• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: Horned Frogs vs Cowboys

Froggish

2 offensive oriented teams have won a title in the last 20 years. Auburn in 2010 and Ohio State in 2014. Every other title winner has been defense first.

I bet you are the type of person who says games with final scores of 70-63 are great games played by both teams but final scores of 14-10 are horrible [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] tier games.

Plenty of teams go for massive offensive stats and yet still lose games... I bet you would have been satisfied with Texas Tech going 5-7 despite monster offensive stats under Kliff

Nope..You don’t know me well. In my younger days I was a HS football coach...a Def coordinator actually. I love defense. The toughest OCs to defend against dictate pace and matchups to you. There is no chess match with SC. He has a pattern to how he calls a game. It’s almost comical.

20 scripts
What worked...Call that until the game is over. The problem is, he rarely makes adjustments but the guy on the other side of the field is. All of the sudden the few plays that worked earlier aren’t working anymore and people like us, watching tv, think the players aren’t executing. No the problem is that the defense is adjusting and SC isn’t. It’s a chess match where the Def Coord is making all the moves..It happens week after week. It’s predictable. There is no long play in Sonny. He is flying by the seat of his pants. One play never sets up another..

Again I don’t want TT shootouts. What I want is smart OC who understands how keep defenses off balance and how intelligently get his athletes in space..How to set a defense up. Every coordinator has a bad game...SC has 3 times as many as the good ones.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

In this one game - and I can't remember now - but if we had a better mix of plays and did not have to rely on times for certain low percentage passes, would that not help with the turnovers? (meaning less of a chance for them to happen?)
Can't blame play calling for any of those turnovers. On the fumble we had just picked up a first down if we hold the ball. On the 3 picks, there's no play call where the QB must throw the ball downfield no matter what even if it's covered. Max has to throw it somewhere else or throw it away when things are covered.

JugbandFrog

Nope..You don’t know me well. In my younger days I was a HS football coach...a Def coordinator actually. I love defense. The toughest OCs to defend against dictate pace and matchups to you. There is no chess match with SC. He has a pattern to how he calls a game. It’s almost comical.

20 scripts
What worked...Call that until the game is over. The problem is, he rarely makes adjustments but the guy on the other side of the field is. All of the sudden the few plays that worked earlier aren’t working anymore and people like us, watching tv, think the players aren’t executing. No the problem is that the defense is adjusting and SC. It’s a chess match where the Def Coord is making all the moves..It happens week after week. It’s predictable. There is no long play in Sonny. He is flying by the seat of his pants. One play never sets up another..

Again I don’t want TT shootouts. What I want is smart OC who understands how keep defenses off balance and how intelligently get his athletes in space..How to set a defense up. Every coordinator has a bad game...SC has 3 times as many as the good ones.
Yep. His play design is also completely ridiculous. I was an Oline coach before I gor a chance to be an OC, and I would always adjust the blocking scheme to fit the craziness my OC was up to at times.

CountryFrog

Numbers don’t tell the story.
Oh I totally agree with that. Just seemed like you were throwing out the fact that both of SMU and Memphis will get 500 yards in this game as evidence that they're really good so thought I'd mention we weren't far off that ourselves if you're ONLY looking at yardage totals.

LVH

20 scripts
What worked...Call that until the game is over. The problem is, he rarely makes adjustments but the guy on the other side of the field is. All of the sudden the few plays that worked earlier aren’t working anymore and people like us, watching tv, think the players aren’t executing. No the problem is that the defense is adjusting and SC. It’s a chess match where the Def Coord is making all the moves..It happens week after week. It’s predictable. There is no long play in Sonny. He is flying by the seat of his pants. One play never sets up another..

I agree that we need to change OCs, but I dont want our identity to be yet another team where offensive is first, second, and third priority and you are just trying to outscore everyone. Those types of teams dont win championships. Might win you a conference title every now and then but its not consistent.

I still think our best path to winning another Big 12 title is to be a defensive first team. Unlike many I am not ready to give up on GP's defense yet - I do think we need coaching changes on both sides of the ball, but grow our linebackers and ends up and I think our defense can go back to being the dominant unit it once was.

LVH

we do not. Can’t say that we don’t try but confident that we do not

Not just that but our downfield blocking is terrible too. How many long runs have we broken this year with our backs? None. Duggan has a couple times but our backs can never break long runs, the downfield blocking isnt there. Blocking on screen passes is non existant as well.

tetonfrog

Does anyone know how loyal Max is to SC?

If GP fires him, does Max transfer out? Key question. And, if that answer is yes, do you still fire SC?

netty2424

Can't blame play calling for any of those turnovers. On the fumble we had just picked up a first down if we hold the ball. On the 3 picks, there's no play call where the QB must throw the ball downfield no matter what even if it's covered. Max has to throw it somewhere else or throw it away when things are covered.
I don’t think we were prepared for the perpetual blitzing. Being forced to scramble and Max getting blasted all game is an scheme and play calling issue. If Max isn’t getting the calls to beat it, Max has to learn how to see it and adjust. OSU wasn’t hiding it.

I felt like he was sitting on the long ball all game when they needed to get the ball out quickly. I don’t remember that adjustment at all and it just seemed to compound as the game went on.

Mean Purple

One drive...Both of those offenses will go for 500 yards..Offense is more important than defense in today’s game..Football has flipped
I used to think defense primary for years. Still think you have to have key stops. But offense has flipped the script lately. And then some D guru will figure out how to attach it and flip it back, and so on. But for now, can't ignore the offense as primary impact, for sure.

Mean Purple

Yes, you still fire SC.
agreed. having players go for it and it now work because of execution is one thing, but routinely have play schemes/game plans that take you out of it before the ball is snapped is another. We are too reliant on the success of the deep ball. And that is because the stuff he calls underneath is just out of sync. You can have a powerful fast high score offense and still stay ahead of the pitch count. Ohio State, Penn State, Bama, Clemson ,etc. all prove that.