• The KillerFrogs

Out of The Box Thinking Big 12 Expansion Idea: Liberty University

ThisIsOurTime

I read an article where Liberty University had been turned down by Conference USA eventhough they were willing to give a much larger amount than the required sum. They are a program that is currently pouring a lot of money into their athletic facilities and is not in the existing footprint of other Big 12 schools but would provide a travel partner for WV. Plus, their admission into Power 5 conference would be a big shot in their arm for raising more money, recruiting and so on for them so they could get competitive faster than say some other mid-tier schools.

So I was thinking that you could consider adding them and BYU to add a couple of schools that have a following. Liberty University is a bigger school than I expected with an undergrade base of 15,000+ and grad base of another 6,000. Plus, where the Christian background of the school would cause problems in say the Pac12, it would be more at home in the Big12 with Baylor and TCU and could make a more sensible conference if Baylor, TCU, BYU and Liberty were in the same conference. Obviously, this would add some travel challenges and still have to work through other politics but this doesn't seem so farfetched as I would have thought even a week ago.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/colu...cle_4aef1fa8-6614-58ea-97f4-25805187fa70.html

ThisIsOurTime

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
Sorry but Arkansas, A&M,, Nebraska and Colorado aren't coming back and the commuter schools can't carry their own weight. Plus, the door to poach schools in other Power 5s closed. So if you want to get to 12, these are the type of teams you have to consider. The real other choices out there are schools like: New Mexico, CSU, Boise State, Memphis, etc.

TCURiggs

I read an article where Liberty University had been turned down by Conference USA eventhough they were willing to give a much larger amount than the required sum. They are a program that is currently pouring a lot of money into their athletic facilities and is not in the existing footprint of other Big 12 schools but would provide a travel partner for WV. Plus, their admission into Power 5 conference would be a big shot in their arm for raising more money, recruiting and so on for them so they could get competitive faster than say some other mid-tier schools.

So I was thinking that you could consider adding them and BYU to add a couple of schools that have a following. Liberty University is a bigger school than I expected with an undergrade base of 15,000+ and grad base of another 6,000. Plus, where the Christian background of the school would cause problems in say the Pac12, it would be more at home in the Big12 with Baylor and TCU and could make a more sensible conference if Baylor, TCU, BYU and Liberty were in the same conference. Obviously, this would add some travel challenges and still have to work through other politics but this doesn't seem so farfetched as I would have thought even a week ago.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/colu...cle_4aef1fa8-6614-58ea-97f4-25805187fa70.html

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conference.gif

netty2424

get-out.gif

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Sorry but Arkansas, A&M,, Nebraska and Colorado aren't coming back and the commuter schools can't carry their own weight. Plus, the door to poach schools in other Power 5s closed. So if you want to get to 12, these are the type of teams you have to consider. The real other choices out there are schools like: New Mexico, CSU, Boise State, Memphis, etc.

Reasons not to:

1) Falwell
2) Falwell
3) Falwell
4) Falwell
5) Falwell
6) Falwell
7) Falwell
8) Falwell
9) Falwell
10) McCaw

angelo's frog

No because Liberty is run by Jerry Falwell, Jr aka the spawn of Satan. I'd rather bathe in Santorum than be affiliated with an institution run by that sorry sack of excrement.

Frog-in-law1995

Your solution to improve the Big 12 is to invite a current FCS school that C-USA turned down?

Mark-Wahlberg-Shock-and-Confused-Look.gif

frogs9497

ThisIsOurTime

Reasons not to:

1) Falwell
2) Falwell
3) Falwell
4) Falwell
5) Falwell
6) Falwell
7) Falwell
8) Falwell
9) Falwell
10) McCaw

No because Liberty is run by Jerry Falwell, Jr aka the spawn of Satan. I'd rather bathe in Santorum than be affiliated with an institution run by that sorry sack of excrement.

I don't know. Falwell Sr is dead and Baylor is already in the conference so we may already be there. But if we are seriously considering BYU, we need a stronger argument than just I don't like their politics because any school we look at is going to have warts. Plus, I'm sure something could be worked out on that side of things that could be more palatable from a conference perspective. And if that bridge can't be made, well then obviously that works against them. But I would imagine they would be highly motivated.

Whatever schools are chosen it has to be ones that can stand on their own and can even flourish for the future stability of the conference. I think they are the type of school that could potentially do that like BYU because they are so unique/different. I'm not so sure the same can be said for other commonly listed candidates.

ThisIsOurTime

Your solution to improve the Big 12 is to invite a current FCS school that C-USA turned down?

They should be considered. Think of this like Moneyball. Liberty could be one of those misfit toys that works for us but wouldn't in another conference. All the C-USA story tells me is that Liberty is highly motivated to join a conference which is a good thing for us and would give the conference more bargaining power.