• The KillerFrogs

NBC Sports: Ohio State to reportedly make $5 million for AT&T Stadium game with TCU

Which is why I don't attend games at JerryWorld. That board is so overwhelming it constantly draws your eye away from the action on the field. Last game I attended there, it suddenly dawned on me that I had just spent $200+ per seat to essentially watch television -- something I could have done at home for free.

A fool and his money....
No one is forcing you to look at the video board instead of the field.

Deep Purple

No one is forcing you to look at the video board instead of the field.
Nobody forces you to watch a plane crash either -- but try taking your eyes off of one. Smart money says you couldn't do it. It's not a question of force. Some things just compellingly draw the eye.

Scarlett-Johansson-Tattoos.jpg

See what I mean?

Double V

How is GP wrong? It would take a miracle alignment of the planets for TCU to make the 4-team playoff with a loss.
That approach is too Bayloresque for my liking.
Take the year we were closest to the CFP, 2014, and swap tOSU with Minnesota. If we beat them, do we make the playoffs that year? If we don't, we all know we don't. So what's the downside?

If we know we are toast with 1 loss in our "normal" schedule, shouldn't we WANT the opportunity to beat the tOSU's of the world as much as possible as a buffer for an L against an ISU (i.e. see OU last year) and the like?

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

froginmn

Patterson has said multiple times that he didn’t want to play Ohio State twice and that this game was scheduled before the Big 12. He now thinks his path to the playoff is much clearer and doesn’t need to risk a loss. So we take the money, play them once and GP is happy.
Liked for avatar.

FrogLifeYo

I’m torn on this...I still think playing these games early makes you a better football team. I’d much rather us be challenged and play games with big implications early. Every year I feel like the first 3 games are full of “wake up” moments where you can tell the lights are coming on but they are still too dim for GPS liking. I’m hoping the OSU game will accelerate that process and we will be in full beast mode by conference.

I know a loss is a nail in our coffin but I think it’s a game worth playing. Keep in mind that if we win that game we immediately hit the top 10 and it’s an absolute fire accelerator for a already hot recruiting run. This is the kind of games we need to play to get over the last hump on the national stage....Given the opportunity, I’m always going to vote for punching the biggest [ Arschloch] kid on the playground in the mouth.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Got suckered with LSU too. A too-young team couldn't keep up at Jerry World, but the team the next year would have kicked the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] out of LSU in Death Valley. Didn't learn anything from that mistake.
Sure we did—never park at Walmart, right Wes?

Wexahu

Why though? That was our worst team in a decade+, we lost by 10 at a neutral site to a team that went 10-3.

It was the worst record we had in a decade, but it wasn't our worst team IMO. 2016 was. The 2013 team was the best 4-8 team I've ever seen. The point is though that games like that early in the year can kind of derail a season before it gets going. If we had played, say, and Arkansas or a team of that caliber....1) I think we'd have probably won the game and 2) I don't think we'd have finished 5-7.

I may be wrong, but I got the feeling that after that game GP thought that it maybe wasn't the smartest thing to do.

cdsfrog

It was the worst record we had in a decade, but it wasn't our worst team IMO. 2016 was. The 2013 team was the best 4-8 team I've ever seen. The point is though that games like that early in the year can kind of derail a season before it gets going. If we had played, say, and Arkansas or a team of that caliber....1) I think we'd have probably won the game and 2) I don't think we'd have finished 5-7.

I may be wrong, but I got the feeling that after that game GP thought that it maybe wasn't the smartest thing to do.

I guess but that game didn't change much. Best 4-8 team ever? Perhaps but still bad yet did fine versus LSU. Definitely think we could have been 6-6/7-5 that year but we lost all of the close games for a reason.

FrogLifeYo

Derailed, perhaps...:but Without the 2013 teams struggles we don’t make the changes needed to have that 14 run...Life has a way of re-orienting people...Football programs are not immune to that...