• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Logo will no longer come with Frog attached

froghair

The arched TCU is much more of our traditional look than the chubby Frog logo. It's not like the Frog logo has been around since the 30's, and we're ditching it to appease Nike.

We're going towards a more timeless/classic look

Now, if we were going to Dino-Frog, you might have a point

It's not like the arched TCU has been around since the 30's. Maybe the 1990's

Ron Swanson

It's not like the arched TCU has been around since the 30's. Maybe the 1990's

Still, the arched TCU has a classic look to it, and has the potential to become our iconic logo. It will stand the test of time, while the chubby Frog will look dated over the years (many think it already does)

Dogfrog

What happens when someone get's tired of Frog Fountain on campus and wants to replace it with a hot tub because the Jacuzzi CEO sends his daughter or son to TCU... or Texas Christian University... or the University formerly known as "The Horned Frogs" ? (someone better inform them that we don't do or sell drugs on this campus now before they decide to come here...).
We're all just retailing whores and sell out too Nike, or whoever comes along with a "better" idea and money hanging out of their pockets. Forget Tradition; that's oldschool. Maybe we ought to make Mr. Clean our new mascot now that we have broken up the Ft Worth drug cartel.

Yea, who is the idiot who came up with the idea of changing our name from Add Ran College?

Deep Purple

The arched TCU is much more of our traditional look than the chubby Frog logo. It's not like the Frog logo has been around since the 30's

Neither has the arched TCU. It was adopted in 1992, only six ears before the Frog logo. That doesn't exactly give it a commanding edge in claim to TCU tradition when you consider that the football program is 106 years old. In fact, any argument you can make for ditching the Frog on the basis of lack of tradition applies equally to the arched TCU logo.

Ron Swanson

Neither has the arched TCU. It was adopted in 1992, only six ears before the Frog logo. That doesn't exactly give it a commanding edge in claim to TCU tradition when you consider that the football program is 106 years old. In fact, any argument you can make for ditching the Frog on the basis of lack of tradition applies equally to the arched TCU logo.

That has already been stated in this thread, and this was my response....

Still, the arched TCU has a classic look to it, and has the potential to become our iconic logo. It will stand the test of time, while the chubby Frog will look dated over the years (many think it already does)

And my point wasn't that the arched TCU is a lot older than the chubby Frog, it was that it's not like TCU is selling out to Nike in order to make a quick buck. We're not adopting some crazy new logo just to sell more merchandise, we're dropping the mascot aspect of our logo and going with the current part of our logo that has the more classic look.

Deep Purple

And my point wasn't that the arched TCU is a lot older than the chubby Frog, it was that it's not like TCU is selling out to Nike in order to make a quick buck. We're not adopting some crazy new logo just to sell more merchandise, we're dropping the mascot aspect of our logo and going with the current part of our logo that has the more classic look.

That's pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy. I mean logos aren't fated or predestined for failure or success. Whatever logo you use and promote is going become your iconic logo -- with or without the Frog. How else do you suppose LSU came to be identified with such an ugly logo as this?

download__32_%5B1%5D.png

See? If you use it and stick with it, even an ugly logo can become iconic. How much better to do it with a great logo:

logo.jpg

Ron Swanson

That's pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy. I mean logos aren't fated or predestined for failure or success. Whatever logo you use and promote is going become your iconic logo -- with or without the Frog. How else do you suppose LSU came to be identified with such an ugly logo as this?

download__32_%5B1%5D.png

See? If you use it and stick with it, even an ugly logo can become iconic. How much better to do it with a great logo:

logo.jpg

The chubby Frog isn't great though, it's a corny inaccurate rendering of the animal we chose as our mascot. We as fans have an emotional attachment to it, because it's our corny inaccurate rendering, but we're better of without it, IMO.... and apparently the opinion of the TCU leadership (who, I might add, have done a pretty good job on making decisions so far).

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the current Frog or anything, I have a bunch of merchandise with it on there in fact. I like the Frog in the same kind of way you love your goofy cousin. I can make fun of it and so can other TCU fans, just like how me and my family members can make fun of my goofy cousin, but no one outside of my family can make fun of him or I get pissed.

I don't mind the Frog being on merchandise or on our uniforms occasionally, but I don't want it on our official logo, just like I don't want a picture of my goofy cousin on our family crest.

I feel like I phrased that analogy poorly, but I think you get the idea

Deep Purple

The chubby Frog isn't great though

In your opinion. Others see it differently. It's a matter of perspective, so there's no need to speak as if it were self-evident.

it's a corny inaccurate rendering of the animal we chose as our mascot.

Again, "corny" is not self-evidenced, it's a matter of opinion. As for inaccurate, any graphical representation is going to be inaccurate because every graphical representation is stylized to a degree. That's why I have to chuckle when I see critics refer to the "cartoon frog." Every graphical representation is a cartoon. Even the representations you love. The only truly accurate representation is a photograph.

So enough with the lame rationalizations. Just be honest. "I want the TCU without the Frog because that is better suited to my personal taste, and I want my preferences to prevail over those of others who see it differently."

Ron Swanson

In your opinion. Others see it differently. It's a matter of perspective, so there's no need to speak as if it were self-evident.

So enough with the lame rationalizations. Just be honest. "I want the TCU without the Frog because that is better suited to my personal taste, and I want my preferences to prevail over those of others who see it differently."

Obviously it's a personal opinion, everything in regards to this subject is a personal opinion. But in my post I went on to explain the reason for my personal opinion, and why I felt that way. You simply dismissed that aspect of my post and simplified it to me just standing in a corner and pouting unless I get my way.

But it's not only my personal opinion, it's the opinion of TCU as well.

In MY OPINION, you have a strong emotional attachment to the chubby Frog, and you can't see it for what it really is.

As for inaccurate, any graphical representation is going to be inaccurate because every graphical representation is stylized to a degree. That's why I have to chuckle when I see critics refer to the "cartoon frog." Every graphical representation is a cartoon. Even the representations you love. The only truly accurate representation is a photograph.

Here goes Deep being super-literal again. When I say "inaccurate", I don't mean "that is not a 100% accurate representation of the Texas Horned Lizard, anything but a photo won't do", I actually mean "it looks nothing like a bleeping Horny Toad".

I assume you knew that's what I meant, but in an attempt to discredit my reasoning in order to make me look stupid and bolster your argument, you make a ridiculous straw man to tear down.

Pretty standard Deep Purple arguing

dweller

The chubby Frog isn't great though, it's a corny inaccurate rendering of the animal we chose as our mascot. We as fans have an emotional attachment to it, because it's our corny inaccurate rendering, but we're better of without it, IMO.... and apparently the opinion of the TCU leadership (who, I might add, have done a pretty good job on making decisions so far).

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the current Frog or anything, I have a bunch of merchandise with it on there in fact. I like the Frog in the same kind of way you love your goofy cousin. I can make fun of it and so can other TCU fans, just like how me and my family members can make fun of my goofy cousin, but no one outside of my family can make fun of him or I get pissed.

I don't mind the Frog being on merchandise or on our uniforms occasionally, but I don't want it on our official logo, just like I don't want a picture of my goofy cousin on our family crest.

I feel like I phrased that analogy poorly, but I think you get the idea

I like the corny inaccurate frog, it has more character than just the Arched TCU. But then I like to sit and watch the game too.

peacock

the arched TCU with frog attached=Winning! pure and simple.....losing programs change logos and uniforms, just like we did during the 70s 80s and 90s... We finally found a look that is successful and distinctive and for some unknown reason we want to mess with it .nobody otherthen the consultants(ie Nike) complaining about it

I must give CDC credit for ditching the Komodo dragon and going against Nike wishes and wearing our traditional look in the Rose Bowl at least he takes what we are saying to heart

Deep Purple

But it's not only my personal opinion, it's the opinion of TCU as well.

Um, last I checked, TCU had decided to keep the Frog. So it seems they think it's okay after all. Frankly, if not for Nike, I doubt they would have ever considered replacing it. Might have simplified it a bit for embroidery purposes, but the same basic Frog.

In MY OPINION, you have a strong emotional attachment to the chubby Frog, and you can't see it for what it really is.

Well, everybody's entitled to HIS OPINION. Truth is, I have no strong attachment to the current Frog. If somebody can come up with a better-looking one, I'm game, but I haven't seen that yet.

I do have a strong attachment to the TCU-Frog combination logo -- whatever the Frog looks like. Arched TCU by itself is just too vanilla and plain-Jane. More than half the teams in college football have just the school letters on the helmet. "TCU: Just the Same as Everybody Else" is not my idea of distinctive branding. The combination logo set us apart as far as appearance goes -- not just another face in the crowd.

Here goes Deep being super-literal again.

Translation of "super-literal": There goes Deep taking my words at face value again. Dumbass couldn't even figure out the secret encoded meaning hidden within.

When I say "inaccurate", I don't mean "that is not a 100% accurate representation of the Texas Horned Lizard, anything but a photo won't do", I actually mean "it looks nothing like a bleeping Horny Toad".

Really?

frogso.jpg

Keeping in mind we're comparing a photo to a stylized graphical representation, I'd say the resemblance is easily detectable. Not saying we couldn't get a better Frog logo -- just saying it simply isn't true that "it looks nothing like a bleeping Horny Toad."

I assume you knew that's what I meant, but in an attempt to discredit my reasoning in order to make me look stupid and bolster your argument, you make a ridiculous straw man to tear down.

You assume wrong. Had no idea you intended, "Look, pay attention to what I meant, not what I actually said." Stupid of me, I know.

Pretty standard Deep Purple arguing

Pretty standard response by someone who's floundering: Attack the man instead of his argument.

P

purplePPO

The Frog logo is NOT traditional!! The simple lettering of TCU is !!! It is what most people outside of the university and the state of Texas know of us! The Frog logo with the Rose in it's mouth was great in the Rose Bowl. That cannot be replicated. It will be cherished forever. The Frog is NOT the symbol of our university, TCU is!!!!! Go Frogs!!

Deep Purple

The Frog logo is NOT traditional!! The simple lettering of TCU is !!!

Wrong. Better brush up on your TCU history. The two logos were adopted within six years of each other -- which is nothing in the span of a 106-year-old football program. People may know the TCU name, but that isn't the same as knowing the logo.

Horned Toad

Deep I love the photo/cartoon Frog side-by-side comparison. It proves you can show some people the sky is blue and they'll argue for some other color. Other than a couple of persistent posters on this site I don't know one single Frog fan who doesn't like the Frog. Not one.

It's incredible the amount of flack the administration took before the Rose Bowl and how they finally caved to the fans wishes and came up with such a wonderful solution that everyone loved. This should have been the end of the discussion yet here the administration is once again showing their hubris by insisting they know what's best for the fans that we really shouldn't like that little Frog so much so we'll push it to the sideline and eventually out the back door. That's evidenced by the fact that you can have the Frog but not with the arched logo. Why the hell not and why does their combination matter? I guess we are all supposed say "yeah that's logical...that makes sense?

froghair

And in my opinion, you do not see the Frog for what it really is. The symbol of our football rebirth and sustained success. I all fairness you probably weren't around for the bad times so you wouldn't appreciate the symbolism.

Kaiser

Arched TCU = good
Frog = bad
Purple & black = good

Im just not a fan of cartoony animal logos. Havent been since i was 7. That's my opinion.

Nike, TCU, CGP, and the other sports semm to agree (or at least not object).