• The KillerFrogs

Final 2018 AP Top 25

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I agree. These rankings are well done IMO and we should, as a fan base, recognize that we aren't being disrespected in any way. It would have been easy to put any of the next four teams ahead of us on name brand alone. But they didn't. Every team ahead of us should be. Every team behind us should be as well. We are properly ranked.

One thing that should be recognized by Bama’s OT win, that all the BS about B12 pinball offenses and alleged lack of defenses is just that, BS. OU was a couple of rookie coaching moves away from being in or winning the big one, even after losing to our version of Mississippi State in Iowa State.

Wexahu

One thing that should be recognized by Bama’s OT win, that all the BS about B12 pinball offenses and alleged lack of defenses is just that, BS. OU was a couple of rookie coaching moves away from being in or winning the big one, even after losing to our version of Mississippi State in Iowa State.

I agree. But by the same token, all the BS about SEC offenses sucking is just that too.

Sebastian S

Still pissed we could not beat OU at least once.

Their defense looked phenomenal against us and horrible against others.

Why couldn't we come up with something? We had 2 shots at them.

Zubaz

Still pissed we could not beat OU at least once.

Their defense looked phenomenal against us and horrible against others.

Why couldn't we come up with something? We had 2 shots at them.
It's all about scheme. Their defense wasn't good against deep balls or pound the rock teams. We had neither. They were, however, fast and able to cover spread teams pretty well. Once we lost Anderson, we just didn't match up well with them at all, and even less so once we got behind early.

Bizarro Frog

I think the fact that the AP has voted us the highest-rated 3-loss team in the country is flying under the radar a bit. I'd venture to say we haven't been the highest-rated 1-loss, 2-loss, 3-loss or 4-loss team in oh, I don't know, 75 years. Which means its basically NEVER happened.

We're no longer the poor little guy that doesn't get any respect. People think we're pretty good.
I agree with your comment and the AP voters did not drop us very far after losing to OU in the title game. Problem is the Committee dropped us behind the teams we ended up finishing in front of and kept us out of a NY6 game. As much as I used to rail against the AP Poll in the past they seem to get it. The Committee is another beast all together.

Problem with the NY6 or Top 12 ranking is the inequity built into conference scheduling. Top teams in the ACC, Big Ten ans SEC most of the time will have fewer losses because they don't play each other. ACC and SEC get another bonus by only playing 8 conference games. During the game last night the question came up on the last time Bama played Georgia in conference. The simple answer is they only play every 6 years. Pretty lame and pretty genius if you want to get 2 teams in. Georgia and Bama are going to be doing the conference championship dance a lot in the future and it will be a playoff play-in game. Hopefully they both don't show up undefeated and the loser gets in as well. OU could have done the Big 12 a solid by winning the Rose Bowl.

Big Frog II

It's all about scheme. Their defense wasn't good against deep balls or pound the rock teams. We had neither. They were, however, fast and able to cover spread teams pretty well. Once we lost Anderson, we just didn't match up well with them at all, and even less so once we got behind early.
Losing Anderson really hurt.

jack the frog

LOL at the people in the Big 12 who thought we could not compete once we joined.

Not to give any recognition to any nut cases but it reminds me of a TCU hater over at the Saggy Bevo realignment thread. Poo poo's TCU constantly. His main arguments as to why we are screwed come realignment are no money and cannot win consistently.

Sebastian S

"The final AP poll is dumb, I've never understood why anyone claims it has any significance. It is more of a product of the team you got to play in your last game instead of where you actually belong in the rankings."

- A Baylor fan who would think otherwise if they beat Michigan State

LeftGenerousAmericancrocodile.gif

Wexahu

I agree with your comment and the AP voters did not drop us very far after losing to OU in the title game. Problem is the Committee dropped us behind the teams we ended up finishing in front of and kept us out of a NY6 game. As much as I used to rail against the AP Poll in the past they seem to get it. The Committee is another beast all together.

Problem with the NY6 or Top 12 ranking is the inequity built into conference scheduling. Top teams in the ACC, Big Ten ans SEC most of the time will have fewer losses because they don't play each other. ACC and SEC get another bonus by only playing 8 conference games. During the game last night the question came up on the last time Bama played Georgia in conference. The simple answer is they only play every 6 years. Pretty lame and pretty genius if you want to get 2 teams in. Georgia and Bama are going to be doing the conference championship dance a lot in the future and it will be a playoff play-in game. Hopefully they both don't show up undefeated and the loser gets in as well. OU could have done the Big 12 a solid by winning the Rose Bowl.

The committee tends to look behind the wins and the losses more than the AP does, which is good IMO. Seems to me like the sole judge of how competent the committee is or the AP voters are is pretty much basely solely on where TCU is ranked.

As for the conference structures, the problem is the imbalances within the leagues. In some years a Big 10 East team might draw Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa (which would make for a brutal overall conference schedule most of the time) and a Big 10 West team might draw Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland, which would be a ridiculously easy slate for that team. That is what is ridiculous. It's why I don't put much stock in "division champs" or "conference championships"....they are decided too much by breaks in scheduling.....i.e. who doesn't have to play the best teams or who gets to play their one or two tough games at home. This year Clemson actually played about as tough an ACC schedule as possible so its hard to say they didn't earn their spot. Wisconsin on the other hand.....

Wexahu

Or maybe their D is overrated...

Probably a little of both, but its hard for me to watch that game last night and not see a couple of really good defenses that took really good offensive plays/players to score against. Granted, we were seeing the best the league had to offer, but those D-lines and linebackers.....holy cow, those are some large, mobile dudes. Hordes of them.

jake102

Probably a little of both, but its hard for me to watch that game last night and not see a couple of really good defenses that took really good offensive plays/players to score against. Granted, we were seeing the best the league had to offer, but those D-lines and linebackers.....holy cow, those are some large, mobile dudes. Hordes of them.

I agree in regards to Alabama. That team is stacked three deep at every position. They went into halftime and said, hey starters, you suck, let's go with freshman everywhere.

Alabama wins that game (and every other game) by 14+ if they started an upper level QB (like Tua).

Sebastian S

I was trying to imagine how that telecast/buildup would have looked if TCU replaced one of those teams.

Alabama and Georgia had a bunch of alums who were either in the pros or were in the pros to fill in the broadcast.

Ours would just be loops of LT and Dalton?(exaggeration - but still far fewer than either team last night)

Wexahu

I agree in regards to Alabama. That team is stacked three deep at every position. They went into halftime and said, hey starters, you suck, let's go with freshman everywhere.

Alabama wins that game (and every other game) by 14+ if they started an upper level QB (like Tua).

They are, barring a major barrage, mostly immune to injuries. Lose a starting DE or LB, just bring in the next elite up and coming kid to take his place. Their D-Line will always be NFL Prototype guys....really their entire defense will. And the only reason their skill guys aren't household names is because Saban plays conservatively on offense when he can. I would bet the #5 WR on their team would start for 90% of teams in the country.

It really is incredible. And its why I contend if they expand the playoffs it only helps teams like Alabama. They are so much better prepared from a roster standpoint to withstand an end-of-year, multi game grind. And based on how well Georgia is recruiting, they might be the next Alabama.

Sebastian S

And its sustainable.

Not like in the pros where the worst team gets the #1 draft pick.

Imagine the Patriots getting the #1 draft pick AFTER they win a superbowl.

Wexahu

And its sustainable.

Not like in the pros where the worst team gets the #1 draft pick.

Imagine the Patriots getting the #1 draft pick AFTER they win a superbowl.

It's worse than that. It'd be like the Patriots getting six 1st rounders every year, like the 1st, 6th, 10th, 18th, 22nd, and 16th picks......virtually every single year.