• The KillerFrogs

Tom Herman

Wexahu

So, do you belief that if Notre Dame had played a similar schedule as TCU in 2014 with no 13th game marker and had an 11-1 record that they would have been dropped out of the top 4 as TCU was?

Yes, I believe that. If their schedule was heavily loaded with home games, and the highest ranked team they beat was around #15 (at home), and the teams they were in competition with for that last spot won their CCGs by 59 and 30 points over highly ranked teams, yes, I believe FSU, Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State would've been the playoff teams. Why would Notre Dame have deserved to go in ahead of any of those teams?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So Ohio State would've been left out? I thought the committee's mission was to get Ohio State in there any chance they could?

Nit with an equally blue
Yes, I believe that. If their schedule was heavily loaded with home games, and the highest ranked team they beat was around #15 (at home), and the teams they were in competition with for that last spot won their CCGs by 59 and 30 points over highly ranked teams, yes, I believe FSU, Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State would've been the playoff teams. Why would Notre Dame have deserved to go in ahead of any of those teams?

I don't care if they had the exact same schedule as TCU. They are not dropping Notre Dame out of the top 4. I think you are delusional if you think they'd treat Notre Dame the same.

Wexahu

Nit with an equally blue

I don't care if they had the exact same schedule as TCU. They are not dropping Notre Dame out of the top 4. I think you are delusional if you think they'd treat Notre Dame the same.

So Ohio State wouldn't have made it? I thought the committee was all about getting Ohio State in whenever they could? They'd have left out a 12-1 OSU team that just won their CCG 59-0, meaning the Big 10 would not have been represented? Wait, I thought everything was about propping up the Big 10?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So Ohio State would've been left out? I thought the committee's mission was to get Ohio State in there any chance they could?
No, it has nothing to do with Ohio State. Notre Dame has an equal or stronger brand than Ohio State.

The point is I don't think the same excuses they applied to TCU would be equally applied to ND, i.e. A 13th game data point.

flyfishingfrog

the first time that ND has a shot at getting in as an independent - they will get in. Once they end up a full time member of the ACC, it won't matter as much other than they will be one of the preferred ACC members - but tv and CfB leadership are dying to justify NDs status as an independent. They pushed so hard for them to get in the NC and they embarrassed everyone involved when much like the undefeated FSU - anyone not overly invested knew they didn't deserve it.

the reality is its not all about the big 10, but it is all about blue blood names - and while currently OSU is a better program - ND is college football royalty and probably always will be simply based on their past - much like UT, USC, etc that everyone has short memories about

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
the first time that ND has a shot at getting in as an independent - they will get in. Once they end up a full time member of the ACC, it won't matter as much other than they will be one of the preferred ACC members - but tv and CfB leadership are dying to justify NDs status as an independent. They pushed so hard for them to get in the NC and they embarrassed everyone involved when much like the undefeated FSU - anyone not overly invested knew they didn't deserve it.

the reality is its not all about the big 10, but it is all about blue blood names - and while currently OSU is a better program - ND is college football royalty and probably always will be simply based on their past - much like UT, USC, etc that everyone has short memories about

ND will never give up their independent status, unless they are forced to by rule or the committee making it impossible for them to compete for a NC. Why take a cut in pay unless forced to. If they ever get jobbed like TCU (I don't believe for a second that would ever happen) they might play a confrrence schedule. But they know their reputation is based on not having to compete for championships. They'd have far fewer NCs if they had. Not to mention all NCs they were given when they refused to play in bowl games.

flyfishingfrog

ND will never give up their independent status, unless they are forced to by rule or the committee making it impossible for them to compete for a NC. Why take a cut in pay unless forced to. If they ever get jobbed like TCU (I don't believe for a second that would ever happen) they might play a confrrence schedule. But they know their reputation is based on not having to compete for championships. They'd have far fewer NCs if they had. Not to mention all NCs they were given when they refused to play in bowl games.
If they get gifted another shot at the NC and fall on their face like they did last time - I think they murmuring will begin that they need to play in a conference if they want a shot at it like everyone else. But I agree it will have to be forced on them for it to ever happen.

Wexahu

Well, if ND didn't deserve it that year, who did? Research it and let me know. I think other than Ohio State, who was in probation, they were the only undefeated team in the country and had beaten Michigan State, Michigan, Miami, Stanford, BYU, Oklahoma, and USC.

Do you just assume that because a team gets beat badly in the Championship game that they didn't deserve to be there? Who was supposed to be playing Alabama that year? ND went 12-0 against 10 P5 teams plus Navy and BYU. I mean, if that's not worthy of a bid in a title game in a year when nobody else goes undefeated, what are you asking for? Do you want a playoff system that just automatically eliminates ND because you hate them?

Last edited:

Chongo94

ace5606eaf778ccafd38f293e146e5ca.jpg

TX_Krötenechse

Tom Herman is a great coach he will turn this around. The talent Texas has is impressive. Hermans system is complicated when he simplifies it watch out. They will improve a lot in their second game.

We said that exact same thing about Charlie Strong.

They are always a preseason top 25 ranked team. But yes, I laughed too when they ranked.

This is the first time they've been ranked preseason since 2013 IIRC.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Wexahu, you fight the good fight and have some good arguments. But your insistence that it's a complete meritocracy is naive and contradicts everything that every knowledgeable CFB fan sees in front of their eyes every season. If you can't admit the undeniable truths that the blue bloods (tOSU, UT, OU, Mich, Bama, USC, ND, etc.) will get the benefit of the doubt and get more (and more favorable) press coverage, then no one can help you.

MinFrog

At what point does someone drop a pic or two of Herman's wife?

I am not sure what the point of a Tom Herman thread is without some pics of wifey and her fake up tops. It's like I don't even know this board anymore...

Tom Brown

Texas sucks, the Hermans swallow.

I only realized this weekend that the radio host that got into it with the Hermans is that guy that does the tv show with Chris Carter.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs

And it only takes one game for Herman's wife to start up again. What a perfect family to be down in Austin

I was wondering how long it would take her to blast someone. They're the most thin-skinned people ever. They're not going to make it long in Austin with that bs. Especially if they keep losing.