• The KillerFrogs

Post game interview: Cumbie called out

MTfrog5

Was talking to a buddy that went to Tech about Kliff. He was pretty pissed because they would have won more if Bowman didn’t get hurt. Can’t really argue with that as I think they beat Texas and maybe OU as Bowman was lighting up OU in the first half. I asked why he think Kliff would win more than 7 games with Bowman though when he never had a conference winning record with Mahomes. I think the timing was bad for Kliff but think it was the right move

flyfishingfrog

Disastrous?
I remember bringing in a qb no longer here that was ahead of Mule and watching him throw more than one pick and fail on achieving a first down in his his several chances to play to the point where we sent our starter back out when he was barely able to walk - that is was pretty disastrous if we had a guy in the bench that was able to evidently more than just manage the game

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

GM has done what he had to do these last two games, but I think it's worth mentioning that it's been against maybe the two worst defenses in the conference. I think people who are saying he should have been playing ahead of SR or MC aren't taking that very important fact into consideration. I see a QB that is very limited, the coaching staff knows it so they gameplan around it, and it's worked so far because the defense has played well.
Agree with all of that - the question is why is Cumbie so aware of and able to plan around Mules weaknesses and seemingly unable to do that for the QBs that played before him this year? Especially SR?

None of that is the players fault - they all have given everything they had - but our plan last night played to Mules strengths or lack of in some cases more than any game plan we seemed to have had this year

FrogLifeYo

Was talking to a buddy that went to Tech about Kliff. He was pretty pissed because they would have won more if Bowman didn’t get hurt. Can’t really argue with that as I think they beat Texas and maybe OU as Bowman was lighting up OU in the first half. I asked why he think Kliff would win more than 7 games with Bowman though when he never had a conference winning record with Mahomes. I think the timing was bad for Kliff but think it was the right move
Not a Kliff fan but he is a better coach today than even a year ago..I think If takes a step back and maybe goes to work as an OC for a big time program with a head coach that can mentor him he’ll have a bright future. He needs to be exposed to winning. He’s smart and obviously kids dig him

HG73

Our coaches continued to put us in position to win. Turnovers and the kicking game killed us.

If SR hadn't been injured we wouldn't have won another game. Sorry to have to say that, but until he learns how to protect the ball he's a liability.

Give me a game manager who protects the ball. Unless of course we have Trevon Boykin as a junior or senior.

Wexahu

Agree with all of that - the question is why is Cumbie so aware of and able to plan around Mules weaknesses and seemingly unable to do that for the QBs that played before him this year? Especially SR?

None of that is the players fault - they all have given everything they had - but our plan last night played to Mules strengths or lack of in some cases more than any game plan we seemed to have had this year

Very legit point IMO, and as others have pointed out, it was obvious watching the game that the coaching staff had put their heads together in trying to devise a gameplan with some wrinkles that didn't put much on the QBs shoulders. It was a mix of a ton of different run looks and very simple passing plays. Getting creative in the running game is the best way to help a limited QB and we mixed up that part of the gameplan very well I thought. Of course, it all works much better when your defense plays very well so you're never really playing from behind.

4th. down

Very legit point IMO, and as others have pointed out, it was obvious watching the game that the coaching staff had put their heads together in trying to devise a gameplan with some wrinkles that didn't put much on the QBs shoulders. It was a mix of a ton of different run looks and very simple passing plays. Getting creative in the running game is the best way to help a limited QB and we mixed up that part of the gameplan very well I thought. Of course, it all works much better when your defense plays very well so you're never really playing from behind.

Well, that's big, not playing from behind for this offense. Our run game took a step up when Gaynor went to center. The offensive staff did their best game planning for this game all season. It's obvious now that they were going to showcase our most talented, Reagor, in many, many different scenarios and it worked. He's just that good.

CountryFrog

Our coaches continued to put us in position to win. Turnovers and the kicking game killed us.

If SR hadn't been injured we wouldn't have won another game. Sorry to have to say that, but until he learns how to protect the ball he's a liability.

Give me a game manager who protects the ball. Unless of course we have Trevon Boykin as a junior or senior.
Dumb statement about SR. No need to side swipe a kid with a total hypothetical opinion like that. Plus, we did beat Iowa St with him at QB and that was probably our best win of the year, so not sure why you're so confident we wouldn't have beaten any of the several teams that are worse than ISU.

HG73

Dumb statement about SR. No need to side swipe a kid with a total hypothetical opinion like that. Plus, we did beat Iowa St with him at QB and that was probably our best win of the year, so not sure why you're so confident we wouldn't have beaten any of the several teams that are worse than ISU.
You are right I should not have said that. And I am not saying that he won't get better. And in theory ball protection should be an easy fix. And he should be healthy after surgery. Trevon and Kenny Hill both improved dramatically after a year of experience. I really hope/know he will. If not then MC is a very capable backup.

y2kFrog

If we had been featuring Reagor from day 1, and let SR grow steadily I think we would have had won at least 2 maybe 3 more games this year. There is no reason why we shouldn't keep doing what we were last night next year even with a healthy SR or MC or JR.

Moose Stuff

Best win was last night. Beating ISU with what was essentially their 3rd string QB playing was not a big deal at all IMO. Baylor might have been a better win too.

Agree they put together a game plan that didn't put the game on the QB making difficult throws but disagree the passing plays were "simple." They route concepts and combinations were actually pretty creative and led to some easier throws because the receivers had more separation than has been usual. Thus, it seemed a step up in scheming over what we've witnessed so far. I've said it before and will say it again: all these guys are college QB's and if you force them into having to make contested throws on just about every pass play, there are very few who aren't going to struggle and make mistakes. If you give them easier throws, they will make more of them. It's a simple concept even if it is complicated to get there.

Wexahu

Agree they put together a game plan that didn't put the game on the QB making difficult throws but disagree the passing plays were "simple." They route concepts and combinations were actually pretty creative and led to some easier throws because the receivers had more separation than has been usual. Thus, it seemed a step up in scheming over what we've witnessed so far. I've said it before and will say it again: all these guys are college QB's and if you force them into having to make contested throws on just about every pass play, there are very few who aren't going to struggle and make mistakes. If you give them easier throws, they will make more of them. It's a simple concept even if it is complicated to get there.

Should have clarified a bit. It wasn't so much that the plays were simple, but the reads for the QB were. I saw some creativity in trying to spring some guys open, but GM didn't do much dropping back and making reads himself. Each play seemed to have a certain target and GM for the most part just threw it there....and it worked enough times. In any event, it was clear to me we weren't relying on our basic offense and I wish we'd have been seeing some of the stuff we saw last night earlier in the year.

It's almost an indictment of the coaching staff but it's like the lack of confidence in the QB forced our staff to do a better job of coaching (getting creative with the gameplan). Of course, when you win everything seems better so it could've just been our day.

Last edited:

Brog

Not a Kliff fan but he is a better coach today than even a year ago..I think If takes a step back and maybe goes to work as an OC for a big time program with a head coach that can mentor him he’ll have a bright future. He needs to be exposed to winning. He’s smart and obviously kids dig him

You're right. Kids dig him, but isn't it largely because he's not much older than they are? What does a 58 year old Kingsbury look like?

4th. down

Should have clarified a bit. It wasn't so much that the plays were simple, but the reads for the QB were. I saw some creativity in trying to spring some guys open, but GM didn't do much dropping back and making reads himself. Each play seemed to have a certain target and GM for the most part just threw it there....and it worked enough times. In any event, it was clear to me we weren't relying on our basic offense and I wish we'd have been seeing some of the stuff we saw last night earlier in the year.

It's almost an indictment of the coaching staff but it's like the lack of confidence in the QB forced our staff to do a better job of coaching (getting creative with the gameplan). Of course, when you win everything seems better so it could've just been our day.

Maybe it was or wasn't our day but I think GP lit a fire under the players and coaching staff. There must have been a sense of urgency on the offensive staff. Why all of a sudden, Gaynor at center, running game humming, offensive line giving false keys by pulling in opposite direction of the real play, Mule only was going thru 2 progressions, etc. Why, and why now? Reagor all over the field, D. Anderson running in the slot, the entire offense simplified. It was GP basically saying pull your head out of your ass offensive coaches.

Wexahu

Maybe it was or wasn't our day but I think GP lit a fire under the players and coaching staff. There must have been a sense of urgency on the offensive staff. Why all of a sudden, Gaynor at center, running game humming, offensive line giving false keys by pulling in opposite direction of the real play, Mule only was going thru 2 progressions, etc. Why, and why now? Reagor all over the field, D. Anderson running in the slot, the entire offense simplified. It was GP basically saying pull your head out of your ass offensive coaches.

Out of necessity. I know there's some clever saying out there about how desperation can breed some great ideas. Maybe that's what happened to a degree.

4th. down

Out of necessity. I know there's some clever saying out there about how desperation can breed some great ideas. Maybe that's what happened to a degree.

Well, going forward for next year we may see Reagor more in the slot than wide, so that he can get more touches. I believe this game showed us we need him more involved. A 1000 plus yds. receiving as a soph. with our unstable QB situation, he may be our best talent since LT. Franchione once inferred regarding LT, we are going to ride our best horse until they stop him.