• The KillerFrogs

James Harrison needs to be suspended forever.

Kaiser

yes.

because bruising of the brain.

tearing of blood vessels.

and permanent nerve damange because some jackass decides to lead with his helmet.

thats all part of football.

you guys are ridiculous and need to do some reading on concussion injuries.

Linemen suffer hundreds of micro concussions every season. Studies have shown a linemens cognitive abilities are lower at the end of a season than a player with a concussion.

It's a violent & dangerous game. The NFL is more concerned about appearing to care about safety than they are about actual safety.

Hence why big hits draw flags as often as bad hits. Hence why the NFL treats its retired players like garbage. Hence why QB's & WR's are the only protected players. Hence why nobody cares about offensive players lowering their helmets into defenders & creating the dangerous play. WR's shouldn't be allowed to leave their feet for a catch or duck down in anticipation for a hit; for safety reasons of course.

jake102

I hate how the rules are changing with the helmet to helmet hits, especially on receivers, but I don't see how this isn't an obvious foul to everyone.

He took 1 1/2 steps after McCoy released the ball... more than enough time to just shove him or something.

You are not taught to lead with your helmet into the other person's helmet.

MTfrog5

Did you get hit as a defenseless quarterback by a player who has done this repeatedly throughout his career?

Did you get just one concussion or have you had multiple? Because once you get one, the likelihood of getting more increases dramatically and the long-term damages are more likely to occur. Most of the NFLers who get one concussion dont stop there, they will get more and more.

Im all for big hits. But in the right context of the game.

I agree with all of this except that Colt was not defenseless. Colt tucked it and ran until Harrison came over to hit him so at that point he was a runner. Harrison could have easily hit him in the chest though.

Did you get hit as a defenseless quarterback by a player who has done this repeatedly throughout his career?

Did you get just one concussion or have you had multiple? Because once you get one, the likelihood of getting more increases dramatically and the long-term damages are more likely to occur. Most of the NFLers who get one concussion dont stop there, they will get more and more.

Im all for big hits. But in the right context of the game.

I actually was defenseless when I was hit... I was chasing an interception return and their FB/MLB crack back blocked me out of nowhere... I should have known better (Celina is KNOWN for vicious crack back blocks).... helmet to helmet

Blacked out for 15 minutes... later that same season I blacked out for a few seconds after another big hit, but was fine..

geefrogs

When he was growing up and learning to play football I bet he was. It's not an easy thing to change, especially when you are trying to tackle a short player.

And I am sure thousands of other NFLers were too. But he seems to be a repeat offender more than others. Hmmm.....

Kaiser

I'm not going to pretend that Harrison performed a textbook clean hit. However your "defenseless quarterback" comment is part of the problem. McCoy was out of the pocket & a runner, right up until the last second when he decided to throw the ball & make himself defenseless with Harrison 2 feet from him coming at full speed.

Maybe the onus shouldn't be all on the defender. Maybe McCoy should be flagged & fined for a dangerous play. Maybe the NFL should outlaw the pump fake so Harrison can be assured that McCoy was actually going to throw the ball & become defenseless & not have to worry about the run. That way Harrison could've slowed & hugged him gently to the ground instead.

geefrogs

I'm not going to pretend that Harrison performed a textbook clean hit. However your "defenseless quarterback" comment is part of the problem. McCoy was out of the pocket & a runner, right up until the last second when he decided to throw the ball & make himself defenseless with Harrison 2 feet from him coming at full speed.

Maybe the onus shouldn't be all on the defender. Maybe McCoy should be flagged & fined for a dangerous play. Maybe the NFL should outlaw the pump fake so Harrison can be assured that McCoy was actually going to throw the ball & become defenseless & not have to worry about the run. That way Harrison could've slowed & hugged him gently to the ground instead.

are we watching the same video?

pretty sure he was more than 2 feet away....

Kaiser

are we watching the same video?

pretty sure he was more than 2 feet away....

Literary license.

Point being, these plays happen quickly. How much time elapsed from Colt releasing the football until contact was made? I'd guess well under a second.

geefrogs

I get McCoy lowering his head a little bit didnt help his cause, but him lowering his head didnt change the fact that Harrison lead with his crown.

Kaiser

I actually was defenseless when I was hit... I was chasing an interception return and their FB/MLB crack back blocked me out of nowhere... I should have known better (Celina is KNOWN for vicious crack back blocks).... helmet to helmet

Blacked out for 15 minutes... later that same season I blacked out for a few seconds after another big hit, but was fine..

My little brother used to live for that kind of stuff. Heaven help you if you didn't pay attention on special teams.

Used to considered a good football play (ie TCU v Baylor punt return 2010).

DMFWTX

Harrison made a statement to all qb's that want to think about running or holding onto the ball way too long, or when they see Harrison coming at them in the pocket. It just might cause the qb to throw several bad passes. That hit could serve the Steelers well come playoff time.

The only foul on this play is the helmet to helmet, if Harrison was able to react quick enough and get low enough, if he had hit him in the chest, there would be no foul.