• The KillerFrogs

Hoops Thread: Frogs vs Sooners

tetonfrog

Losers cry about the refs. Winners overcome them. We haven’t won a tourney game since 1987. The refs are always going to favor the Sooners, Jayhawks, cowboys, etc. if we can’t handle the refs at home, then how will we win any road games?

We have to play tougher, smarter & with more intensity to win in this league. We did not do this today. No excuses. Just win.

MTfrog5

Damn Refs caused us to miss our free throws

Damn Refs wouldn’t let us get back in transition

Damn Refs made us take bad shots down the stretch
I mean you could blame the refs for our missed free throws. We don’t shoot them well consistently so if they didn’t call as many fouls we wouldn’t have as many missed opportunities...

TCUWIN

His press conference was pretty eye opening. Can tell he’s going to use this as a point to listen to what he’s telling them.
What else was said? I saw a tweet that said a lack of commitment to getting back has been a problem all year. Sometimes loses early in the regular season can be good learning experiences. I hope this doesn't turn into football's equivalent to IsU's loss.

Tom Brown

Teams that drive the ball and take it to the hole get more FT's.
Teams that make more FT's win.
Teams that capitalize on TO's win.

These are why we lost. The poor last shot only mattered because of these.

netty2424

I think that was CJD's point. That was not how the play was drawn up.

One thing that a lot of fans lose sight of is that despite all the practice and teaching and "coaching 'em up" players are still going to make their own decisions. Sometimes they do it exactly as you tell them and you get a great look. Sometimes they feel the pressure and jack up a bad shot despite never doing it in practice.

Folks are quick to blame the coaches for bad play design (I notice it more in football, but I see it in our basketball threads too) without thinking about the fact that sometimes even the players just do the wrong thing.
I'm not knocking the play design as clearly that's not how it was drawn up. Squarely on KW.

Purp

It was the refs fault. Absolutely horrendous phantom calls that single handedly changed the outcome of the game.

You can always say “well should have made more shots.” “Should have played better defense.”

Refs are paid a lot of money to officiate a game fairly and accurately. Will they be perfect? Of course not. But they were so consistently one sided and blatantly wrong in their calls that it literally changed the outcome of a game that should have been a 10+ point win. Absolutely unacceptable and deserves to be called out.

Our team will always have room to improve and do things better. But let’s not blame that on why we lost. TCU was the better team today. Officiate fairly and TCU wins, simple as that.
It wasn't the refs' fault. Were they bad at times? Yes. For both teams. Did they affect the flow of the game with touchy whistles? Absolutely and it affected both teams. Did they seem to assume Young would get fouled before they actually saw a foul? Yep.

But that's a negligible impact on the game compared with the many parts of the game totally within our control. As has been stated several times, we gave up too many easy baskets in transition, did not make free throws at a high enough rate, and didn't play smart basketball down the stretch. That's what's at fault for the loss.

SuperTFrog

I think you’re struggling to differentiate between “the refs are the only reason we lost” and “the refs were one of the reasons we lost.”
this is spot on. Sad that Froglash can’t understand it. To say the refs had zero to do with the loss is ridiculous. To say they are the only reason we lost is equally ridiculous.

In football terms, if you played a game where there we ten missed holding calls and you lost by one after missing a field goal as time expired, you would say the refs weren’t the ONLY reason you lost, but they were a reason. Not that difficult of a concept.

Purp

I think you’re struggling to differentiate between “the refs are the only reason we lost” and “the refs were one of the reasons we lost.”
They may well be one if the reasons we lost, but I wouldn't even put them in the top 10 reasons. Had we won OU could have said the same thing pointing to quite a few examples

OICU812

Horrible ending to the game. Either Fisher or Robinson going the length of the floor would've been a pretty high-percentage play the way the refs were calling fouls.
The refs were bad, but not in a terrible biased way- They were calling it like it was a freaking NBA game, which very obviously favored OU's point guard. I personally don't think an NCAA game should be called that way, but it's up to the coaches to realize it and adjust.
On the bright side, house was packed, and I looked pretty hard and couldn't see more than maybe 200 butts in red. See how nicely that can work, CDC?

Purp

To say they are the only reason we lost is equally ridiculous.
When someone says "it's the refs' fault we lost" they're saying the refs are the primary reason we lost the game. I agree with you that it's a ridiculous assertion. I guess I disagree that froglash is trying to say they weren't a factor at all. Sure they may have played a part. Officials routinely do impact games. But they weren't any more a factor today than they usually are. Especially by B12 standards.

Jackson

Horrible ending to the game. Either Fisher or Robinson going the length of the floor would've been a pretty high-percentage play the way the refs were calling fouls.
The refs were bad, but not in a terrible biased way- They were calling it like it was a freaking NBA game, which very obviously favored OU's point guard. I personally don't think an NCAA game should be called that way, but it's up to the coaches to realize it and adjust.
On the bright side, house was packed, and I looked pretty hard and couldn't see more than maybe 200 butts in red. See how nicely that can work, CDC?
Fisher had a very poor game.....definitely wouldn't have been the right guy to go to on this day. He was 0-5 from the field and didn't draw a offensive foul.....ZERO POINTS!