• The KillerFrogs

OU Daily: Sooners' biggest hole will be at safety this weekend

Moose Stuff

Honest question, do they not throw to Turpin deep because by the time Hill gets the ball to him, he'd be up and over the wall and 7 rows deep in the stands?

Seriously, though, does Turp just outrun our quarterback's accuracy/arm strength?
I'm not bashing Hill by any means, he's gotten us to where we are by near record-setting completions, but how many of those throws were over 15-20 yards in the air? I would love to see a graphic that shows where Hill's passes were caught this year. I have watched every game, and I don't recall more than a couple of times where the ball has passed 20 or so yards before our receivers took over and did the rest.

Never really thought Turp was super fast, just unbelievably shifty and with great vision.

Wexahu

Honest question, do they not throw to Turpin deep because by the time Hill gets the ball to him, he'd be up and over the wall and 7 rows deep in the stands?

Seriously, though, does Turp just outrun our quarterback's accuracy/arm strength?
I'm not bashing Hill by any means, he's gotten us to where we are by near record-setting completions, but how many of those throws were over 15-20 yards in the air? I would love to see a graphic that shows where Hill's passes were caught this year. I have watched every game, and I don't recall more than a couple of times where the ball has passed 20 or so yards before our receivers took over and did the rest.

I think its more because when you throw deep to a guy that's 5'7" it's just really hard because they generally aren't going to win jump balls, and getting separation downfield isn't easy. Plus that just hasn't been Hill's strength.

I think we have quite a few players faster than Turpin anyway. Not as quick, and definitely not with the stop/start ability, but with more straight line speed that you like to have for deep throws.

FrogCop19

Never really thought Turp was super fast, just unbelievably shifty and with great vision.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen ANYONE catch him in the open field. Anytime he gets even with a defender, it's over. Hell, he caught up to that interception and made the tackle AFTER he fell down, got up, got blocked, and had to wind his way through about 5 defenders to bring the cornerback down.

Yeah, he superfast.

Sebastian S

I don't think he has top speed but he gets to his top speed fairly quick. I bet you there are a couple players on the team that can beat turpins top speed.

His moves are also very sharp and sudden.

FrogCop19

I think its more because when you throw deep to a guy that's 5'7" it's just really hard because they generally aren't going to win jump balls, and getting separation downfield isn't easy. Plus that just hasn't been Hill's strength.

I think we have quite a few players faster than Turpin anyway. Not as quick, and definitely not with the stop/start ability, but with more straight line speed that you like to have for deep throws.

Jalen says "hi"

DJ7L0hMVwAASGCo.jpg:large

(yes, I know he's a 2-3 inches taller, but still...)

TCURiggs

Really? I don't think I've ever seen ANYONE catch him in the open field. Anytime he gets even with a defender, it's over. Hell, he caught up to that interception and made the tackle AFTER he fell down, got up, got blocked, and had to wind his way through about 5 defenders to bring the cornerback down.

Yeah, he superfast.

He's definitely been caught a couple of times this season, as I remember thinking to myself "wow, I don't ever remember him being caught last year." There was some discussion about it on the board as well.

I think Des White, who has been great this year, has taken some of Turps touches away. Outside of that, I'm not sure why he hasn't been targeted more... maybe GP's line of "saving him so he doesn't get injured" has some truth to it, but I still hate it if that's true. He's too explosive not to utilize as much as possible.

It's also not an issue with Turp outrunning Kenny's arm. Hell, most of the time people witch that Kenny throws the ball too far on deep balls. Kenny's arm strength isn't an issue.

Wexahu

Jalen says "hi"

DJ7L0hMVwAASGCo.jpg:large

(yes, I know he's a 2-3 inches taller, but still...)

A few inches taller, plus I bet his arms are another inch or two longer. And I'd bet everything I had Reagor would beat Turpin in the 40. He fits the qualities of a deep threat much more than Turpin does.

W

Way of the Frog

For the last 4 weeks every team has played us the same way..commit 7 to the box, press cover on the outside and drop into zone..None of that will change this week.

Its no secret that every team thinks they can force Kenny into loosing the game. They've all failed because they didn't realize we aren't asking Kenny to win the games. We are winning because we are surprising teams with how much more physical we are then them. We don't need Kenny to win games for us or be a gunslinger. If we can run downhill on OU we will win

if at this point in the season an opponent doesn't have an idea what the Frogs are or are not trying to do on offense someone's ass needs to be fired in that program.

Sebastian S

I think Coach P said last week they will let Turpin loose, he just needs to touch the ball more often.

Probably didn't need to do so vs Texas.

I am sure he will be used heavily this Saturday.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Hearing that OU's weakness will be its safeties is interesting because their glaring weakness in high scoring games has been their corners. Therefore, this Saturday their entire secondary is one big question mark. They aren't going to be able to blitz very well for fear of getting toasted. This will not be a game to say "run the damned ball" because that's one of their few defensive (relative) strengths. Given their secondary issues, OU may be begging us to run the ball. Hopefully we spread the field and allow Kenny to hit wide open receivers who get mega yards after the catch.

Our short passing game needs to get into gear. Quick throws, catch the ball first before running, get first downs and throw in a few deep balls to keep them honest. One other thing - when we go to tempo on offense, could we please not sub players? Playing fast requires using the same personnel on several successive plays, not allowing the defense to swap in fresh players.

W

Way of the Frog

Hearing that OU's weakness will be its safeties is interesting because their glaring weakness in high scoring games has been their corners. Therefore, this Saturday their entire secondary is one big question mark. They aren't going to be able to blitz very well for fear of getting toasted. This will not be a game to say "run the damned ball" because that's one of their few defensive (relative) strengths. Given their secondary issues, OU may be begging us to run the ball. Hopefully we spread the field and allow Kenny to hit wide open receivers who get mega yards after the catch.

Our short passing game needs to get into gear. Quick throws, catch the ball first before running, get first downs and throw in a few deep balls to keep them honest. One other thing - when we go to tempo on offense, could we please not sub players? Playing fast requires using the same personnel on several successive plays, not allowing the defense to swap in fresh players.

Their run defense in a not a strength. Why do I keep reading this on the site?

Wexahu

Their run defense in a not a strength. Why do I keep reading this on the site?

I'm not sure their defense has a strength. I would guess their weakness is their D coordinator. I remember hearing a Cowboys scout (Brian Broadus I believe....former scout I guess) go on a rant about when he watched Charles Tapper on film he said it was hard to scout him because OU's defensive schemes were so terrible. That's not something you hear much, you kind of assume every coach at this level is better than that.

Shorty

A few inches taller, plus I bet his arms are another inch or two longer. And I'd bet everything I had Reagor would beat Turpin in the 40. He fits the qualities of a deep threat much more than Turpin does.
If you go back and watch Turp's TD against ISU Reagor is gaining on him as they run down the field.

FrogCop19

Intermediate routes are the answer (not deep). Need to find holes in the zone and make one guy miss. That’s the recipe for big plays this weekend.

Not only are they the answer this week, what I was trying to say in my first post is that they have been the answer all year.

jake102

I can guarantee you that Reagor smokes Turpin in the 40-50 yard dash.

Where Turpin is dangerous (and we keep missing him) is when the defense doesn't have a safety in the middle of the field. Turpin jukes his defender and gets WIDE open every single time. We threw it to him against KState and he dropped a sure TD and haven't gone back to it.

Against Kansas, Turpin was wide open on that route on the TD that went to Taj. Hill could have throw it with his left hand Turpin was so open.

Sebastian S

Turpin is the guy every defense wants to account for on every play.

I think he was used as a decoy because they will almost always want help wherever Turpin lines up. That's how the trick pass to Kenny worked so well, everyone went towards Turpin.

FrogCop19

I can guarantee you that Reagor smokes Turpin in the 40-50 yard dash.

Where Turpin is dangerous (and we keep missing him) is when the defense doesn't have a safety in the middle of the field. Turpin jukes his defender and gets WIDE open every single time. We threw it to him against KState and he dropped a sure TD and haven't gone back to it.

Against Kansas, Turpin was wide open on that route on the TD that went to Taj. Hill could have throw it with his left hand Turpin was so open.

And from the sounds of it, OU won't have *two* safeties on the field come Saturday... That slant route should be open all damn day. And when it's not, throw it to Diarse over the top. Or Snell. Or Dez. Or Reagor. Or Hicks out of the backfield in the flats when everyone collapses into the middle. Or Anderson.

Then have Sewo smash it up the middle when everyone spreads out to defend that.

W

Way of the Frog

OU has some very good athletes on their defense. They will gamble a great deal and look for creating negative plays.

Alignment is similar to WVU and UT, but the scheme is not as sound and at times they will do things that are very unfundamental. I also don't think you see great technique being taught as they have not been a good tackling this year.

Key is make the plays when they present themselves, don't panic, and don't worry about keeping up with their offense. Run your game plan.

They remind me a great deal of Baylor in regards to when their offense as those quick strikes opponents at times panic and get away from their game plans. Stick to the plan, believe in it, and the Frog defense will need to make a couple of stops.