• The KillerFrogs

The Beer is Near

NewFrogFan

Sometimes it's to avoid the halftime performances. Sometimes it's to pay a quick visit to someone's tailgate. Sometimes (particularly when our offense looks like it did last year) it's to grab a quick smoke. That's actually one of my favorite parts of the game, as I've often had the chance to meet and talk to players' parents. Austin Schlottman's dad met up with us pretty much every halftime to shoot the breeze - learned a lot from him about player's perspective on what was happening. Davion Pierson's parents were funny as hell. Matt Pryor's mom was a tiny little thing - particularly given the size of her son.

And I was always back in my seat by the time the third quarter began.

You should have see M Toudooze mom and dad.

Purp

Before the renovation, my FIL had the parking spot two spots to the right of the gate in the chain link fence underneath the north scoreboard (behind where the Bobby’s fajitas cart was always set up). Literally 5 steps from the gate. Sometimes we sat with him on the west side, midfield under the overhang, and sometimes we’d buy GA tickets and sit in the north end zone, so the walk from our seats to the tailgate was either about 2 minutes, or about 15 seconds. I would usually step out to the tailgate to grab a beer at halftime and I almost always missed the second half kickoff.
You drink beer like my wife.

Eight

St. Arnold's has a distribution contract with Silver Eagle, but that is the extent of their relationship. I don't think they will ever sell out, as least, not while Brock is running the show...

The Lege is particularly horrible when it comes to legislation concerning alcohol, as they are quite content to allow the 'Booze Brothers' (a couple of lawyers employed by the Big Brewers and Big Distributors) to write any bills that they feel the need to contemplate. The Texas Craft Brewers Guild is trying to change that, but our State Legislators are astonishingly stupid when it comes to lobbyists waving money around. The Craft Brewers don't have nearly unlimited funds with which to bribe...

the irony is that for a state that has a supposed rep of being pro the self made man i have been told some interesting things when it comes to distribution, the big brewers, and their attempts to kill small business.

it is amazing the amount of money ambev has funneled into that one rep in north houston whose districts is a true [ Finebaum ]hole and they don't have a brewery or distributor within miles of the area

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
For God's sake man... Beggar's cant be choosers.
I am not a beggar. I can simply choose not to purchase the offerings they make if they are not to my taste. It's a (relatively) free market, and I have free choice. I would simply like to see more than the offerings of one Big Brewer only. Specifically, a selection of products made in Fort Worth, and in the case of Rahr, brewed by a Horned Frog.

Frog DJ

Total transparency: I "took the pledge" over 20 years ago, and I'm committed to never allowing a drop of "devil water" to cross my lips again, so I have no dog in this hunt and I don't begrudge anyone's right to imbibe to their heart's content.

However, I do feel compelled to make an observation. Through casual (and sometimes amused) observation, it seems to me that this board has been obsessed with beer sales in ACS for years, and now that it has finally been granted there are as many (or more) complaints about it as there are celebrations. TCU can't offer every brand of beer on the market, so some of your favorites are going to be excluded.

Additionally, the in-and-out policy has been repeatedly cited as a primary reason why people felt compelled to leave at halftime, and often show up late (or not at all) for the second half. Many have promised that if only beer were offered for sale inside the stadium they would no longer desire to run out to their tailgate at halftime, thus solving the empty seat problem when the team runs on the field for the third quarter.

I realize there are simply some people who complain no matter what, but I must admit I'm surprised at the reaction to this announcement. After all these years of begging for beer sales inside the stadium I'm shocked so many are still dissatisfied.

The way the world, I suppose...

Go Frogs!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
the irony is that for a state that has a supposed rep of being pro the self made man i have been told some interesting things when it comes to distribution, the big brewers, and their attempts to kill small business.

it is amazing the amount of money ambev has funneled into that one rep in north houston whose districts is a true [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]hole and they don't have a brewery or distributor within miles of the area
Have you been out to Eureka Heights? Good brew, and Casey is an Alum. Their 3rd Anniversary is next Saturday.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
No idea. I know they had Fritz' beers up in the Club, but methinks the Club and the rest of the Stadium are separate entities for licensing purposes. "8 different beer selections" may well translate to Miller, Miller Lite, Coors, Coors Light and subsidiary beers from the same company. TCU has a bad habit of making exclusivity agreements with companies sometimes...

I just hope that the agreement has the carve-out for local brewers to have a place at the market. An Imperial Texan from Martin House might just last me a whole half.
You can bet. miller an Coord paid dearly for the pouring rights to ACS so don’t don’t look for a lot of competition from local craft brewers. It’s a shame because why offer crap when you can offer quality but money talks

HFrog12

It's not hard. Five minutes left in halftime and you head back in.

While I completely agree, this is always easier said than done. I used to leave often at halftime and always brought myself back before kickoff. However, I had tons of friends who would get caught up in the tailgate and wouldn’t come back with me. Everyone is different. I am not disparaging people who want to do that. I just personally don’t know why you wouldn’t watch the game that you bought tickets for. I am glad that TCU is going more in line with most college football venues because I think it will increase steady crowds. Time will tell if that theory is correct or not.

Eight

Have you been out to Eureka Heights? Good brew, and Casey is an Alum. Their 3rd Anniversary is next Saturday.

i have not, had a few of their beers at a local spot, but not gotten to them.

simpler back in the day because there were just a few decent spots in the houston area, but it has blown up and there are a number of quality locals now which is great.

CountryFrog

Seems easy enough to me. If you love the tailgate more than the actual game then just pay for your parking spot and don't buy football tickets.

If you are someone who buys football tickets then it's not unreasonable for TCU or any other school/organization to assume that you're ok spending the length of the game inside of the stadium.

YA

Do people buy season tickets for football because they want to see the football game or because they want to spend as much time in the parking lot as possible?
Both if you can swing it. I have 2 close parking spots and many season tickets--yes it is a big deal to tailgate for my group (before anyone asks--all my season tickets go to Frogs or business friends and no ticket goes unused or sold for a profit). I can live with the in/out--just ask that they extend the tailgate hours AND do a better job of patrolling the lots as it will be a criminal bonanza if they don't.

I also predict it will be utter chaos once this starts and TCU concessions stands will not be ready. Waiting 20-30 minutes to get food/beer is going to be the norm not the exception.