• The KillerFrogs

The REAL Star last night

SportsJunkie

At tip off the crowd seemed [ Finebaum ]ty on TV but then everyone came alive after Williams' dunk. I was very impressed watching on TV as we actually looked like a legit basketball fan base for once. Lol. So weird, yet cool, to say that.

WIN

At tip off the crowd seemed [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty on TV but then everyone came alive after Williams' dunk. I was very impressed watching on TV as we actually looked like a legit basketball fan base for once. Lol. So weird, yet cool, to say that.

We have been there before.

MTfrog5

Remember the days of the Killer Frogs when they used to drop purple and white streamers from the top of the dome as the players were introduced? Then the cheerleaders scrambled to clean the floor before the tipoff. Those crowds were very loud also.
Glad to see that the students had newspapers too even though I doubt they threw them at the bench like they used to do. Dixon had to have a say in that or someone was reading the board as that was discussed a couple weeks ago. I really don’t think some of the newer fans realize how loud DMC used to get

SuperTFrog

The real star is the city of Portland. Every time I come ere it gets harder to leave.

But seriously, the crowd on the late 90’s early 2000’s was pretty nuts. I remember on broadcasts they would say us and New Mexico had the two loudest arenas in the country.

Bob Sugar

The real star is the city of Portland. Every time I come ere it gets harder to leave.

But seriously, the crowd on the late 90’s early 2000’s was pretty nuts. I remember on broadcasts they would say us and New Mexico had the two loudest arenas in the country.
They must put something in the water.

Limp Lizard

I have heard from various non-TCU sources that that arena is one of the loudest anywhere when the fans start cheering. It is becoming an "in" place for the students to be and make noise. I was not there last night but some nights I was there during the Killer and Billy years I left with my ears ringing! I remember the late great Rick Majerus saying that was one of the toughest places to play that he had seen. Having a real home court advantage is huge!

MTfrog5

I have heard from various non-TCU sources that that arena is one of the loudest anywhere when the fans start cheering. It is becoming an "in" place for the students to be and make noise. I was not there last night but some nights I was there during the Killer and Billy years I left with my ears ringing! I remember the late great Rick Majerus saying that was one of the toughest places to play that he had seen. Having a real home court advantage is huge!
I have tried for years to find his quote because if I remember correctly he specifically said it was louder than Cameron Indoor. Between the old WAC, CUSA, MWC, and now the Big 12 we’ve been apart of some damn good basketball conferences

Uncle_Frog

I was at the game with work buddies from Kansas and from Tech (try not to judge) and both of them said the arena was loud last night. The Kansas guy said that even though our arena isn't big, he was surprised by the noise several times.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Glad to see that the students had newspapers too even though I doubt they threw them at the bench like they used to do. Dixon had to have a say in that or someone was reading the board as that was discussed a couple weeks ago. I really don’t think some of the newer fans realize how loud DMC used to get

"Why are all the Skiff boxes empty? Nobody reads that..."

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
What’s the story on the newspapers?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
What’s the story on the newspapers?
For those not there in the 80s... back in the day, the students and fans around the visiting bench would pretend to read newspapers out of boredom as the opponents were introduced. Then upon completion of introductions, hundreds of papers would be crumpled up and thrown at opposing bench. I'd be surprised if this was even still allowed. But it was back in a day where the standard bad referee chant was "ref beats his wife". A different time.

PurpleBlood87

For those not there in the 80s... back in the day, the students and fans around the visiting bench would pretend to read newspapers out of boredom as the opponents were introduced. Then upon completion of introductions, hundreds of papers would be crumpled up and thrown at opposing bench. I'd be surprised if this was even still allowed. But it was back in a day where the standard bad referee chant was "ref beats his wife". A different time.

I remember Assistant AD Mel Thomas going through the stands trying to take up all the papers before games.

I would usually wrap a plastic cup in a paper and let it fly. Once his Nolan Richardson square in the head.

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I thought that might be the case, I’ve seen that done elsewhere at baseball games. But this application is hilarious. There’s no way they’d allow the papers to be thrown at the team, but they should definitely do the first part still.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I also remember the streamers which were awesome, I recall more "left-right-left-SEE YA!!!" when people fouled out, and that the crowd used to get the keys out and jingle them in their hands when the opponents were basically finished. Really good times.

MTfrog5

Newspapers were still there with Tubbs as well. Wasn’t alive in the 80’s so Tubbs is really my first vivid memory or Frog basketball. Haven’t made a game this year but I have wished more fans would get involved with the “ahhhh See Ya” when a player fouled out as well.