• The KillerFrogs

NBC Sports: Ohio State to reportedly make $5 million for AT&T Stadium game with TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Ohio State to reportedly make $5 million for AT&T Stadium game with TCU

By Zach Barnett

Ohio State and TCU altered their home-and-home agreement into a single neutral-site game, which is a shame. To see the Buckeyes and their fans crammed into the 40,000-seat, renovated Amon Carter Stadium in Fort Worth would’ve been a treat in the era of big-time games played in antiseptic, soulless NFL stadiums.

But we know exactly why these one-off games in antiseptic, soulless NFL stadiums survive: money. They’re basically bowl games without the contractual requirement to pay for a week’s worth of hotel rooms for your entire football team and half your athletics department. This year’s Ohio State-TCU game at the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium has already been selected as ABC’s “Saturday Night Football” game for the week of Sept. 15, giving the Buckeyes the maximum amount of exposure, along with a high dollar amount.

Read more at https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...make-5-million-for-att-stadium-game-with-tcu/

The only time I believed CDC got suckered. Yes, more money and relationship with ESPN stays intact as they got what they wanted. But the benefits of tOSU at Amon Carter outweighs the money in my opinion. TCU is trying to create a winners football gameday culture in Fort Worth that will last through good or bad seasons, but can't do that when you throw away your most intriguing games to Jerry Jones. This money better help TCU keep its coaches all here for another year or two or help pay off the stadium expansion.

LeagueCityFrog

If TCU wins this game and pockets $5 million that's a huge victory for the Frogs. I'm kind of hoping Urban Meyer is still on the sidelines. The questioning he will get if he stays will be relentless.

YA

I am not as upset about moving the game as I am the ticket prices. That is price gouging. As I have said before, I don't want to play there again unless it's the Cotton Bowl, the Big 12 Championship Game, or a Playoff game.
The cost is the same as the LSU game a few years ago--look it up. No difference and we had a good turnout for that one.

What I am afraid of is the mindset like yours is going to keep people away and hurt TCU.

MTfrog5

The cost is the same as the LSU game a few years ago--look it up. No difference and we had a good turnout for that one.

What I am afraid of is the mindset like yours is going to keep people away and hurt TCU.
But it was a big deal to play in the game. Now there is a chance for us to play in that building every year at least once. The issue I have is having these games in the regular season, and then same prices for Big 12 Championship. Let’s say TCU makes the playoff and has to go to Sugar and Rose for Championship. That’s two more expensive trips. You can’t expect fans to pay that much for 4 games. This isn’t a TCU issue. This is a huge issue across the board

YA

But it was a big deal to play in the game. Now there is a chance for us to play in that building every year at least once. The issue I have is having these games in the regular season, and then same prices for Big 12 Championship. Let’s say TCU makes the playoff and has to go to Sugar and Rose for Championship. That’s two more expensive trips. You can’t expect fans to pay that much for 4 games. This isn’t a TCU issue. This is a huge issue across the board
Every game that TCU plays in is a big deal to me regardless of opponent or location

MTfrog5

Every game that TCU plays in is a big deal to me regardless of opponent or location
But when it comes down to people simply not being able to afford it compared to if it was part of the season ticket package, that’s a problem.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You can’t expect fans to pay that much for 4 games. This isn’t a TCU issue. This is a huge issue across the board

Yes. Yes it is. Like the Dennis Leary observation of Vegas v. Atlantic City* the College Football world has moved fully over into Atlantic City territory, and they're not coming back. They view us as fools to be shaken down regularly, held upside down until our pockets are empty, and then expect us to keep coming back again and again. I think there was some commentary at one of the "playoff" games that Alabama wasn't traveling all that well. Before I could properly ridicule the comment, Mrs. Brewingfrog snarled, "Well, those poor fans have paid out gobs of money two years ago for travel, lodging and tickets, twice. Then, last year, same thing, twice. Whaddya expect?!? They're out of money!"

Used to be there was a compact of sorts between University alumni/boosters and the University itself. That bond has been shattered in a lot of places, but we have held out up until the last few years. The old bond is going the way of the buggy whip, and we are all diminished by it.

* "See, Vegas always had this cool, enticing feel: 'Come on out! Spend some money! Have some fun!' Atlantic City, OTOH, just says, 'Screw you! Give us your money!'"

Moose Stuff

It’s not really a mindset. Some people just have better things to do with $500+ dollars than go to a football game.

YA

It’s not really a mindset. Some people just have better things to do with $500+ dollars than go to a football game.
it doesn't take $500 to go see this game per ticket

Here is my suggestion--don't go then and leave the seats to other fans and you can watch your daughter on TV.

Moose Stuff

it doesn't take $500 to go see this game per ticket

Here is my suggestion--don't go then and leave the seats to other fans and you can watch your daughter on TV.

I didn’t say it cost $500 per ticket. That’s a LOW END estimate for my family/group to attend. Here’s my suggestion, spend your money however you want and don’t worry about how I choose to spend mine.