• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Anyone have experience road tripping through New England? ...Then back towards the coast and into Boston for a day or two before heading home.

I lived in New England (Rhode Island to be specific) for a while. Here are some recommendations for your time in Boston.

Start off by taking one of the "Hop-on-Hop-off" Trolley tours. It will give you an overview of the city (mostly historical sites). If you see something you want to explore for a while, you can "hop off" for a while, then "hop on" a subsequent bus.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Products-g60745-zfc12058-zfg11873-Boston_Massachusetts.html

Walk the Freedom Trail. It's a 2.5 mile trail marked by a red line on the sidewalks/streets. It will take you by 17 historic sites.

http://thefreedomtrail.org/freedom-trail/

Have lunch at the Cheers bar. Yes, it's touristy, but the food is actually quite good.

https://cheersboston.com/

After lunch, walk through the Boston Common--the original home of free speech and public assembly. You'll see/hear folks making speeches on all sorts of topics. It's America's original "general board."

https://www.boston.gov/parks/boston-common

Drive south and visit the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library. Not as big as most modern presidential libraries, but still worth the time.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/

You can keep driving south on Rt 3 (Southeast Expressway) and see Plymouth Rock.

If I was doing the trip, I would spend less time in NY, Maine, NH and western Mass to allow a trip to Cape Cod (drive all the way to the end at Provincetown), and then south to Newport, Rhode Island to take a sailboat ride and visit mansion row.

https://www.capecodchamber.org/

https://www.discovernewport.org/

What to eat in Boston: clam chowder and lobster rolls. You can also get both at roadside stands on Rt 3.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Postscript for phormer regarding your proposed New England vacation:

Do your research before you make the trip to New England about the problem with tick-borne diseases in that region.

I have several HS classmates who've contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite. One of my best friends is now confined to a home due to early onset dementia from undiagnosed Lyme disease he contracted while doing survey work in the Mass/Rhode Island region.

Postscript for phormer regarding your proposed New England vacation:

Do your research before you make the trip to New England about the problem with tick-borne diseases in that region.

I have several HS classmates who've contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite. One of my best friends is now confined to a home due to early onset dementia from undiagnosed Lyme disease he contracted while doing survey work in the Mass/Rhode Island region.

The Lord loves a workin man. Don't trust whitey. See a doctor get rid of it. Got it!

Last edited:

SnoSki

Need your wisdom..

Got a voicemail this morning from a guy I haven’t seen in person or spoken to (on the phone or even online) since I was about 16. I’m 30 now.

He left a VM because I didn’t have his number saved.

The VM said, “hey [snoski] this is [john doe] with the Ag-Con Team. I’d like to catch up for a second if you have the chance. Give me a call at [number].”

Normally I don’t mind talking to anyone but I’d like to avoid the call if he’s just going to try to sell me some sort of multi-level marketing/Plexus/Pink Drink/Advocare/Essential Oil stuff. Anyone ever heard of “ag-con” or why there might be a team?

Google only yielding a farming convention in Vegas.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Need your wisdom..

Got a voicemail this morning from a guy I haven’t seen in person or spoken to (on the phone or even online) since I was about 16. I’m 30 now.

The VM said, “hey [snoski] this is [john doe] with the Ag-Con Team. I’d like to catch up for a second if you have the chance. Give me a call at [number].”

Normally I don’t mind talking to anyone but I’d like to avoid the call if he’s just going to try to sell me some sort of multi-level marketing/Plexus/Pink Drink/Advocare/Essential Oil stuff. Anyone ever heard of “ag-con” or why there might be a team?

Sounds like one of the John Deere multi-outlet farm machinery corps. Maybe like this?
http://www.ag-procompanies.com/

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Need your wisdom..

Isn't that the nickname for the Texas A&M football squad?

netty2424

Need your wisdom..

Maybe he saw the chickens on your IG and thought he could sell you a hay baler or something.

Frog-in-law1995

Per our google overlord, it’s a group that hosts a yearly convention and tries to draw exhibitors in the indoor agriculture industry (I guess like hydroponics and such) to buy booth space from them. Maybe he wants you to play. Or, just spitballing here, maybe you smoked a lot of pot at 16 and he thinks you might be “in the biz?”

Tom Brown

Per our google overlord, it’s a group that hosts a yearly convention and tries to draw exhibitors in the indoor agriculture industry (I guess like hydroponics and such) to buy booth space from them. Maybe he wants you to play. Or, just spitballing here, maybe you smoked a lot of pot at 16 and he thinks you might be “in the biz?”
or he thinks you might play there

Mean Purple

Frog friend of mine ordered me a CD of Ned LeDoux. (Son of the late Chris LeDoux).
We saw him in Vegs at the finals and the guy looked and sounded so much like his dad it was almost haunting in a good way. We had heard him sing about two songs at some events out there, but this is the first time I have had to listen to the whole release.
If you are into good country (ranch/rodeo) music, it's good stuff. He has his own work on there. But I think there are some songs he may have pulled from the vault that his dad was working on before passing away. CD is titled Sagebrush.

I plan to check out Chancey Williams next. Got to hear quite a few acts in December out there that don't get played to much in this area.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Any of you been to Steamboat? Advice on best skiing, bars, restaurants and bars again? Staying in town not at base.

Just got here - 30 degrees and sunny. Going to be low 40's for skiing tomorrow. I'm ok with that weather.

Stayed in Steamboat for a weekend during late summer a few years ago while I was working as a landman on a project in the Nebraska panhandle.

Had awesome breakfast/brunch at Creekside Cafe. Kinda small dining area so could be a wait. Allegedly have the best bloody Marys in town.

Want to go back and ski Steamboat someday - love that town. I’m jelly.

F19051F4-1623-4145-8E2F-74448E809A34.gif

Last edited: