• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Logo will no longer come with Frog attached

P

purplePPO

Wrong. Better brush up on your TCU history. The two logos were adopted within six years of each other -- which is nothing in the span of a 106-year-old football program. People may know the TCU name, but that isn't the same as knowing the logo.

I think you better brush up on your history! Where was the Frog logo in the sixties? There was TCU lettering on the helmets and NO frog! The TCU brand has been around much longer than a cartoonish Frog. Get your history straight!!

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Arched TCU = good
Frog = bad
Purple & black = good

Im just not a fan of cartoony animal logos. Havent been since i was 7. That's my opinion.

Nike, TCU, CGP, and the other sports semm to agree (or at least not object).
Oh, you spoke to Coach Patterson about this? The only thing I seem to remember him saying (via the press) was he likes the Frog, they win with the Frog. I imagine that if he wants the Frog anywhere near his team, it will be there.

Deep Purple

Arched TCU = good
Frog = bad
Purple & black = good

Im just not a fan of cartoony animal logos. Havent been since i was 7. That's my opinion.

Nike, TCU, CGP, and the other sports semm to agree (or at least not object).

No evidence that CGP agrees or even that he doesn't object, although it's likely he doesn't.

Question: Is it just the current Frog you object to, or the TCU-Frog combo? In other words, would you prefer the combo logo if it included a Frog more to your liking?

Deep Purple

I think you better brush up on your history! Where was the Frog logo in the sixties? There was TCU lettering on the helmets and NO frog! The TCU brand has been around much longer than a cartoonish Frog. Get your history straight!!

Your history is wrong and you misunderstand what a brand is. The letters T-C-U are not a brand or logo, and TCU doesn't have any trademark on them. Anybody can use those letters. TCU's trademark is on the particular graphic representation of those letters that TCU registers as its brand. Currently that is the arched TCU. That logo has only been around since 1992 and is only a few years older than the current Frog logo.

No Frog in the sixties? Here's a TCU helmet from 1965. Note the Frog:

tcu65.jpg

And here's a TCU helmet from 1966. Note the Frog:

tcu66.jpg

I admire your passion, but I do have my history straight. Incidentally, from 1896 to 1964, there was no TCU on the helmets either -- just a number or a stripe or nothing at all.

froghair

http://swchelmets.tripod.com/tcu.html

Have a look at the TCU helmets over the years. No helmet stickers for several years then numbers appeared. In 1965 walla, a cartoon frog with TCU and in '66 another frog but no TCU. Then we had cTu, Cascading TCU, flying TCU. In 1992 we have the debut of arched TCU. Finally, in 1998 we have arched TCU and the venerable frog. Here is a quote from the website regarding that helmet:
"Perhaps the best looking TCU helmet in the modern era was instituted under Coach Dennis Francione. Could be a classic look, with the horned frog added to the side for the first time since the early 1960s. A purple facemask would probably look better (what's with the black fixation?), but overall, a GREAT looking helmet." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Kaiser

Oh, you spoke to Coach Patterson about this? The only thing I seem to remember him saying (via the press) was he likes the Frog, they win with the Frog. I imagine that if he wants the Frog anywhere near his team, it will be there.

Really no offense meant, but I think this is the lamest argument ever. He used it as a motivational gimmick last year on a young team. (just my opinion). But I have no doubt, that if CGP really wanted the frog on our helmet every game, then we would (and i wouldnt complain... Too much :wink: ). The man has kept us black & purple and our roadies all white. Are you saying CGP is so weak as to not control our helmets?

I think the unis & the way they are chosen each game are up to him. He is God, JC & the holy spirit of TCU football. The frog isn't getting phased out without his blessing or tacit agreement. I think at the end of the day, CGP acts and functions like a grown man with the best interest of TCU at heart.

Edit: just realized a lot of my argument was straw man & against general stuff that you hadn't said in your specific post I had quoted. Apologies for that. :)

Kaiser

No evidence that CGP agrees or even that he doesn't object, although it's likely he doesn't.

Question: Is it just the current Frog you object to, or the TCU-Frog combo? In other words, would you prefer the combo logo if it included a Frog more to your liking?

To fully explain, personally, I don't love the frog. I think it's okay. I like it better than most all of our other frog logos and im glad dino-frog didnt take over.

I just massively prefer the TCU standalone logo. I think it has the potential to be a timeless look and I especially like that the standalone TCU can be our logo across all sports. If we had gone Dino-frog with the TCU combo I'd be organizing the Molotov cocktail brigade. I think both steroid frog & arch TCU & purple & black are symbols of our current success & I'd like to keep all 3. I just agree with the frog-TCU separation.

I can't remember our baseball team with combo hats & apply the same to soccer jerseys etc etc.

But hey, if CGP, ever decides to add the frog again after a loss to Kansas I won't complain. I just see TCU across our upper deck & think it's more powerful & classic. (I also noticed I don't own a single hat with the combo look). Just my preference & opinion. I also think we should add black as a school color (just to make it official) and think our road uni style is perfect.

PurpleBlood87

http://swchelmets.tripod.com/tcu.html

Have a look at the TCU helmets over the years. No helmet stickers for several years then numbers appeared. In 1965 walla, a cartoon frog with TCU and in '66 another frog but no TCU. Then we had cTu, Cascading TCU, flying TCU. In 1992 we have the debut of arched TCU. Finally, in 1998 we have arched TCU and the venerable frog. Here is a quote from the website regarding that helmet:
"Perhaps the best looking TCU helmet in the modern era was instituted under Coach Dennis Francione. Could be a classic look, with the horned frog added to the side for the first time since the early 1960s. A purple facemask would probably look better (what's with the black fixation?), but overall, a GREAT looking helmet." I couldn't have said it better myself.
What is walla?

I like the Frog but I'm not going to go apoplectic if it's not on the helmet. My problem is all the black and gray we've incorporated the last few years. I'm not a fan of either color, I can't understand why we only use white in our road unis.

I'm old but I love purple and white.

SuperToad

I like the Frog but I'm not going to go apoplectic if it's not on the helmet. My problem is all the black and gray we've incorporated the last few years. I'm not a fan of either color, I can't understand why we only use white in our road unis.

I'm old but I love purple and white.

TCU has used black for much over a decade. So I don't see your point in hating black. And you haven't even seen the grey used on the field yet. Give it a chance. Our away uni's couldn't get much whiter anyways.