• The KillerFrogs

Tom Herman

froginaustin

I would feel sorry for Herman except for the guarantee in his contract.

Strong was given 3 years. Herman won't be, if his team doesn't improve miraculously this year. The newspaper claims that the crowd was the smallest at a home opener in quite a few years. Since Mackovic, IIRC.

The local newspaper is already on Herman's butt bad, and calling for - - - get this - - - Jerrod Heard (sp? - well, you know who I'm referring to) to start at QB seeing as Buchelle (another name I'm not sure I'm spelling right, and don't particularly care) is out for at least the next game.

I was given tickets to Maryland @ UTx, and not having been in their stadium since the latest remodel, I went. The fans in the stands were downright nasty. Not to Maryland and the scattering of their (sort of weirdo) fans in our general area, but to the home team and coaches. And to the refs who made some harsh, but as far as I could tell correct, calls that didn't go the UTx way.

UTx defense was just awful against a Maryland starting quarterback that probably couldn't make a B12 squad (as a QB-- maybe he could as a runner), even at Baylor. The UTx D did succeed in knocking him out of the game. The backup came in and looked like Joe Montana. Things could get really, really gruesome for UTx against the Okla schools, TCU, the Snydercats, WVU, and even TTech if its quarterback comes around. And then there's a little lil ole private school from L.A. with the Heisman contender QB that they get to deal with before they hit the meat of the conference.

My apologies for the rambling post. Point is, I could see around 7 losses for UTx this year, and the shortest coaching tenure in modern times. Shorter even that McWilliams' 2 years.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Is it just me or does anyone else laugh about UT being ranked in the top 25 to start the season? That group of people did Tom the Herman no great favor. The UT fan base still ranks higher than Baylor's and Tech's in my book. At least they have history on their side.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Is it just me or does anyone else laugh about UT being ranked in the top 25 to start the season? That group of people did Tom the Herman no great favor. The UT fan base still ranks higher than Baylor's and Tech's in my book. At least they have history on their side.

It was a laugher when I first saw it. I mean, talk about betting on the come...

They want UT to be good. Oh, soooo bad...

TSDJin

I would feel sorry for Herman except for the guarantee in his contract.

Strong was given 3 years. Herman won't be, if his team doesn't improve miraculously this year. The newspaper claims that the crowd was the smallest at a home opener in quite a few years. Since Mackovic, IIRC.

The local newspaper is already on Herman's butt bad, and calling for - - - get this - - - Jerrod Heard (sp? - well, you know who I'm referring to) to start at QB seeing as Buchelle (another name I'm not sure I'm spelling right, and don't particularly care) is out for at least the next game.

I was given tickets to Maryland @ UTx, and not having been in their stadium since the latest remodel, I went. The fans in the stands were downright nasty. Not to Maryland and the scattering of their (sort of weirdo) fans in our general area, but to the home team and coaches. And to the refs who made some harsh, but as far as I could tell correct, calls that didn't go the UTx way.

UTx defense was just awful against a Maryland starting quarterback that probably couldn't make a B12 squad (as a QB-- maybe he could as a runner), even at Baylor. The UTx D did succeed in knocking him out of the game. The backup came in and looked like Joe Montana. Things could get really, really gruesome for UTx against the Okla schools, TCU, the Snydercats, WVU, and even TTech if its quarterback comes around. And then there's a little lil ole private school from L.A. with the Heisman contender QB that they get to deal with before they hit the meat of the conference.

My apologies for the rambling post. Point is, I could see around 7 losses for UTx this year, and the shortest coaching tenure in modern times. Shorter even that McWilliams' 2 years.
Liked for the use of "Snydercats"!

Frog-in-law1995

Jpi9CvA.gif

DCTFherman.png

They are always a preseason top 25 ranked team. But yes, I laughed too when they ranked.

FROG PARENTS 1961

They don't have "recent history" on their side.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
I especially like Angelos BBQ. Although a standing Bear is greating me when I come through the door I am not to be confused with a Rape Fan

I liked Angelo's back in the 1980s when I was at TCU. Took my son there this May after moving my daughter out when she graduated. I probably hadn't been there since 1989 or maybe 1990. It has not aged well. Because my son has tasted the BBQ in Lockhart, Snow's in Lexington, Killen's in Pearland, and some others, he thought I was crazy talking up Angelo's.

East Coast

Tier 1
I liked Angelo's back in the 1980s when I was at TCU. Took my son there this May after moving my daughter out when she graduated. I probably hadn't been there since 1989 or maybe 1990. It has not aged well. Because my son has tasted the BBQ in Lockhart, Snow's in Lexington, Killen's in Pearland, and some others, he thought I was crazy talking up Angelo's.
Yes, I was there a couple of years ago for the first time in ages. The beer was still cold and served in a frosted mug, other than that, way down hill

Wexahu

It was a laugher when I first saw it. I mean, talk about betting on the come...

They want UT to be good. Oh, soooo bad...

I'm not sure it's that they want them to be good. They were #23 in the AP poll, why the heck would AP writers care whether Texas is good or not? I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that it's hard to believe Texas wouldn't be a top 25 team considering all they have going for them. They see the recruiting classes and figure they eventually have to get it turned around, so they bet on the come so to speak in the initial rankings.

Tom Herman is a great coach he will turn this around. The talent Texas has is impressive. Hermans system is complicated when he simplifies it watch out. They will improve a lot in their second game.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I'm not sure it's that they want them to be good. They were #23 in the AP poll, why the heck would AP writers care whether Texas is good or not? I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that it's hard to believe Texas wouldn't be a top 25 team considering all they have going for them. They see the recruiting classes and figure they eventually have to get it turned around, so they bet on the come so to speak in the initial rankings.

I don't know, why have they been writing how Texas was back and Austin was going to be the shining palace on the hill since Herman was hired? Writers love the traditional. Why do writers still take every opportunity to write in hopeful/praising tones about Norte Dame, USC, tosu, and now even pimping Penn State already?

They care.

ifrog

Tom Herman is a great coach he will turn this around. The talent Texas has is impressive. Hermans system is complicated when he simplifies it watch out. They will improve a lot in their second game.

He has lost to SMU, Navy and Maryland in the past year. Lets tap the brakes.

Wexahu

I don't know, why have they been writing how Texas was back and Austin was going to be the shining palace on the hill since Herman was hired? Writers love the traditional. Why do writers still take every opportunity to write in hopeful/praising tones about Norte Dame, USC, tosu, and now even pimping Penn State already?

They care.

And most articles I've seen about Texas this week haven't been very complimentary at all.

Writers love "the traditional?" What the heck is that even supposed to mean? Sportswriters care about writing stuff that people will want to read and find interesting, period. Sometimes they do a bad job of it, but that's their goal. And yes, more people are going to find an article about UT and Herman more interesting than some other coach who's been at his school for a decade. There's been a ton of glowing articles written about Matt Rhule too. Do you think that's because writers want Baylor to be good?

As for writers taking every opportunity to pump Notre Dame, USC, OSU, etc.....they don't, that's just your inferiority complex showing itself again.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
And most articles I've seen about Texas this week haven't been very complimentary at all.

Writers love "the traditional?" What the heck is that even supposed to mean? Sportswriters care about writing stuff that people will want to read and find interesting, period. Sometimes they do a bad job of it, but that's their goal. And yes, more people are going to find an article about UT and Herman more interesting than some other coach who's been at his school for a decade. There's been a ton of glowing articles written about Matt Rhule too. Do you think that's because writers want Baylor to be good?

As for writers taking every opportunity to pump Notre Dame, USC, OSU, etc.....they don't, that's just your inferiority complex showing itself again.

My inferiority complex? They are aren't writing about me.

You thinking locally. Around the country I have seen very little about Matt Ruhle and very little positive about Baylor.

You are right about one thing. I have a masters degree in journalism and agree that stories are written for eyebaalls. There are more eyeballs interested in Texas or any other state school or for the tshirt fans of Norte Dame.

If you don't think writers love the "traditional" I would offer the Norte Dame NC championship run and their eventual embarrassment. Writers pimped ND because they were winning, didn't matter they were getting by on a wing and a prayer, the media fawned all over them until they got pummeled in the NC game. If you think Baylor, Duke, TCU, Washington State or a Maryland outdoor have gotten the same hype, then there really is nothing to debate.

You will continue to think there is a level playing field in college football for everyone and I won't. My inferiority or mental worth is not based on any athletic endeavor. It is just an opinion-which is probably shared by more than not. But that's just an opinion too.

Where in Ohio are you from?