• The KillerFrogs

Post game interview: Cumbie called out

Moose Stuff

I'm excited to see more Reagor in the YEAR to come, but we need another couple of WRs to step up. It's easy to game plan, when all you have to do is cover 1 guy. We might not be able to win a bowl game if someone else doesn't start getting separation and be able to hold onto the ball.

Doctson was amazing, but he also had the fastest [ Orgeron ] on the field lining up on the other side to help pick up some defenders.

FIXED.

FrogLifeYo

Our offense scored a combined 40 points against what might be the two worst units in the league. They are at the very least among the worst. We didn’t win these last two games because of Mule or our offense, we won because the defense played very well. Much better than they played against Kansas for sure.

Don’t disagree with you but perhaps we should have constructed an offense early that would have allowed us place less pressure on the QB position. I’m not saying we would have scored 40 a game but I do believe we would have limited turnovers and generally placed our solid defense in less vulnerable situations.

BleedNPurple

Don’t disagree with you but perhaps we should have constructed an offense early that would have allowed us place less pressure on the QB position. I’m not saying we would have scored 40 a game but I do believe we would have limited turnovers and generally placed our solid defense in less vulnerable situations.
Our offense wasn’t scoring jack against 2 more of the worst defenses - KS and TTech - at what point do you wake up and realize you might not have the personnel to run your dream offense? Asking for a team that should be 8-4.

FrogLifeYo

Our offense wasn’t scoring jack against 2 more of the worst defenses - KS and TTech - at what point do you wake up and realize you might not have the personnel to run your dream offense? Asking for a team that should be 8-4.

My theory is that Cumbie felt he had in SR everything that seemed to be a KHill limitation. Big Arm, Physical Runner, and a chance to be a 3yr starter. He looked at all these tools and decided to install a bunch of read heavy misdirection with a vertical passing game. The very kind of offense that absolutely can’t be successful without exceptional QB play. What he misread completely is that SR and later MC neither had the experience to place a whole team on their shoulders and carry it. This was a terrible gamble on his part and absolutely made no since. Have no idea why he didn’t slowly open up the book based on SRs ability to consistently produce in the base offense.

What was especially strange is that he changed and simplified the playbook the year before for Hill...A starter who mind you had the luxury of being in his second year. It just so happened that it resulted in an 11 win season with a Big 12 Title game appearance. Again I like Cumbie. I think he’s smart, creative, and can grow but the reality is he was as much the problem this year as injuries and youth. His miscalculation cost us at least a couple of games.

I am hopeful that he like all the other inexperience around our program will improve. If we struggle next year with 9 starters returning then he needs to go

Frog-in-law1995

Just crossed my mind that after the fun they had moving Reagor around, and probably feeling like they’re playing with house money in the bowl game, we could see some really interesting stuff in the game next month. Kept expecting to see Reagor throw a pass to Mule out of that wildcat (after drawing in the safety and corner with play-action on a sweep to the side Mule motions to).

FrogLifeYo

As I watched Cumbie use Reagor so creatively I couldn’t help but wonder if he was taking pages out Purdue’s use of their star freshman Rondale Moore.

4th. down

Just crossed my mind that after the fun they had moving Reagor around, and probably feeling like they’re playing with house money in the bowl game, we could see some really interesting stuff in the game next month. Kept expecting to see Reagor throw a pass to Mule out of that wildcat (after drawing in the safety and corner with play-action on a sweep to the side Mule motions to).

Was thinking the same if Reagor can pass, which he probably can. Look for even more improvement in the Mule with 3 more weeks of 1st. team reps. and we get some injured players back, I like our chances against whomever we play in the bowl.

My theory is that Cumbie felt he had in SR everything that seemed to be a KHill limitation. Big Arm, Physical Runner, and a chance to be a 3yr starter. He looked at all these tools and decided to install a bunch of read heavy misdirection with a vertical passing game. The very kind of offense that absolutely can’t be successful without exceptional QB play. What he misread completely is that SR and later MC neither had the experience to place a whole team on their shoulders and carry it. This was a terrible gamble on his part and absolutely made no since. Have no idea why he didn’t slowly open up the book based on SRs ability to consistently produce in the base offense.

What was especially strange is that he changed and simplified the playbook the year before for Hill...A starter who mind you had the luxury of being in his second year. It just so happened that it resulted in an 11 win season with a Big 12 Title game appearance. Again I like Cumbie. I think he’s smart, creative, and can grow but the reality is he was as much the problem this year as injuries and youth. His miscalculation cost us at least a couple of games.

I am hopeful that he like all the other inexperience around our program will improve. If we struggle next year with 9 starters returning then he needs to go
I think what you're saying about his thoughts on SR are probably correct and those same thoughts seemed to carry over to MC. I've felt and said all year that it goes way beyond the QB's. A lot of SR and MC's struggles appeared to me to be systemic in that the entire premise of the offense seemed to be centered on our guys beating their guys rather than creatively finding ways to gain favorable matchups. It was like it literally took the reality of having a QB that he felt was more limited before realizing that he didn't have the personnel (outside of Reagor) who could make much of anything he was trying to do work. If we had done some of the things we did Saturday with SR and MC, I think there's a good chance both would have made a lot more plays and a lot less mistakes.

BleedNPurple

Using Reagor the way Cumbie did tonight helped the offense tremendously, Mule specifically.

Not taking away from Mule’s performance, just saying Cumbie did a great job mixing up the offense(despite some questionable red zone calls).

And OSU didn’t help themselves first half. They couldn’t get out of their own way.

He’s had Regor all season - why did it take him to this point in the season to start using it? It’s like giving a new golfer a bag of 20 golf clubs - having so many weapons they don’t even have the basics of hitting one club well. By attrition our crazy pass happy offense has whittled themselves down to the plays and concepts that we can run really well. It’s great having a quadruple threat player like Reagor - we need to find the other one for this bowl game so we can have some decoy plays. Offensive line seems to also be finding their footing under this offensive strategy.

Pretty obvious QB’s 1 and 2 were having to think too much running the air raid. Also, cannot understand why anyone was not pulled for all of the turnovers. The senior seems to put a higher priority on taking care of the football thankfully.

Next year is going to be interesting. Just glad we’re getting to a bowl! Gary said before the Baylor game how does anyone know that this could be the start of a 20 game win streak when the doubters were questioning him at the news conference before the game. We need to go back to the “Don’t back down” theme.

netty2424

He’s had Regor all season - why did it take him to this point in the season to start using it? It’s like giving a new golfer a bag of 20 golf clubs - having so many weapons they don’t even have the basics of hitting one club well. By attrition our crazy pass happy offense has whittled themselves down to the plays and concepts that we can run really well. It’s great having a quadruple threat player like Reagor - we need to find the other one for this bowl game so we can have some decoy plays. Offensive line seems to also be finding their footing under this offensive strategy.

Pretty obvious QB’s 1 and 2 were having to think too much running the air raid. Also, cannot understand why anyone was not pulled for all of the turnovers. The senior seems to put a higher priority on taking care of the football thankfully.

Next year is going to be interesting. Just glad we’re getting to a bowl! Gary said before the Baylor game how does anyone know that this could be the start of a 20 game win streak when the doubters were questioning him at the news conference before the game. We need to go back to the “Don’t back down” theme.
Reagors got a thousand yards receiving this year. Not sure how much more you could “use him?” And not sure you could use him in that capacity, meaning rushing, for 12 games and remain healthy.

This team has some great skill position players, you simply can’t ignore that because Reagor had a huge game last week. I’d say Reagor got called to step up when other skill positions were somewhat depleted. It was a matter of necessity.

No one anticipated the turn overs from SR, or MC getting hurt, or Blacklock tearing an achilles, the list can go on and on.

It’s easy to say, why didn’t we do that all year long, with the the benefit of knowing 11 games worth of data.

texas_sicilian

f47cb21306be472abf3867d0d9cd8f81.jpg
2NARb.jpeg