• The KillerFrogs

NBC Sports: Ohio State to reportedly make $5 million for AT&T Stadium game with TCU

H0RNEDFR0G

First off, I don't agree with you. Secondly, I don't think that's even mathematically possible. I'll just say if we go 12-1 and win the Big 12 you've got nothing to worry about.

As for the fool me once, fool me twice stuff, that's clever and all but there really isn't much comparison between 1) playing Ohio State, going 12-1 and winning the Big 12 Championship game and 2) playing Minnesota at home (and an absolutely pathetic SMU team), going 11-1 and sharing a Big 12 title with Baylor.

As much as it pains me to say it; Wexahu is right. If we are 12-1 with a week 3 non-conference loss, we are a lock. The only 12-1 teams left out both lost their conference championship game.

It's also worth noting that no 2 loss team has never made the playoff. Our conference is the only one that guarantees a rematch in the CCG. Losing to Ohio State makes our playoff chances incredibly difficult; we have to beat the #2 team in our conference twice.

netty2424

Sure it is. Alabama and Clemson go undefeated. USC has 1 loss, Miami has one loss (Clemson in ACC title game), Georgia has 1 loss (Alabama in SEC title game), Ohio State has 1 loss, Wisconsin has 1 loss (Ohio State in B1G Title game).

So let's talk that out: P5 conference champs would be TCU, USC, Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. Alabama and Clemson would be in because they are undefeated, and presumably conference title game losers Miami, Georgia, and Wisconsin would drop off, leaving two spots for 1 loss conference champs USC, Ohio State, and TCU. Ohio State would certainly get the benefit of the doubt there by virtue of H2H ahead against TCU, so it would come down to TCU and USC. And if you told me you wouldn't be at least a little bit nervous in that scenario, I'm not sure I'd believe you.

It's unlikely, that kind of situation has only happened once in the four years of the CFP, but it's certainly mathematically possible.
Another interesting scenario, IMO, if TCU really wets the bed and loses big to tOSU, has some really close games to some middle of the road Big-2 teams, and barely beats OU, late FG or something like that. OU is also a 1 loss, but handily beat all of their opponents. TCU is conf champs, but outside of the TCU game, OU dominated all season long........OU get in over TCU?

EDIT NVM. CCG creates rematch and a two loss in this scenario.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Ignoring the whole "ESPN doesn't operate the playoffs" thing (which the more conspiracy minded around here tend to forget or try to explain away), there's never been any evidence that this quoted part is true. The only time the H2H winner was snubbed for the H2H loser in the CFP has been when the H2H winner had a worse overall record. If you can find an example where that's not the case in the CFP, I'd be interested to see it.

Who pays the bills for the "Playoff Committee"? Why, that would be ESPN. Who puts the whole thing on? Why, ESPN.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune..."

ifrog

I think the LSU game in 2013 gave Gary some second thoughts about scheduling heavyweights. Our scheduling decisions since that game kind of back that up.

Lol that was one of our worst teams in recent history and we were in that game until the 4th quarter.

Zubaz

Who pays the bills for the "Playoff Committee"? Why, that would be ESPN. Who puts the whole thing on? Why, ESPN.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune..."
Uh, ESPN shows the show, but they don't "put the whole thing on" any more than Fox did when they broadcast the BCS.

Anyway, do you have some evidence or precedent of an equal-record H2H winner getting picked over the H2H loser?

First off, I don't agree with you. Secondly, I don't think that's even mathematically possible. I'll just say if we go 12-1 and win the Big 12 you've got nothing to worry about.

As for the fool me once, fool me twice stuff, that's clever and all but there really isn't much comparison between 1) playing Ohio State, going 12-1 and winning the Big 12 Championship game and 2) playing Minnesota at home (and an absolutely pathetic SMU team), going 11-1 and sharing a Big 12 title with Baylor.
For the love of God, can you just let it go? You aren’t going to change anybody’s mind at this point. Let them have their opinion and move on. It will probably stop at that. We’ll all be happier on here and we can discuss the actual topic at hand without going down this rabbit hole again and again.

Wexahu

For the love of God, can you just let it go? You aren’t going to change anybody’s mind at this point. Let them have their opinion and move on. It will probably stop at that. We’ll all be happier on here and we can discuss the actual topic at hand without going down this rabbit hole again and again.

I’m never the one that brings it up first. Do you notice that?

Chongo94

Watched Hard Knocks tonight. Clevenders are EXACTLY how I pictured they would be.

We need to figure out how to give Ohio back to the Shawnee and Iroquois.

froginmn

Yes, it did. But we aren't Ohio State. We've got to be smart about how we go about things because our place in the college football world isn't as secure as OSU's. We're probably three 8-4, 6-6 type seasons in a row from being pretty irrelevant in the national conversation and OSU isn't. Besides, they've had one 7-win or less season in the past 16 years, we've had three in the past 6 years.
It's tough for a decent team to win fewer than 8 games when its opponents are Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, and two (other) puff pastries in non conference.

HFrog1999

I hate the we don't do home/homes with these schools. I would've liked to see Ohio State play in Amon Carter and I would've liked the opportunity to see TCU play in Columbus.

However, after seeing the stadium in Columbus, I appreciate our new stadium even more. It was big, but old and not very well kept up. The club area was very disappointing and needed a lot of work. I spoke to the guy who handles their 300 plus events every year and he said that he had a very small budget and couldn't afford to repaint or remodel. I found that very surprising given the size of the school and their attendance.