• The KillerFrogs

Great ESPN article on GP...

Uncle_Frog

"I like being somewhere that I can really get to know the boosters and let them know how appreciative I am for their commitment to this program, but I also want them to know that just because they're making that kind of investment doesn't mean they're going to have a stake in my program," Patterson said

This is why we all love Gary as he wants a personal touch in the program, but it is his program and no one is going to get in the way of that. Not many coaches in CFB have the opportunity to run their programs like that these days.

Really good article. We have been so lucky to have had Coach P as long as we have. I really don’t see a scenario where he leaves but you never know that is why I never take him for granted.

Purp

"I like being somewhere that I can really get to know the boosters and let them know how appreciative I am for their commitment to this program, but I also want them to know that just because they're making that kind of investment doesn't mean they're going to have a stake in my program," Patterson said

This is why we all love Gary as he wants a personal touch in the program, but it is his program and no one is going to get in the way of that. Not many coaches in CFB have the opportunity to run their programs like that these days.
I was going to post the same quote. This statement is the reason I think CGP is a pipe dream for aTm. Do you really think he could tell boosters the same thing there and get the same reaction? TCU is very unique in this regard and, honestly, I think it has more to do with the fact that Gary has built the political capital here for them to accept such a comment from him.

I don't think our boosters would accept it from most other coaches in America and I don't think most other boosters in America would accept it from GP either if they were to hire him. He's been through the crucible at TCU and earned his stripes here and it's virtually impossible for any flagship program to replicate for him what he has with us.

robbroyy

Why isn't 2008 Kansas State mentioned in here? Didn't he accept the job after the Utah game on the condition the donors kept quiet and let him coach in the bowl game?

Dogfrog

I was going to post the same quote. This statement is the reason I think CGP is a pipe dream for aTm. Do you really think he could tell boosters the same thing there and get the same reaction? TCU is very unique in this regard and, honestly, I think it has more to do with the fact that Gary has built the political capital here for them to accept such a comment from him.

I don't think our boosters would accept it from most other coaches in America and I don't think most other boosters in America would accept it from GP either if they were to hire him. He's been through the crucible at TCU and earned his stripes here and it's virtually impossible for any flagship program to replicate for him what he has with us.

Yea, there is a class of donors across all blue blood programs who will never believe you can't buy success. Their egos dont allow them to credit a coach above their donations. Is there a greater rags to riches head coach in the modern era?

Austintxfrog94

It's also why him taking the A&M job (and the like) is humorous. Too many folks want to stick their hand in the mix because they gave money.