• The KillerFrogs

Dallas Coaches Event Recap???

jake102

Not really a whole lot. Schloss told a funny, and depressing, story about a note he received after we lost to Kansas in the 1st round Big 12 tournament. Basically somebody left a note saying that he should quit coaching.

Dixon didn't say a whole lot really. Just said things are looking up.

Not much from the Patterson camp either. He rambled a lot... talked about getting death threats and said he likes that it shows passion or something. Literally no talk of the team.

Roditi sounded kind of depressed. Looked like a guy who knows the best player we will likely ever have is gone and we wasted the opportunity.

Del Conte definitely had the most information.
-- No new scoreboard until the funds are in place to build suites/expand the East side. He wants to do it all at once, hopes construction is done by time 2019 season starts. Said it's hard to compete against 90k-100k stadiums.

-- No Big 12 network in foreseeable future or any other service.

-- Eliminating in/out of stadium is currently in discussion. Sounds like Patterson is pissed about attendance (win games!)

-- Mentioned all the opportunities coaches have had to leave. Sounds like Roditi turned down the Virginia job (#1 job in the country).

-- Said the reason for Ohio St game was twofold - 1) Patterson doesn't want to play them because it makes winning a NC much more difficult 2) Economically earns us $5MM for one game. We make $1MM per home game. Also said this is why prices didn't increase.

-- Mentioned that he doesn't want to increase baseball pricing.

-- Lots of mention of money... said the facilities are paid for by donor money. Have to wonder where the excess TV money is going and why we seem so cash strapped.

MAcFroggy

Not really a whole lot. Schloss told a funny, and depressing, story about a note he received after we lost to Kansas in the 1st round Big 12 tournament. Basically somebody left a note saying that he should quit coaching.

Not much from the Patterson camp either. He rambled a lot... talked about getting death threats and said he likes that it shows passion or something. Literally no talk of the team.

Roditi sounded kind of depressed. Looked like a guy who knows the best player we will likely ever have is gone and we wasted the opportunity.

-- No new scoreboard until the funds are in place to build suites/expand the East side. He wants to do it all at once, hopes construction is done by time 2019 season starts. Said it's hard to compete against 90k-100k stadiums.

-- Eliminating in/out of stadium is currently in discussion. Sounds like Patterson is pissed about attendance (win games!)

-- Mentioned all the opportunities coaches have had to leave. Sounds like Roditi turned down the Virginia job (#1 job in the country).

-- Said the reason for Ohio St game was twofold - 1) Patterson doesn't want to play them because it makes winning a NC much more difficult 2) Economically earns us $5MM for one game. We make $1MM per home game. Also said this is why prices didn't increase.

-- Lots of mention of money... said the facilities are paid for by donor money. Have to wonder where the excess TV money is going and why we seem so cash strapped.

Had no idea we were looking at adding more club seats... That is awesome.
Larger video board would be much appreciated.
I still hate that we gave up the H-H with Ohio State. I understand the economics of it, but just sucks for the fans.
If we limit in/out of the football stadium, then will beer sales soon follow?

Gotta Love Gary he takes death threats as a sign of respect the program he built has now created such high expectations that when he doesn't win enough fans threaten to kill him. Poor [ "illegitimate Baylor boy" ] that tries the would be hung to death by any and all TCU fans.

Question for someone in the know if we do renovate the East Side will that expand capacity of the stadium at all?

Dogfrog

I love beer and drink a ton before and after games so nothing against beer. But will never understand the people whose need to shotgun 2-3 more at halftime takes precedence over being in their seats. You can do what you want, I just don't get it.

Also not sure why our coaches would publicly discuss death threats?

Bob

I love beer and drink a ton before and after games so nothing against beer. But will never understand the people whose need to shotgun 2-3 more at halftime takes precedence over being in their seats. You can do what you want, I just don't get it.

Also not sure why our coaches would publicly discuss death threats?
Try substituting s for r and this gets kind of funny

I love bees and drink a ton before and after games so nothing against bees. But will never understand the people whose need to shotgun 2-3 more at halftime takes precedence over being in their seats.

LeagueCityFrog

I believe the meaning was recruiting, that has been the growing chorus from the coaching staff over the years... They still can't beat back the big school mentality in some kids minds.

I think they are wanting to expand the stadium and video screen in part to combat this appearance issue. They want to look BIG.

Also, if they do this expansion after the 2018 season, I expect to re-entry to come quickly, trying to solve the issue of attendance with a small stadium was hard, if you add 5000 seats it'll be harder.

Wexahu

I don't get it either. Now if someone would hand me a beer or two at halftime, I'm sure I'd happily drink it, but it works out well to get a nice buzz going before the game, use the 4 hours of gametime to sober up and rehydrate, and start up again after the game.

Wexahu

Is this a direct quote from Patterson?

If so, very disappointed.

Whether its a direct quote or not, that's how he feels. The play anyone, anytime, anywhere mantra kind of left the building when we joined the Big 12 and after we played LSU in 2012. The OSU series may have been scheduled after that LSU game, but he did have some regrets about playing that game.

I can't say I blame him, although I HATE the FCS game. As long as a 17-14 win over a terrible team is better than a 17-14 loss to a great team (which it is and always has been in the eyes of voters), it doesn't make a lot of sense to be reckless with scheduling.

TCUdirtbag

Wow. This is real news. If true, we should be hearing about this next spring/summer with construction beginning immediately after thanksgiving 2018.

Some rough salary numbers:
Patterson: $4M
Dixon: $3.2M
Schloss: $1.2M
Del Conte: $1M
Cumbie: $1M
Total: $10.4 M for those 5 alone
This doesn't touch Pebley, Roditi, Kramer, Saarloos, Mosiello, Patrick, Miller, Barker, Luper, Glasgow, Anderson, Burns, Fitch, Gonzales, Sharp, Thomsen, Dykes, Fuller, Modkins, Sommer, and all the minor sport HCs and all assistants, athletics administration, media relations, trainers, etc.

Athletics payroll has to be in excess of $20 M. Then you add in all the charter team travel, recruiting expenses, day to day operations costs, tutoring, gameday operations, and it's easy to see how that Big 12 TV money gets spent pretty quick.

lowfrog

Stadium size is not about recruiting. It's about losing revenue because you have demand for seats and you don't have the seats to sell. Currently, ACS official capacity is 45,000. CDC would not be talking about expanding seating on the east side unless he knew/believed there was demand for it. So, he wants to expand seating on the east side by 15,000 to 25,000, which brings you up into 60,000 - 70,000 range. Plus you have SRO sales. College games at Jerry World, which seats around 100,000, usually reach seat sales of about 75,000, even for the "big" college games. Expanding the east side of ACS should bring ACS into that 75,000 seat range. The problem with beer sales is the legal liability you automatically incur with them. The legal costs can quickly and easily outstrip any profit you make. (This information is never mentioned in the media or by those who are pro-beer sales at sports stadiums.) It doesn't matter if you "win" a lawsuit. You still have legal costs, not to mention the time and attention required by management when they could be doing something else that is more productive.