• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: Horned Frogs vs Cowboys

LVH

No way we win unless the players are motivated like they were against UT. Coaching alone will not get us close to Baylor. The players are going to have to win dispute the coaches!

I've been critical of Cumby but today's loss was not on him. Offensive players were to blame today. Fumbles, interceptions, bad routes, dropped balls, not being on the same page with the QB and WR.

Mean Purple

I've been critical of Cumby but today's loss was not on him. Offensive players were to blame today. Fumbles, interceptions, bad routes, dropped balls, not being on the same page with the QB and WR.
Sure, they played bad, but a good amount of play calls did not set them in position to get it done as well. The one drive near the end where Cumbie never even thought to run the ball, and waisted more downs. The defense still has the same area that is prime for an offense to attack. And that is GP's scheme that is ok if you don't get too complicated (which it is by nature and he will do by nature) or if the defenders have time to see what is coming from the offense (which does not happen when guys are still forced to watch signals on the sideline right up to or even after the snap. pretty sure Offensive opponents know to work that.).

Mean Purple

It was a group effort loss, but in no universe did Sonny earn his paycheck in the second half.

The ball security issues, route issues, blocking issues, and questionable play calling … this has been going on for 4 years. These are things that don't get fixed in season. They happen in camp. But have not been fixed at all. That's on coaching. Just unreal.

Mean Purple

Show me the qoute that I made saying that I said "I want GP fired" since '17.
Don't recall you posting things like that. Doubt anybody wants GP fired. But the fact that changes were not made after last year, if he is not willing to cut some dead weight on staff, he could face some big questions.

He is not paid that amount to put regressing squads on the field. Close don't cut it. We were lucky OSU screwed the pooch on a drive, or we would have still lost by 14.

LVH

Sure, they played bad, but a good amount of play calls did not set them in position to get it done as well. The one drive near the end where Cumbie never even thought to run the ball, and waisted more downs. The defense still has the same area that is prime for an offense to attack. And that is GP's scheme that is ok if you don't get too complicated (which it is by nature and he will do by nature) or if the defenders have time to see what is coming from the offense (which does not happen when guys are still forced to watch signals on the sideline right up to or even after the snap. pretty sure Offensive opponents know to work that.).

There were 2 ways to look at that last drive

If you looked at it from the perspective of "This is our last drive, do or die" then yes it made sense to run the ball there.

But its clear our staff looked at it as "We need to throw here so in case we go 3 and out, we can punt and have a chance to get the ball back".

CountryFrog

It was a group effort loss, but in no universe did Sonny earn his paycheck in the second half.
I blame Sonny the QB Coach more than Sonny the OC. All three interceptions by Max were just terrible decisions.

I felt like we moved the ball up and down the field fairly consistently after another rough 1st quarter. Mostly it was turnovers, drops, missed throws, or taking bad sacks that stopped drives and I don't necessarily blame the OC for all that. I guess you could say it's his job to get guys ready to play, focused, and fundamentally sound and in those ways he came up short. There's certainly some truth in that but players also have to take most of that responsibility imo.

purplecircle

There’s no reason in trying to pinpoint exactly who deserves the blame for todays game. This ENTIRE thing is rotten. If we would’ve won a game here or there that we didn’t it would’ve only put lipstick on this Briles of a season. We’re not getting to where we all want to without great changes. The only question that remains is if we’ll meet that challenge. Our program has adapted many times in the past, it’s time to do it again.

Mean Purple

Patterson in post game: PARAPHRASING WHERE THERE ARE NOT QUOTES. (so fricking relax, folks)
"Like I've said..." a team that can beat any team in conference and a team that can lose any game in conference.
Gotta give it to Reagor and Max, played tough and made plays etc. (mentioned how they got roughed up)
Have to make catches. Had some young rcvrs drop some.

Said they have to get ready for next week. Mentioned again that they are a team that can win any game or lose any game.

Did not give update on Max's hand. So I am guessing he is ok?

LVH

Patterson in post game: PARAPHRASING WHERE THERE ARE NOT QUOTES. (so fricking relax, folks)
"Like I've said..." a team that can beat any team in conference and a team that can lose any game in conference.
Gotta give it to Reagor and Max, played tough and made plays etc. (mentioned how they got roughed up)
Have to make catches. Had some young rcvrs drop some.

Said they have to get ready for next week. Mentioned again that they are a team that can win any game or lose any game.

Did not give update on Max's hand. So I am guessing he is ok?

From what I could tell Max was trying to get back in at the end there

Mean Purple

I blame Sonny the QB Coach more than Sonny the OC. All three interceptions by Max were just terrible decisions.

I felt like we moved the ball up and down the field fairly consistently after another rough 1st quarter. Mostly it was turnovers, drops, missed throws, or taking bad sacks that stopped drives and I don't necessarily blame the OC for all that. I guess you could say it's his job to get guys ready to play, focused, and fundamentally sound and in those ways he came up short. There's certainly some truth in that but players also have to take most of that responsibility imo.
I've mentioned this before … Many of those mistakes you mentioned have been going on for a number of years now. You mentioned that it is on the coach to get them ready, but it does not seem like they are getting the problem areas improved to an acceptable level. And those are things that should be fixed before the season.