• The KillerFrogs

Great ESPN article on GP...

Gary defines the program and its goals/mission, etc. here. At the large state universities, those things are set by forces beyond the rank of head coach. It's very rare that the leader of an organization gets what GP has at TCU unless it's a family business. That's the reason he has stayed and will retire from here, IMO.

Punter1

Saban stays at Bama for the same reason. Boosters leave him alone...they know the drill.

Not gonna mention any names but GP is VERY close with some very influential, highly successful alumni who happen to be former players who know to not meddle in the program.

ShreveFrog

The Big XII invite didn't come until late in 2011, after our Fiesta and Rose Bowl seasons. Amazing we were able to hang on to Coach P during that window. Maybe the stadium reno was the bridge we needed. I doubt the "move" to the Big East was.

Also, I'm sorry to know that Mr. Parrish has passed away. At least he got to see his wish come true.

W

Way of the Frog

Scary to think where TCU might be if big schools had jumped on GP before moving to the Big 12. And Schloss for that matter

th

Mean Purple

Good read. To an extent, same thing many of us need to think about with careers.

Two things to keep in mind:

A. a national title is not worth selling your soul for. I like the set up TCU has. School steps in and takes over on serious issues with the student ath.
This gives Patterson protection from any over the top boosters. We can play by the rules and remember the other part of all this; the development of the student as a person.

B: (and this helps A) There is sound reasoning in placing as much value on a conference championship as an invite to the college football invitational. Winning the league where you play every other team and everyone is used to seeing each team year in year out. Shows how good the coach is.

Frogo

“It’s sort of like the old Garth Brooks song. Sometimes the best prayers are unanswered prayers,” Patterson said.

That makes me think we were too close to losing GP to one of them (Nebraska or Tennessee) that I care tho think about.

Mean Purple

“It’s sort of like the old Garth Brooks song. Sometimes the best prayers are unanswered prayers,” Patterson said.

That makes me think we were too close to losing GP to one of them (Nebraska or Tennessee) that I care tho think about.
Makes me think Patterson's plan for when he retires in 20 years is to tale his music act on the road. At which time I will buy an rv and spend my free time hammered in parking lots before the show.

frogs9497

I’ve thought about this quote as well. “Unanswered prayers”... does make you wonder. I should probably know better than to attempt interpreting or reading into some of what CGP says.