• The KillerFrogs

Final 2018 AP Top 25

Zubaz

I was told that TCU couldn't hang with the big boys once they made a P5 conference. Funny how a lot of that smack talk has vanished...
That narrative's changed. Now instead of "They can't compete", it's "It was a mistake to bring them in and elevate them, they win games but don't bring any fans and hurt the conference by taking wins from us revenue-generating teams like Texas Tech. In the next round, we should kick them to the curb."

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
They went 10-2 in the regular season with the losses both coming on the road (to teams with the same mascot as them) to the ACC Champ and playoff team and to LSU, a bowl team. In the regular season they also beat the #1 and #2 teams in the country that played for the national championship.

That’s basically TCU’s regular season record but with wins over #1 and #2 instead of OSU and WVU. OU=Clemson and ISU=LSU. Auburn is clearly a top 10 team.

They don’t become a not top 10 team because they lost the SEC Championship rematch and lost a close bowl game to a 13-0 team that had a whole lot more to play for.
But they also lost to Georgia 28-7 in the SEC championship and to UCF in the Peach Bowl 34-27.

I completely understand where your logic is coming, but it's just an underlying issue with the ever shifting criteria in college football rankings. When is a loss counted as a bad data point? For which teams does a loss count against them in the rankings?

TxFrog1999

That narrative's changed. Now instead of "They can't compete", it's "It was a mistake to bring them in and elevate them, they win games but don't bring any fans and hurt the conference by taking wins from us revenue-generating teams like Texas Tech. In the next round, we should kick them to the curb."
Well if Texas Tech wasn't such a crap place for visiting fans we'd bring more purple.

TxFrog1999

Let us all not forget that in six short years TCU has had more success than most Big 12 teams have had in 22.

What's up Tech? How you doing Baylor? Go darn yourselves.
Don't leave Kansas, KState, ISU, A&M (formerly), Colorado (formerly), and Mizzou (formerly) off your list.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Don't leave Kansas, KState, ISU, A&M (formerly), Colorado (formerly), and Mizzou (formerly) off your list.
KState has arguably had more successful seasons than us in total numbers but not as a percentage of seasons played. I give them a pass. The other teams don't annoy me like Tech and Baylor. Except Aggy. They are irrelevant in football so I ignore them.

Hey Aggy - you didn't win a championship last night and TCU has a better program. Enjoy your day. And your sheepwife.

Wexahu

I think the fact that the AP has voted us the highest-rated 3-loss team in the country is flying under the radar a bit. I'd venture to say we haven't been the highest-rated 1-loss, 2-loss, 3-loss or 4-loss team in oh, I don't know, 75 years. Which means its basically NEVER happened.

We're no longer the poor little guy that doesn't get any respect. People think we're pretty good.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I think the fact that the AP has voted us the highest-rated 3-loss team in the country is flying under the radar a bit. I'd venture to say we haven't been the highest-rated 1-loss, 2-loss, 3-loss or 4-loss team in oh, I don't know, 75 years. Which means its basically NEVER happened.

We're no longer the poor little guy that doesn't get any respect. People think we're pretty good.
I agree. These rankings are well done IMO and we should, as a fan base, recognize that we aren't being disrespected in any way. It would have been easy to put any of the next four teams ahead of us on name brand alone. But they didn't. Every team ahead of us should be. Every team behind us should be as well. We are properly ranked.

CountryFrog

9 is fair. Could make an argument for us being ahead of Penn St but it's a small quibble. I'm just glad the committee doesn't put out their worthless drivel after the season is over.