• The KillerFrogs

Dallas Coaches Event Recap???

Wexahu

I think TCU needs to get a bigger stadium to compete long term. The ability to make money from the big games filling up a bigger stadium would be great for TCU. I think having more End Zone and Nosebleed Seats would attract more T-Shirt Fans and families that can't afford all the Premium stuff. I understand we would have a lot more Texas and OU fans when we play them, but I think we have enough Frog Fans to take most of the demand except when we play crappy teams then we might have empty seats. We need to sell alcohol in the stadium everywhere period. It helps more problems than it creates. Recruits do care about Stadium Size we can lower that gap. It would also be really cool to have some high view deck party deck areas for fans to Stand In. If we could boost SRO's and have more space for them that would still give us the seat sell out, but we could pack in 10-15K if we set up some flat high standing watching areas. I get we are not UT or OU and never will be and we shouldn't try to compete with them on a lot of things. Being the High End Luxury Brand is perfect for TCU and works well.

TCU needs fans that didn't go to TCU if they can't come to games because they are always sold out and too pricey to afford how do we ever build that fan base? We are building a great following in Fort Worth we just need make the next jump in support level and keep building to fill up a larger stadium and cash in when we get a huge sold out game more inventory to sell would be great.

As far as the cost to do the East Side it would probably cost the same as the West Side unless I am missing something? I am happy that the smartest and best people work at TCU to make these decisions and not us fans. I just believe that having a larger capacity makes having your team in a conference appear to be better than a smaller stadium does. It is irrelevant if you have sell outs every game or not. If you can hold 70K, 80K, 90K or a 100K that matters. How many seats do other wealthy small private schools stadiums hold?

Rice 100K
Stanford 50K?
Notre Dame ?
Vanderbilt?
Duke?
USC 80-90K?

Its not the size of your stadium, but how you use it or fill it!!!

Rice's stadium seated about 60-70k at one time but they put a huge tarp on it or something so it doesn't look completely empty. It's 47k now and still 2/3 empty most of the time.

Duke's seats 33k and Vandy's 40k. USCs was built in the 1920's for the Olympics.

Dumb post. You don't build a bigger stadium until you consistently fill the one you have. There's nothing wrong with our stadium.

TCUdirtbag

I think TCU needs to get a bigger stadium to compete long term. The ability to make money from the big games filling up a bigger stadium would be great for TCU. I think having more End Zone and Nosebleed Seats would attract more T-Shirt Fans and families that can't afford all the Premium stuff. I understand we would have a lot more Texas and OU fans when we play them, but I think we have enough Frog Fans to take most of the demand except when we play crappy teams then we might have empty seats. We need to sell alcohol in the stadium everywhere period. It helps more problems than it creates. Recruits do care about Stadium Size we can lower that gap. It would also be really cool to have some high view deck party deck areas for fans to Stand In. If we could boost SRO's and have more space for them that would still give us the seat sell out, but we could pack in 10-15K if we set up some flat high standing watching areas. I get we are not UT or OU and never will be and we shouldn't try to compete with them on a lot of things. Being the High End Luxury Brand is perfect for TCU and works well.

TCU needs fans that didn't go to TCU if they can't come to games because they are always sold out and too pricey to afford how do we ever build that fan base? We are building a great following in Fort Worth we just need make the next jump in support level and keep building to fill up a larger stadium and cash in when we get a huge sold out game more inventory to sell would be great.

As far as the cost to do the East Side it would probably cost the same as the West Side unless I am missing something? I am happy that the smartest and best people work at TCU to make these decisions and not us fans. I just believe that having a larger capacity makes having your team in a conference appear to be better than a smaller stadium does. It is irrelevant if you have sell outs every game or not. If you can hold 70K, 80K, 90K or a 100K that matters. How many seats do other wealthy small private schools stadiums hold?

Rice 100K
Stanford 50K?
Notre Dame ?
Vanderbilt?
Duke?
USC 80-90K?

Its not the size of your stadium, but how you use it or fill it!!!

You just listed a bunch of schools that never fill their stadium. Cool.

Dman890

Our fan base is what it is. Small, skewed female. That will never change.

Best we can do is manage it which I think has to include no ins and outs. And I think beer sales.

Wexahu

Rice stadium's capacity since their renovations and closing off areas is 70K, Tulane stadium has/ had a capacity of over 80K. I can't tell you why they built stadiums that big though I do know both as well as SMU and TCU had quite the local followings prior to the NFL/AFL coming to Houston, New Orleans, and Dallas. Two biggest crowds I have ever seen at Rice are when Texas played back in the 90's and the Super Bowl when Pittsburgh beat Minnesota. TCU struggles to fill its stadium at its current size so the idea of going to 70K is nothing short of ridiculous. It is also ridiculous that people spend what they do for season tickets and barely spend half a game in their seats. It is a problem ever school is facing as their is competition for time and money. I was struck by how many SMU student, alums, parents, didn't show up until the second quarter last season. TCU has the problem of just having over 100K alums and having to depend upon "fans" in the Metroplex to consistently fill the stadium. I understand the coaches hear it from recruits, but more open seats won't fix that problem.

A lot of TCU fans buy tickets as a way of making a donation to the school, they don't really have any intention of going to games on a regular basis. Almost the entire lower bowl west side are these types of donors/fans. I've sat down there a couple times and am shocked at the amount of empty seats, even for good games.

We have some big donors that buy up large blocks of seats for big $. That's the dilemma CDC has.

Frogcrates

If east side expansion starts with new suites, I sure hope they work out a deal with all the plus-four folks down on the lower-level west side to get them out of there somehow (i.e. swap this seats with new suite seats, etc.). That section remains the last place we want to look empty that consistently does.

Also, prohibit in-out and extend after game tailgate hours and make an event of it - the TCU after party. Hell maybe even have a concert or something, I don't know.

Dman890

A lot of TCU fans buy tickets as a way of making a donation to the school, they don't really have any intention of going to games on a regular basis. Almost the entire lower bowl west side are these types of donors/fans. I've sat down there a couple times and am shocked at the amount of empty seats, even for good games.

We have some big donors that buy up large blocks of seats for big $. That's the dilemma CDC has.

I'd wonder at some point if some transparency with some of these folks might work. At what point do you try to communicate that not showing up or selling your tickets to opposing fans is a big issue.

Frogcrates

The obvious answer is if they put in place a no return policy you won't be able to go for refills and will need to buy bigger boots.
bm1763_the_big_swig_super_flask_action.png

TCUdirtbag

Our fan base is what it is. Small, skewed female. That will never change.

Best we can do is manage it which I think has to include no ins and outs. And I think beer sales.

Going to disagree to an extent (though I do t favor adding capacity). Enrollment has. Even increasing for years, people are living longer, and we are holding a higher percentage of alums as sports event goers than we used to. So in many ways it is changing in that the fan base is ever-growing. That said, with so many out of state students these days, that could be tapering odd unless a high percentage of out of staters are sticking around Texas.

TCUdirtbag

Rice stadium's capacity since their renovations and closing off areas is 70K, Tulane stadium has/ had a capacity of over 80K. I can't tell you why they built stadiums that big though I do know both as well as SMU and TCU had quite the local followings prior to the NFL/AFL coming to Houston, New Orleans, and Dallas. Two biggest crowds I have ever seen at Rice are when Texas played back in the 90's and the Super Bowl when Miami beat Minnesota. TCU struggles to fill its stadium at its current size so the idea of going to 70K is nothing short of ridiculous. It is also ridiculous that people spend what they do for season tickets and barely spend half a game in their seats. It is a problem ever school is facing as their is competition for time and money. I was struck by how many SMU student, alums, parents, didn't show up until the second quarter last season. TCU has the problem of just having over 100K alums and having to depend upon "fans" in the Metroplex to consistently fill the stadium. I understand the coaches hear it from recruits, but more open seats won't fix that problem.

Dude, Tulane Stadium closed in 1975. The Green Wave plays in Yulman, capacity 30k. Not sure how these anecdotes mean anything.

I would also argue TCU doesn't "struggle" to fill AGCS. Rather, it seems to be a very good size for the current fan base.

Purp

This just proves we have crappy fans that have priorities above and beyond TCU. Sounds like CDC is saying we have great fans of partying, With TCU as a middling second...
I disagree with this a bit. I don't think it's a problem specific to our fans. I think it's more a phenomenon brought on by the advent of affordable premium TVs and outstanding video quality from games. And so many channels made portable by tailgate satellite antennae means multiple games can be watched at home or at a tailgate rather than just the one in the stadium. The same thing is also affecting movie theaters.

20 years ago the game watching experience was better in the stadium. Now? For the older generations it still is, but for the younger generations it's not as clear cut. And after the reno of AGC it became more difficult for groups of friends to have adjacent tickets so watching at a tailgate can solve that problem too.

It may sound absurd, but younger generations may also like leaving for cell phone access. Wi-Fi and cell signals are awful in AGC and they may stay at tailgates longer just to continue to be able to tweet and snap.

I've noticed lots of empty seats at UT and other big state U games while watching on TV and it happens during close games and blowouts.

Last edited:

Dman890

I disagree with this a bit. Indoor think it's a problem specific to our fans. I think it's more a phenomenon brought on by the advent of affordable premium TVs and outstanding video quality from games. And so many channels made portable by tailgate satellite antennae means multiple games can be watched at home or at a tailgate rather than just the one in the stadium. The same thing is also affecting movie theaters.

20 years ago the game watching experience was better in the stadium. Now? For the older generations it still is, but for the younger generations it's not as clear cut. And after the reno of AGC it became more difficult for groups of friends to have adjacent tickets so watching at a tailgate can solve that problem too.

It may sound absurd, but younger generations may also like leaving for cell phone access. Wi-Fi and cell signals are awful in AGC and they may stay at tailgates longer just to continue to be able to tweet and snap.

I've noticed lots of empty seats at UT and other big state U games while watching on TV and it happens during close games and blowouts.

I agree with this . I live in Austin and attend a few UT games every year. They have the similar problems...ours are just magnified bc our numbers are so much smaller. Their stadium will be half empty but its still got over 60K people in the stands.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I disagree with this a bit. I don't think it's a problem specific to our fans. I think it's more a phenomenon brought on by the advent of affordable premium TVs and outstanding video quality from games. And so many channels made portable by tailgate satellite antennae means multiple games can be watched at home or at a tailgate rather than just the one in the stadium. The same thing is also affecting movie theaters.

Well, we can agree to disagree. You don't see this at Alabama, Penn State (and they've been down!), Notre Dame ( they haven't been that good either and I've been there and no one leaves the stadium), I wouldny use UT as a benchmark, they have always had crappy front running fans, I hate to cite those cultists at Gaggieland, but their team comes first, sheep buggering even waits until they lose. LSU has probably the biggest partiers and you don't see empty seats there.

Let's keep a count of games this fall on TV and of those schools that fill up their places, few will look as bad as we do.

I don't think GP would mention it if it wasn't the case.

I will say that TCU is still light years ahead of when I was in school when the stands were empty before, during, at the half, at the end of the half, etc.

Purp

Well, we can agree to disagree. You don't see this at Alabama, Penn State (and they've been down!), Notre Dame ( they haven't been that good either and I've been there and no one leaves the stadium), I wouldny use UT as a benchmark, they have always had crappy front running fans, I hate to cite those cultists at Gaggieland, but their team comes first, sheep buggering even waits until they lose. LSU has probably the biggest partiers and you don't see empty seats there.

Let's keep a count of games this fall on TV and of those schools that fill up their places, few will look as bad as we do.

I don't think GP would mention it if it wasn't the case.

I will say that TCU is still light years ahead of when I was in school when the stands were empty before, during, at the half, at the end of the half, etc.
I have seen it at Bama and ND too. There are plenty of games those places thin out quite a bit. Can't speak to Sandusky State bc I haven't watched enough of their games, but I have noticed it at enough places that I don't think it's exclusive to us.

Wexahu

I have seen it at Bama and ND too. There are plenty of games those places thin out quite a bit. Can't speak to Sandusky State bc I haven't watched enough of their games, but I have noticed it at enough places that I don't think it's exclusive to us.

Other stadiums you mention thin out as well, especially during uncompetitive games, but not as bad as ours do. And we're starting with 45k max, not 90k.

netty2424

The only thing that has been proven is that when two teams having one loss are being compared with each other, the one with more impressive wins will get the nod. In that respect, you're right, playing and beating a great team in OOC would give any team a huge advantage if it even came down to a team to team comparison. If we beat OSU next year and go 11-1, we'll in the playoffs, I'd guarantee it. But you have to win.

I think it's just playing the odds though. GP is probably realistically thinking what are the odds we'd beat OSU one time, much less both times? And if you lose, you're kind of behind the 8-ball and out of the conversation unless you roll off about 8 straight wins. He probably sees how Baylor had been doing it, and it really hasn't hurt their rankings at all and they've been remaining relevant at least through October. If you'd have a higher ranking going 3-0 against tin cans than going 2-1 with a 3-point loss to OSU, a case can be made that it's not worth the risk. It's important for our program to remain ranked and in the conversation so to speak, more so than other programs that will always be talked about no matter what.

In the current environment it's probably best to have a schedule that's good enough that you don't ridiculed by the media for it, but not so good that you have a hard time going 3-0. I'd say our 2014 schedule fit the bill with Minnesota being the opponent. We avoided all the media scrutiny that Baylor got, but let's face it, Minnesota at home in Texas in September is not a game that should be tough to win. Our lambasting of Baylor for their terrible schedule was kind of comical to me, because ours was basically "Minnesota at home" versus "at Buffalo" more difficult....in other words, not by much.

All fair points, I don't really disagree with what you're saying. But that doesn't change my feelings about the comments.

And darn Baylor and their weak ass schedule strategy. No one respected it and in the end it never got them anywhere. Not a blueprint I'm interested in following and I don't think GP is either. Our efforts in OOC scheduling don't resemble Baylors imo.

There's a lot to be said about getting on a big stage on national tv with the team that got handed a spot they didn't deserve with an opportunity to beat them early. This is all about competition. Embrace it, don't run from it.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Never said it was exclusive to us, just not as bad as it is at TCU. I haven to to ND games and no one leaves at half time. I have never seen Bryant Denny liked lik someone pulled a fire alarm at the start of a second half.