• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Kansas State

cdsfrog

Todd D. said:
If you give me two 2014/2015's for every 2016 and I'll take that every single time.

Patterson has earned a long leash. Anyone throwing these types of predictions around after one .500 year is beyond insane and forgets exactly where we were before him.
No doubt. He can be have multiple more years like this. Just wish he wasn't so stubbornly loyal to very poorly performing coaches

CountryFrog

Hoosierfrog said:
Okay, who filled the oother 40,000 seats?
You really don't have to be a math major to understand that 32,000 students also creates a LOT more alumni, family and friends of alumni, etc as opposed to a very small private school with a quarter number of students. That's who fills the other 40,000 seats.

Now, that doesn't mean that today's showing by the fans wasn't pathetic because it absolutely was. I can't for the life of me understand why there are soooo many people who buy tickets with zero intention of going to the games. But there's no denying that having a really small school creates a much smaller fan base. Not to mention the fact that the school is right in the middle of a pro sports market with an endless variety of other entertainment options.

rifram09

Attendance was very bad today. Dangerously bad. That lack of support will kill our program if it continues.

And don't tell me about state schools having more people. That's obvious, and that is why we have one of the smallest stadium in the B12 and we are well below the median stadium size in the P5. When we're good, fans show out and fill up our stadium. 45-50k is on the high end.

The problem with TCU attendance is that fans only show up when we're winning. We need to have a higher floor. Today, there probably weren't more than 25k there, and that's generous. We can and must do better, or it's going to kill recruiting and impede our ability to land a top coach when Patterson leaves.

kidkarr

full house frog said:
It wasn't near as bad as I think it was supposed to be. My hands got cold but I forgot my warm gloves. You just knew people weren't going to be there.
I looked on stub hub just for grins. Pretty good seats going for $6. Yeah. Knew it would be bad.

CountryFrog

Hoosierfrog said:
They have massively bigger stadiums too.
An enrollment that's 4X bigger with a stadium that's less than 2X larger. Us filling our stadium would be proportionate to South Carolina filling a stadium of about 175,000 people. It's not an excuse, our fans need to be better, but it's absolutely more difficult for a smaller school. This isn't debatable. It's only the most obvious thing in the world.

kidkarr

AroundWorldFrog said:
Wow, Gary being a whiny little witch in his press conference about the fans. Put a better (mating between Steel & 2314) product on the field if you don't like it. His biggest fault. He can't take criticism.

https://twitter.com/TCU_Rivals/status/805154276729323522

https://twitter.com/TCU_Rivals/status/805155184657764352

Edit. Sure I'll get flamed, but he needs to worry about what he puts on the filed.
I think a great deal of this is on the administration. I'll get flamed, but alums and local die heads would almost always fill the old CARTER lower "prime" sections. Those folks were displaced and then asked to pay a much higher price for far worse seats, and we lost a number of those "fans". Bottom line! +4 was a disaster in most ways except money.

kidkarr

AroundWorldFrog said:
Wow, Gary being a whiny little witch in his press conference about the fans. Put a better (mating between Steel & 2314) product on the field if you don't like it. His biggest fault. He can't take criticism.

https://twitter.com/TCU_Rivals/status/805154276729323522

https://twitter.com/TCU_Rivals/status/805155184657764352

Edit. Sure I'll get flamed, but he needs to worry about what he puts on the filed.
I think a great deal of this is on the administration. I'll get flamed, but alums and local die heads would almost always fill the old CARTER lower "prime" sections. Those folks were displaced and then asked to pay a much higher price for far worse seats, and we lost a number of those "fans". Bottom line! +4 was a disaster in most ways except money.

Wexahu

CountryFrog said:
You really don't have to be a math major to understand that 32,000 students also creates a LOT more alumni, family and friends of alumni, etc as opposed to a very small private school with a quarter number of students. That's who fills the other 40,000 seats.

Now, that doesn't mean that today's showing by the fans wasn't pathetic because it absolutely was. I can't for the life of me understand why there are soooo many people who buy tickets with zero intention of going to the games. But there's no denying that having a really small school creates a much smaller fan base. Not to mention the fact that the school is right in the middle of a pro sports market with an endless variety of other entertainment options.
There are a lot of rich alumni that just buy tickets as a way of supporting the university, it has nothing to do with a desire to attend a football game. It's not only that they don't go, it's that they never planned on going in the first place.

It's part of the problem of being a small, RICH private school. Rich people waste money all the time buying stuff they hardly ever use. And those lower sections are filled with nothing but rich people.

CountryFrog

Jerome K said:
+4 is a contributing factor for sure and it shouldn't have been done in my opinion but there were plenty of seats for sale pretty cheap on stub hub that no Frog fans had much interest in.

The weather, opponent, time, and TCU's struggles also played a part. There are lots of KSU fans in this area who also didn't care to buy cheap seats to see the game.

Wexahu

Rifram09 said:
Attendance was very bad today. Dangerously bad. That lack of support will kill our program if it continues.

And don't tell me about state schools having more people. That's obvious, and that is why we have one of the smallest stadium in the B12 and we are well below the median stadium size in the P5. When we're good, fans show out and fill up our stadium. 45-50k is on the high end.

The problem with TCU attendance is that fans only show up when we're winning. We need to have a higher floor. Today, there probably weren't more than 25k there, and that's generous. We can and must do better, or it's going to kill recruiting and impede our ability to land a top coach when Patterson leaves.
I would guess 10k were there. It wasn't close to being half full. Not even close.

CountryFrog

Wexahu said:
There are a lot of rich alumni that just buy tickets as a way of supporting the university, it has nothing to do with a desire to attend a football game. It's not only that they don't go, it's that they never planned on going in the first place.

It's part of the problem of being a small, RICH private school. Rich people waste money all the time buying stuff they hardly ever use. And those lower sections are filled with nothing but rich people.
Right, I should've clarified. I understand what you're saying and that some people just want to sell tickets, while still others simply want to tailgate and/or socialize.

So I understand the reasons those people have, I just don't understand why those reasons add up to "let's buy more tickets" in their minds.

But that's just a small part of the problem today. A struggling team is the much bigger issue.

TCUWIN

frognutz said:
So is my count correct?  Refs have picked up 4 flags against Kstate and reversed 2 rulings on the field against TCU?
I'll pay the dang fine if Patterson will freaking blast these dang officials in this conference. Stoops whines and gets calls. We get screwed all the time.

Mean Purple

Sorry, but Patterson can zip it with the whining. Put a better product on the field and then the crowds come. That's the same everywhere. He's paid a lot. So is Meach. They have no excuse for that Crap show today...and most of the season. Every defense know we throw on first down.

And the drops are because there are too many rcvrs being played. Ones who catch the ball don't see it again. So there is no constant action for them to grow on.

And for those who say Patterson has a long leash and then try to justify it by pointing what it was like before him...we were like that because people were to accepting of bad ball back then. It just produces years of bad ball. We had been a big time program lately. So there is no leash.

frognutz

Jerome K said:

Not flaming, but are we seriously discussing specific sections being filled/not filled back in the good 'ole days of a half empty stadium?

The fickleness of the modern TCU fan won't ever be solved.  We're up to a $225K/$255K degree now (whatever the exact number is).  It would be more concerning to me if those folks didn't support the university athletics financially when they have the ability to do so.

Not sure anyone is wanting to go back to the days of a half full stadium with half the seats paid for versus the current situation.

I scheissing hate money and the things people are willing to do to others to get it, but my thoughts on trading it for a neck massage and [ profanity ] currency system doesn't seem to be gaining any traction.

Moose Stuff

Not at all worried about attendance moving forward. If we win people will show up. If we don't they won't. Fairly common problem across all sports and in all parts of the world. -

kidkarr

CountryFrog said:
+4 is a contributing factor for sure and it shouldn't have been done in my opinion but there were plenty of seats for sale pretty cheap on stub hub that no Frog fans had much interest in.

The weather, opponent, time, and TCU's struggles also played a part. There are lots of KSU fans in this area who also didn't care to buy cheap seats to see the game.
I agree, my main point was that we lost some loyal locals that supported through the bad times and then got the boot on their seat locations and just punted on the frogs altogether. When they had season seats, they were more vested.