my den and see a "2011 Rose Bowl Champions" felt banner hanging on the wall or the "13-0" banner at the top of the frog fan forum. I've rewatched the game seven times and still get chills when James picks up that final first down and when LHCGP raises that trophy high into the California night.... Upwards on $250 spent on Rose Bowl champs merchandise and still lookin' for more. Winning the Rose Bowl was Simply. Awesome.

Second would be 2010 Super Regional Game 3, beating the wHorns in Austin to get to the CWS. Whatever happened at the CWS, to me, was the cherry on top, playing with house money. Beating wHorn, in Austin, dogpiling on that STUPID AstroTurf field, the "agony of defeat" on UT faces.......that was the sundae.

GO FROGS!!!

Ray Finkle

The win in Norman, OK was probably my favorite. I sat with a big OU booster friend of mine in a sea of maroon. We were 26 point dogs and did not make a bowl the year before. I just wanted to experience OU's game day. I never thought we could have won. Seriously, they were in the National Championship the year before. It was a great college football environment. It also showed we weren't a flash in the pan football program. We had a down year and were able to rebound. Our previous success wasn't a "fluke".

I do a lot of business in Oklahoma and they always like to talk about TCU. The Sooners have a lot of respect for our program.

Go Frogs!

tetonfrog

Tony Rand picking off Peter Gardere and taking it the the house is my favorite TCU sports moment.

UT was shocked and did not recover. That was a great win over Texas by a lousy Frog team. That was Sullivan's first year and is his biggest win at TCU. I remember being on the field after that game and nearly getting brained by some cop. I'll never forget watching the Longhorns after the game. They could not believe it.I still laugh at UT friends and say that Gardere went 4-0 vs. OU, but lost to the Frogs. :biggrin:

Rose Bowl is next and the Sun Bowl after that. Both great times. I never watched TCU play once before 1990 and these are the best times when I've attended the game. If you toss in TV, I'd add win over OU and Peterson and Curry's grand slam.

Wog68

All the above are great but for me personally it was being part of a team that beat Baylor down in Waco to win the SWC and then beating Kansaas State in Wichita Kansas to make the final 8 in the NCAA my senior year in 1968. We are still celebrating that the latest of which was honoring and retiring the jersey for James Cash at the AFA game. Memories sweet comrades true... :biggrin:

My favorite was when Ricksterh scored the 99th and 100th point against the A&M Fish in 1965, the second time he had scored the 100th point that season for the Wog Basketball team..What a player!

Pappy Frog

Horned Frog Thrills:

Over the years going back
to the late 40s, early 50s,
basketball has given me
more smiles than football.

Some of those tripple, even
a four-OT game vs...Texas?
Someone help me out here! :blink: