• The KillerFrogs

Out of The Box Thinking Big 12 Expansion Idea: Liberty University

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Conference realignment and CFP threads are always the best threads. For those of us that like to repeatedly foot strike expired equines that is.

Horned Toad

If you can find two legitimate replacements, the conversations about BYU can stop. But that is easier said than done. We are also in a conference with UT that has the same reputation. The issue keeps coming up because what want most is to make sure when the music stops TCU will have a nice landing spot and that probably requires the Big12 to get to 12 maybe even 14 teams.
I agree, how come no one ever complains about UT blowing up two conferences, the SWC and the Big 12 when they had 12 members? Their actions have run off four former members and almost collapsed the Big 12.

froghair

Now admittedly that was last week and things change and sometimes truth must be obscured by a phalanx of lies but I applaud the OP for tossing something into the discussion.
Yep, if/when there is money to be made with expansion, we'll attack it like crocodiles

FROG PARENTS 1961

Conference realignment and CFP threads are always the best threads. For those of us that like to repeatedly foot strike expired equines that is.

I say lets add Florida State (ACC) Florida (SEC) Clemson (ACC) South Carolina (SEC) Ohio State (BIG 10) and Michigan (Big 10) North Carolina (ACC) Miami (ACC) Nebraska (Big 10) Kentucky (SEC)

***East.
West Virginia
Ohio State
Michigan
Kentucky
North Carolina

***Southeast.
Florida
Miami
Florida State
Clemson
South Carolina

***West.
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Kansas State

***Southwest.
TCU
Texas Tech
Texas
Baylor
Kansas

4 divisional games per year and a round robin play a different division so that all teams are played every 3 years. Top teams in each division play each other according to rank. Top rank plays lowest ranked. Can have 2 teams that win the conference playoff or have a championship game between the winners. Looks good for basketball too.

Zubaz

If you can find two legitimate replacements, the conversations about BYU can stop. But that is easier said than done. We are also in a conference with UT that has the same reputation. The issue keeps coming up because what we want most is to make sure when the music stops TCU will have a nice landing spot and that probably requires the Big12 to get to 12 maybe even 14 teams.
Disagree. "When the music stops" the best play for TCU isn't to grant legitimacy to more teams that would be vying for our spot. That would be Houston, Cinci, BYU, Boise, and (I guess?) Liberty.

Either the Big 12 is viable with what we have right now or it's not. Adding two more nothing teams (or in Liberty's case, a fake nothing team because they aren't even a real university) wouldn't do anything to impact what's really holding the conference together: OU and UT being happy.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I say lets add Florida State (ACC) Florida (SEC) Clemson (ACC) South Carolina (SEC) Ohio State (BIG 10) and Michigan (Big 10) North Carolina (ACC) Miami (ACC) Nebraska (Big 10) Kentucky (SEC)

***East.
West Virginia
Ohio State
Michigan
Kentucky
North Carolina

***Southeast.
Florida
Miami
Florida State
Clemson
South Carolina

***West.
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Kansas State

***Southwest.
TCU
Texas Tech
Texas
Baylor
Kansas

4 divisional games per year and a round robin play a different division so that all teams are played every 3 years. Top teams in each division play each other according to rank. Top rank plays lowest ranked. Can have 2 teams that win the conference playoff or have a championship game between the winners. Looks good for basketball too.
You forgot Alabama and Notre Dame. Otherwise it's very reasonable and easily achievable.

JogginFrog

OP's suggestion makes me feel just a little less dumb for that time when I suggested St. Louis.

While that was dumb, I do think an underestimated dynamic in the conversation has been the leverage that could be gained by opening conversations with schools in sizable markets that would be perceived as a threat to programs in other P5 conferences.

Open a conversation with Tulane and see if the SEC doesn't offer something of value to shut that talk down. Open talks with Colorado State or Air Force and discover if Colorado would consider returning to the Big 12 to remain the only P5 school in the state.

Most conversations focus only on what School X adds to the Big 12. If you can't poach another P5 school, the next best thing is to talk to schools in substantial TV markets for which P5 status would threaten an existing P5 program's recruiting base.

flyfishingfrog

I agree, how come no one ever complains about UT blowing up two conferences, the SWC and the Big 12 when they had 12 members? Their actions have run off four former members and almost collapsed the Big 12.
So your answer to how to deal with UT being a problem is to add a bigger problem that has had less success and a lot less money and ability to help out the conference?

Ok...

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Bama needs Auburn and Notre Damm is a lone monkey wouldn't work.
you-serious-clark-o.gif

After following KFC as a guest for years, I feel the need to make a new handle (yes I forgot my old log in info) and agree that this is one of the dumbest posts I have seen.... unless the original post was a joke.

I like to speak in GIFs
giphy.gif

Spike

If you can find two legitimate replacements, the conversations about BYU can stop. But that is easier said than done. We are also in a conference with UT that has the same reputation. The issue keeps coming up because what we want most is to make sure when the music stops TCU will have a nice landing spot and that probably requires the Big12 to get to 12 maybe even 14 teams.

CDC said last Friday that they are not looking to expand. They don't want to divide the TV pot w/ someone who doesn't bring something to the table. I think BYU is below average in P5 conference. Just not a fan of theirs. Don't think the urgency is there at moment. Would rather see someone like UH build themselves up to become viable.