• The KillerFrogs

So now that your offensive coordinator is our offensive coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Mike Schultz didn't recruit for TCU, worst in-game play decision making you could possibly imagine. Great at developing a complete offensive scheme but guy bombed under pressure.

Any Illini who wants to gloat over this God Bless your sorry arse.

Other than leading the Frogs to 4 of the top 5 point totals in TCU history, the only 1000 yard receiver in TCU history, 4 top 30 national offense totals and a wonderfully balanced offense which allows your defense to rest, he hasn't done anything good.

There are those on this board who refuse to look at the facts of how great a job he's done. I am not one of those. You will be pleased with the results.

BogeyGolf7

you will get mixed emotions from TCU fans, some will be glad he is gone, some will miss him
I am pretty neutral
all i can say is if this happens dont expect too much flash

TCU relies on Defense to win games, we dont try to blow anyone out
no trick plays, nothing new, sometimes this year we would get in a formation and I would be able to call out what play we were about to run

yes we put up yards and average a pretty good amount of points but I think the offense has been held back a little due to play calling and is too conservative

cant wait to see who takes over for the Frogs

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Huge loss for TCU's program. Produced top offenses and some individual offensive production in school history almost every year. He is considered an excellent evaluator of talent. There's a reason GP kept him around these years.

This will be interesting for GP as this is the first major change to his staff since he became HC.

If true good luck Schultz and thanks. I will miss doing the occasional Col. Klink "Schuuuultz." Overall you've been outstanding for us and I am sure you will be missed by those on the team, in the program, people who know football and know your contributions to our recent success.

frogman

Chemistry is a huge factor in any winning proposition .Eve though Fran started the 10 year high flying 2nd era of TCU footbal . Gary and Shulzie been the architects.Do not mees up the chemistry.

Tandom of Gary and Shulz stayed back after Fran left ,Two of them have had a lot to do with TCU success.Shulz is a jewel of a human being .Some of us who have spent some time with him,if he does .he will be missed a lot.

He has been maligned undeservedly by folks ,who know little about him and his craft.The better players we have gotten,the more he has become adept at managing them .

During 6 years he was our RB coach he managed LT and numerous other great RBs.Now he has better athletes ,you can see the offensive stats at TCU.

I am sorry to see folks bad mouthing him .I hope he stays.

purpleshades

QUOTE(ross @ Jan 2 2009, 07:42 PM) [snapback]281474[/snapback]
I hope you are wrong and he does not leave. But he is hated by many on this board because they don't like his play called but most of them are not very football savy and do not understand the difference in poorly called plays and poorly executed plays. he runs a balance attackand likes to run the option and the zone read. He would run a more wide open offense if allowed to by the HC. A very creative mind who some times gets too tricky for his own good. a great recruiter and a super nice person

That sums it up.

Opintel

Moderators
QUOTE(BogeyGolf7 @ Jan 2 2009, 08:06 PM) [snapback]281493[/snapback]
cant wait to see who takes over for the Frogs

I think this has been figured out to the littliest detail (if true). The timing is just right...stand by.

Houston Frog

Everyone who keeps talking about how he is a good coach because of our offensive statistics..... Those are inflated stats against crap defenses!!!

Name a time when we went up against a good defense and scored more than 20. And please don't say BYU.

Now name some times where he's single handedly blown the game with idiotic 4th quarter play calling.

I don't hate Schultz, I think he's better than most people do, but please don't just put on blinders and say he is good because of the numbers our offense puts up. Did you guys also think Colt Brennan should've gotten drafted over Matt Ryan? He had better numbers!!

froginaustin

My impression is that Coach Patterson believes that TCU can win with defense-- and a w/l percentage of about 75% over Patterson's tenure would argue that is is right-- and that means he expects his offense to hold on to the ball. Patterson likes time of possession, and no turnovers by the offense, even if that means conservative play calling.

It also means that Patterson will recruit running backs and receivers, and convert them into defensive players.

Apparently if Schultz has a weakness, it is game day play calling. And he may be weak as a play-caller relative to how good he is as a talent-evaluator and a player-developer.

I suggest that, on the whole, he is a damn good coach that deserves more money than TCU can/will pay assistants. I understand that the U of I is somewhat more generous with Zook's assistants, and if so Schultz deserves it.

Schultz has interviewed for several head coaching jobs in the last few years (Rice and New Mexico State come to mind) and always seems to be a finalist but never hired. He's been a TCU assistant at various levels for 11 years now, and maybe it's time for him to broaden his resume if he wants to be a D1A head coach by and by.

Best of luck to the U of I (unless they play us) and Coach Schultz.

BogeyGolf7

if you are concerned about recruiting - I hear great things about Coach Fuente in how he deals with HS kids and handles the meetings with HS coaches, so that part does not worry me

but we have all seen this before, I kind of remember something earlier this year....what was it.....oh ya, Gary Patterson was going to K-State

lets wait and see

ShreveFrog

Schultz called a great game against BYU, and I'll take others' word that he's a great recruiter. Thanks to Schultz for all he's done for TCU.
HOWEVER, I'm hoping we get better production in the red zone.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Jan 2 2009, 08:16 PM) [snapback]281455[/snapback]
Schultz going to Illinois must mean that Patterson is here to stay as TCU's head coach for a long time and/or Schultz saw the handwriting on the wall that if he stayed around, he wasn't going to be TCU's next head coach. Also could mean that Patterson got tired of his offensive philosophy, play-calling and game management. Naming a replacement for Schultz will be a critical decision for Patterson.

I'm guessing that after being passed over for a couple of head coaching positions he interviewed for, he decided that he probably needed to be a coordinator at a school with the BSC label before he could get one. Would probably get a 75% raise in pay too.

frogman

QUOTE(BogeyGolf7 @ Jan 2 2009, 08:28 PM) [snapback]281514[/snapback]
if you are concerned about recruiting - I hear great things about Coach Fuente in how he deals with HS kids and handles the meetings with HS coaches, so that part does not worry me

but we have all seen this before, I kind of remember something earlier this year....what was it.....oh ya, Gary Patterson was going to K-State

lets wait and see

Proof is in the pudding.Since 3 years or so ago Shulz became OC and Puente took over RB coaching,RB situation has been personal and recruiting mess,folks in doghouse disipline problems ,recruiting nightmare till this year.

we been running by a committee.I hope the offense does not become a offense by committee.

I hope we hire a high profile Offensive Coordinator if Shulz moves on.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(ross @ Jan 2 2009, 07:42 PM) [snapback]281474[/snapback]
I hope you are wrong and he does not leave. But he is hated by many on this board because they don't like his play called but most of them are not very football savy and do not understand the difference in poorly called plays and poorly executed plays. he runs a balance attackand likes to run the option and the zone read. He would run a more wide open offense if allowed to by the HC. A very creative mind who some times gets too tricky for his own good. a great recruiter and a super nice person

Great post.

tcu#6

He's either off and you will be ever so happy to give him back or he's on and your best oc you've ever had

OmniscienceFrog

As for the original question starting this thread, you could do better than Schultz and you could do a lot worse. When you play teams you are better than, with mediocre to poor defenses, you will look pretty good on offense. When you play teams that are better than you, you will move the ball some, but have trouble scoring points.

Maybe he will prosper more against the top level teams coaching in Zook's system than he has in Patterson's.

Status
Not open for further replies.