• The KillerFrogs

we are out of the the cfp

LSU Game Attendee

I think we win both and we are in
Far from a lock, but there's a reasonable shot (assuming what would be an uber-satisfying upset of BM). This take seems about right to me:

"FiveThirtyEight gives TCU a 30 percent chance to reach the playoff if it wins out -- behind both Auburn and Ohio State as potential two-loss champs."

Go bammer, meatchicken, and to be safe- tree. To be extra safe go Ga Tech and Minnesota too!

mG4uL_PmuroBifv7EJY_0iA.jpg

Last edited:

rifram09

People aren't talking about TCU in the playoffs because they saw us play OU already and it wasn't close. Since our only path involves beating them, it isn't on people's radar. However, I bet you start hearing a lot more chatter about "what if" TCU beats OU during the CCG week coverage. Especially if we look salty vs Baylor to end the season.

Wexahu

People aren't talking about TCU in the playoffs because they saw us play OU already and it wasn't close. Since our only path involves beating them, it isn't on people's radar. However, I bet you start hearing a lot more chatter about "what if" TCU beats OU during the CCG week coverage. Especially if we look salty vs Baylor to end the season.

Yes, just winning isn't enough at this point. We need to throttle Baylor and then beat OU handily to have a shot IMO, just too many teams ahead of us at this point. Plus, I'm not sure barely beating OU even gets us ahead of them.

SuperTFrog

No offense to this year's team, but this isn't really the team I want to represent us for our first recent era National Championship opportunity anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I love this team and it's been a really, really fun season, and we still have the opportunity to accomplish some special things, but at the end of the day, this isn't a National Championship quality team IMO. We're just not good enough on offense this year to win a playoff game and then go on to win the National Championship.

And I really don't want our first playoff experience to end with a lopsided loss that leads to everyone saying, "This proves TCU has never belonged in the first place." It would be a disservice to all the National Championship quality teams that have come before them (2009, 2010, and 2014).
Agreed. If we get selected for the playoffs we should respectfully decline the invitation and go to the Poinsettia Bowl against a team we know we can beat.

Relax Maniac, just having a little fun.

Joe1000

So only undefeated teams are allowed to play in the CFP...Got it

This has ALWAYS been the only guarantee that we get in. I thought this was common knowledge? Don't see what yelling at other TCU fans about TCU's CFP reality accomplishes.

A 1 loss conf champ TCU is prob a 50/50 in most years, maybe 70/30, but the guarantee is gone. (Is it fair that a 1 loss OU or UT conf champ is a lock? No, but complaining about it doesn't change anything).

A 2 loss conf champ TCU...now you are just hoping it's some weird year where everything falls right. It's not impossible, but it isn't likely. Prob more 10/90.

The bottom line is, NO 2 loss team has a legit gripe about not being given a shot to win a National Championship. If you lose 2 games, you lose the right to be righteous about anyone being "selected" over you...even if it is a 2 loss blue blood (which you realize will ALWAYS happen).

FrogLifeYo

The bottom line is, NO 2 loss team has a legit gripe about not being given a shot to win a National Championship. If you lose 2 games, you lose the right to be righteous about anyone being "selected" over you...even if it is a 2 loss blue blood (which you realize will ALWAYS happen).

Sure there is...Any time a 2 loss team is chosen to get in over other 2 loss teams, those who didn't get chosen have legitimate reason to gripe...

I get your point. If you want to control your own destiny then handled your business..

LeagueCityFrog

If we find a way to beat the #1 offense in the country in OU and the Heisman winner, we will be 11-2 and our conference champion. We will be in at the #4 spot and will play the SEC Champ who will be the #1 spot in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl. You watch. Pac 12 and Notre Dame are toast this season. Beat Baylor!

Think how rocking Jerry's World is going to be in a week and a half! Awesome time to be a Frog!

Bob Sugar

Y'all seem to forget that about 5 weeks ago (before Morris went down) Folks were talking about TCU being the most complete team not named Alabama.

Now Morris is back. If TCU wins the next two, expect Patterson to hammer home that fact at every turn.

PO Frog

Y'all seem to forget that about 5 weeks ago (before Morris went down) Folks were talking about TCU being the most complete team not named Alabama.

Now Morris is back. If TCU wins the next two, expect Patterson to hammer home that fact at every turn.
I wouldn't expect GP to hammer anything home. Maybe an offhanded passive mention of it that nobody can decipher, but he certainly won't be out anywhere lobbying.

Wexahu

This has ALWAYS been the only guarantee that we get in. I thought this was common knowledge? Don't see what yelling at other TCU fans about TCU's CFP reality accomplishes.

A 1 loss conf champ TCU is prob a 50/50 in most years, maybe 70/30, but the guarantee is gone. (Is it fair that a 1 loss OU or UT conf champ is a lock? No, but complaining about it doesn't change anything).

A 2 loss conf champ TCU...now you are just hoping it's some weird year where everything falls right. It's not impossible, but it isn't likely. Prob more 10/90.

A 1-loss conference champ is about 90/10 in, whether its OU, UT or TCU. This year it would be more like 100% in.

When you play OOC schedules like OU and UT do, you increase your odds of winning the comparison of 1-loss teams. They aren't guaranteed in because they are OU and UT, they are guaranteed in in most years because they normally play a relative heavyweight in OOC plus no FCS schools. We'll be in their position next year because of our game with OSU.

Wexahu

If one guy on the OL has lead to our offense slipping so much then we probably aren’t a playoff team, IMO. I just want to win a conference title. Then we’ll see what happens.

In the first four games of the season we played Jackson State and three teams that are ranked 86th or worse nationally in defense. Arkansas and SMU are two of the worst teams in the country at stopping the run.

I think that has A LOT more to do with our offense "slipping" so much than missing Patrick Morris, and no offense to Patrick Morris, I think he's a good player. But man, it makes a HUGE difference who you're playing against. We didn't play one even average defense until the Iowa State game. Even WVU and KSU and ranked #102 and #104 (and yes, i know, they play against fast paced offenses in the Big 12.....but still, that's bad).

JogginFrog

Looking at the slim playoff chance still available, the biggest non-TCU game left on the slate is this weekend: Ohio State at Michigan. Those hoping to see the Frogs in the playoff this year need a Wolverine victory.

That, followed by a Buckeye win over Wisky, is the only way 11-2 TCU can finish above the eventual Big 10 champ. Chaos would still be needed in the ACC and SEC, but an Ohio State win this weekend finishes TCU's chances. And were that chaos to occur and 11-2 OSU wind up 4th to the Frogs' 5th...I'm not sure what it would do to some of the less-stout-hearted among us.

Personally, I'm fine with the Frogs not making the playoff this year at 11-2; I think this team's most favorable outcome is a conference title and NY6 Cotton Bowl win over Notre Dame. But please, not Ohio State in the playoff.