• The KillerFrogs

NBC Sports: Ohio State to reportedly make $5 million for AT&T Stadium game with TCU

Wexahu

Worked out ok for tOSU in 2014?

Yes, it did. But we aren't Ohio State. We've got to be smart about how we go about things because our place in the college football world isn't as secure as OSU's. We're probably three 8-4, 6-6 type seasons in a row from being pretty irrelevant in the national conversation and OSU isn't. Besides, they've had one 7-win or less season in the past 16 years, we've had three in the past 6 years.

I hate not scheduling really good teams too, but I can't argue with the philosophy that we might be better off as a program right now making sure we have a good chance at being 3-0 heading into the B12 schedule than setting it up to where odds are we're going to be 2-1 and probably ranked in the low teens or 20's (in good years).

netty2424

Yes, it did. But we aren't Ohio State. We've got to be smart about how we go about things because our place in the college football world isn't as secure as OSU's. We're probably three 8-4, 6-6 type seasons in a row from being pretty irrelevant in the national conversation and OSU isn't. Besides, they've had one 7-win or less season in the past 16 years, we've had three in the past 6 years.

I hate not scheduling really good teams too, but I can't argue with the philosophy that we might be better off as a program right now making sure we have a good chance at being 3-0 heading into the B12 schedule than setting it up to where odds are we're going to be 2-1 and probably ranked in the low teens or 20's (in good years).
I'd hate to look back after a NC and know there's a good chance we got it bc we manufactured a weak schedule.

Worst thing that happens is we get beat badly and no one remembers in two years. If tOSU is that good, they beat us later on anyways.

Tumbleweed

Did anyone catch Hansen this morning's radio. Mentioned UM would be main topic.
??

What does everyone think on Meyer? Stay or Go

Major editing will take place & he'll be allowed to stay

Wexahu

I'd hate to look back after a NC and know there's a good chance we got it bc we manufactured a weak schedule.

Worst thing that happens is we get beat badly and no one remembers in two years. If tOSU is that good, they beat us later on anyways.

There is no chance with this new format (that requires two playoff wins) that anyone is going to referencing a weak schedule as to why a team won a NC. None. Maybe pre-2014 in the BCS era, but not now.

They were saying that about Bama last year until they beat Clemson and Georgia, then everyone pretty much conceded they probably had the best team.

netty2424

There is no chance with this new format (that requires two playoff wins) that anyone is going to referencing a weak schedule as to why a team won a NC. None. Maybe pre-2014 in the BCS era, but not now.

They were saying that about Bama last year until they beat Clemson and Georgia, then everyone pretty much conceded they probably had the best team.
Unfortunately in this format, without a W against the likes of tOSU, we don't get in the playoff.

P

purplePPO

Did anyone catch Hansen this morning's radio. Mentioned UM would be main topic.
??

What does everyone think on Meyer? Stay or Go

Major editing will take place & he'll be allowed to stay

He's already a distraction for tOSU. Let it continue.

Wexahu

Not if there are 1-2 undefeated teams and 6 more blue blood teams that have only one loss.

First off, I don't agree with you. Secondly, I don't think that's even mathematically possible. I'll just say if we go 12-1 and win the Big 12 you've got nothing to worry about.

As for the fool me once, fool me twice stuff, that's clever and all but there really isn't much comparison between 1) playing Ohio State, going 12-1 and winning the Big 12 Championship game and 2) playing Minnesota at home (and an absolutely pathetic SMU team), going 11-1 and sharing a Big 12 title with Baylor.

Last edited:

Zubaz

Secondly, I don't think that's even mathematically possible.
Sure it is. Alabama and Clemson go undefeated. USC has 1 loss, Miami has one loss (Clemson in ACC title game), Georgia has 1 loss (Alabama in SEC title game), Ohio State has 1 loss, Wisconsin has 1 loss (Ohio State in B1G Title game).

So let's talk that out: P5 conference champs would be TCU, USC, Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. Alabama and Clemson would be in because they are undefeated, and presumably conference title game losers Miami, Georgia, and Wisconsin would drop off, leaving two spots for 1 loss conference champs USC, Ohio State, and TCU. Ohio State would certainly get the benefit of the doubt there by virtue of H2H ahead against TCU, so it would come down to TCU and USC. And if you told me you wouldn't be at least a little bit nervous in that scenario, I'm not sure I'd believe you.

It's unlikely, that kind of situation has only happened once in the four years of the CFP, but it's certainly mathematically possible.

Wexahu

Sure it is. Alabama and Clemson go undefeated. USC has 1 loss, Miami has one loss (Clemson in ACC title game), Georgia has 1 loss (Alabama in SEC title game), Ohio State has 1 loss, Wisconsin has 1 loss (Ohio State in B1G Title game).

So let's talk that out: P5 conference champs would be TCU, USC, Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. Alabama and Clemson would be in because they are undefeated, and presumably conference title game losers Miami, Georgia, and Wisconsin would drop off, leaving two spots for 1 loss conference champs USC, Ohio State, and TCU. Ohio State would certainly get the benefit of the doubt there by virtue of H2H ahead against TCU, so it would come down to TCU and USC. And if you told me you wouldn't be at least a little bit nervous in that scenario, I'm not sure I'd believe you.

It's unlikely, that kind of situation has only happened once in the four years of the CFP, but it's certainly mathematically possible.

Ok. A lot has to fall just perfectly for that to happen. In four years of the CFP playoffs there has only been one year where there were 6 1-loss teams or better, and since the Big 12 decided to play the extra game, that would translate to five teams today.

I'm not worried about being a 12-1 Big 12 champion and being left out of the playoff. If anything, if it did come down to a comparison of 1-loss teams, we'd probably get the benefit of the doubt just based on the perception that we were left standing at the altar in 2014. The odds of that scenario playing out though are extremely remote.

Zubaz

I would agree that the odds of it happening are remote, but they do exist. If all P5 conferences have either undefeated or 1-loss champs and it came down to a comparison of those 5 teams (as you said, there can not be co-champions anymore), someone would have to be left out.

Rose Bowl

I will definitely be at the game but that doesn’t mean that I’m happy about having to go to Jerryworld to see it. Makes me sick that we didn’t have a chance to play the home and home. I can’t condemn anyone who doesn’t have the money or feels like that it’s not worth the hassle.

tcudoc

I would agree that the odds of it happening are remote, but they do exist. If all P5 conferences have either undefeated or 1-loss champs and it came down to a comparison of those 5 teams (as you said, there can not be co-champions anymore), someone would have to be left out.
You could also throw in an undefeated Boise State, UCF, or Univ. of Houston with an OOC victory over a top 15 blue blood team into the mix to mess things up even more. Eventually, there will be one of those teams that will warrant inclusion. It is definitely harder now than ever for them, but I would hope that we all think it is possible for a Cinderella story team to emerge from that group. That was us not very long ago.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think it is just laughable that this is even being discussed. ESPN will take a 1-loss tOSU over a 1-loss TCU even if we beat them. What matters to them isn't who is the better team, or who is more deserving, it is who brings them better potential ratings. tOSU does that every time.

That is the salient fact. To pretend otherwise is just silly.

tcudoc

I think it is just laughable that this is even being discussed. ESPN will take a 1-loss tOSU over a 1-loss TCU even if we beat them. What matters to them isn't who is the better team, or who is more deserving, it is who brings them better potential ratings. tOSU does that every time.

That is the salient fact. To pretend otherwise is just silly.
Wexahu in 3...2...1..."Hold my beer"

Zubaz

ESPN will take a 1-loss tOSU over a 1-loss TCU even if we beat them
Ignoring the whole "ESPN doesn't operate the playoffs" thing (which the more conspiracy minded around here tend to forget or try to explain away), there's never been any evidence that this quoted part is true. The only time the H2H winner was snubbed for the H2H loser in the CFP has been when the H2H winner had a worse overall record. If you can find an example where that's not the case in the CFP, I'd be interested to see it.

Zubaz

You could also throw in an undefeated Boise State, UCF, or Univ. of Houston with an OOC victory over a top 15 blue blood team into the mix to mess things up even more. Eventually, there will be one of those teams that will warrant inclusion. It is definitely harder now than ever for them, but I would hope that we all think it is possible for a Cinderella story team to emerge from that group. That was us not very long ago.
We already know that 1-loss P5 gets the nod over undefeated G5. There's not a doubt in my mind that would continue to be the case given a 1-loss logjam among P5 champions. Until we figure out whether undefeated G5 > 2-loss P5 champion (no 2 loss team has made it in to date), I don't think the G5 would be considered under other circumstances.