• The KillerFrogs

Post game interview: Cumbie called out

Horny4TCU

You're right. Kids dig him, but isn't it largely because he's not much older than they are? What does a 58 year old Kingsbury look like?
f47cb21306be472abf3867d0d9cd8f81.jpg

CountryFrog

Best win was last night. Beating ISU with what was essentially their 3rd string QB playing was not a big deal at all IMO. Baylor might have been a better win too.
Maybe. I don't have a super strong opinion either way and don't want to turn this into a debate about how good Iowa St is now vs then. The larger point is that we've played worse teams than ISU so if we can beat them with SR at QB then there's no reason to assume we couldn't beat teams that are worse than them.

TX_Krötenechse

Our run game looked a lot better with Elliot playing LG as well. I am not sure if Gaynor was at C or RG, but Elliot was a clear step up at LG. I don’t know if he was hurt earlier this season or what, but we definitely could’ve used him in some other games.

BleedNPurple

We beat Ks and Tech if Mule QB’d those games. He’s a fast runner also and that added a refreshing surprise. The only time to have seen him was the P&W spring games and usually he was the only one to move the offense.

Wexahu

We beat Ks and Tech if Mule QB’d those games.

These kind of "if we'd have done X, Y would've happened" things are kind of ridiculous, especially in this case. There's a reason Mule was our 3rd string QB. He'd have had at least a couple INTs the other night if OSU defenders were on their toes. He played ok, got some breaks, and was backed by a defense that played absolutely lights out for 40 minutes of the game. I'm just happy we beat OSU.

BABYFACE

Going into next season, the only thing that matters to me pertaining whoever the starting QB will be, is whichever QB can protect the ball best and read defensive coveragages and recognize blitzes better. The one that is the best at that, gives TCU the best chance to win.

Horny4TCU

Going into next season, the only thing that matters to me pertaining whoever the starting QB will be, is whichever QB can protect the ball best and read defensive coveragages and recognize blitzes better. The one that is the best at that, gives TCU the best chance to win.
200w.webp

Mean Purple

We beat Ks and Tech if Mule QB’d those games. He’s a fast runner also and that added a refreshing surprise. The only time to have seen him was the P&W spring games and usually he was the only one to move the offense.
I don't know if it is his age and time in program or what, but Mule seems very comfortable at the helm. At the same time, you have to consider that this patchwork offensive line had a few games under its belt with some of the same players.

Now time to get everybody healthy and go curb stomp somebody.

Wexahu

I don't know if it is his age and time in program or what, but Mule seems very comfortable at the helm. At the same time, you have to consider that this patchwork offensive line had a few games under its belt with some of the same players.

Now time to get everybody healthy and go curb stomp somebody.

And as been mentioned before, he's had the luxury of playing against probably the two worst defenses in the league....and it's not like we're lighting up the scoreboard. 16 pts against Baylor and 24 against OSU. That will lose 80-90% of the time. He's doing a decent job under the circumstances, but to say he should have been playing all along based on what we've seen is ludicrous IMO.

Eight

Our run game looked a lot better with Elliot playing LG as well. I am not sure if Gaynor was at C or RG, but Elliot was a clear step up at LG. I don’t know if he was hurt earlier this season or what, but we definitely could’ve used him in some other games.

frogs started an interior line trio of elliot at lg, gaynor at center, and harris at rg.

earlier this year that trio might have gotten someone hurt, last saturday they controlled the interior, showed some good movement pulling, and frogs ran for a SEASON HIGH 243 yards.

once again sport shows us why you play the games and don't live in a world of numbers and freaking percentages.

when it mattered the most, with basically their #4 quarterback and missing some key talent they ran the ball better than they have any time this year.

yes the 83-yard touchdown skews the average a bit, but a beat up sewo had 14 carries for 70 yards which was his best game of the year.

you gotta love the effort given by the coaches and kids of the program and you have to sport for proving we don't know [ Finebaum ].

JogginFrog

Has Mule been running the scout team the last couple of years? Sometimes I wonder if a QB who has talent at learning and mimicking opposing offenses gets less consideration for playing time because of his value in preparing the defense.

WIN

Agree with all of that - the question is why is Cumbie so aware of and able to plan around Mules weaknesses and seemingly unable to do that for the QBs that played before him this year? Especially SR?

None of that is the players fault - they all have given everything they had - but our plan last night played to Mules strengths or lack of in some cases more than any game plan we seemed to have had this year

So have wondered this as well, thinking someone is now assisting Cumbie. We have seen a dramatic change in the way the game is called and as someone stated before the Mule could be why but I suspect there is something else that has changed. Look no futher than the Wild Frog, we ran it with no wrinkles for weeks, and it sucked, now we see all kinds of new looks from it.

flyfishingfrog

So have wondered this as well, thinking someone is now assisting Cumbie. We have seen a dramatic change in the way the game is called and as someone stated before the Mule could be why but I suspect there is something else that has changed. Look no futher than the Wild Frog, we ran it with no wrinkles for weeks, and it sucked, now we see all kinds of new looks from it.
lets hope that Cumbie, like us all do often - has learned from his past mistakes...

Horny4TCU

I'm excited to see more Reagor in the years to come, but we need another couple of WRs to step up. It's easy to game plan, when all you have to do is cover 1 guy. We might not be able to win a bowl game if someone else doesn't start getting separation and be able to hold onto the ball.

Doctson was amazing, but he also had the fastest [ Finebaum ] on the field lining up on the other side to help pick up some defenders.

BleedNPurple

These kind of "if we'd have done X, Y would've happened" things are kind of ridiculous, especially in this case. There's a reason Mule was our 3rd string QB. He'd have had at least a couple INTs the other night if OSU defenders were on their toes. He played ok, got some breaks, and was backed by a defense that played absolutely lights out for 40 minutes of the game. I'm just happy we beat OSU.
Not ridiculous. Think game and playbook was too fast for Collins - Muel with his experience only has to play- as stated - would have won KS and Tech - both winnable with an offense that had zero spark.

FrogLifeYo

I’m not sure we wouldn’t have won 8-9 games if Cumbie would have given SR the same offense he gave the Mule...

FrogLifeYo

Not ridiculous. Think game and playbook was too fast for Collins - Muel with his experience only has to play- as stated - would have won KS and Tech - both winnable with an offense that had zero spark.
Muehlstein was not running the same offense given MC or SR..Cumbie did both of those guys a disservice.

BleedNPurple

At some point when the offense you been running isn’t working and it’s obvious that the guys are not clicking on it isn’t it time to put something together that really can work? WTH?

Wexahu

Muehlstein was not running the same offense given MC or SR..Cumbie did both of those guys a disservice.

Our offense scored a combined 40 points against what might be the two worst units in the league. They are at the very least among the worst. We didn’t win these last two games because of Mule or our offense, we won because the defense played very well. Much better than they played against Kansas for sure.