• The KillerFrogs

Dallas Coaches Event Recap???

Moose Stuff

Stadium size is not about recruiting. It's about losing revenue because you have demand for seats and you don't have the seats to sell. Currently, ACS official capacity is 45,000. CDC would not be talking about expanding seating on the east side unless he knew/believed there was demand for it. So, he wants to expand seating on the east side by 15,000 to 25,000, which brings you up into 60,000 - 70,000 range. Plus you have SRO sales. College games at Jerry World, which seats around 100,000, usually reach seat sales of about 75,000, even for the "big" college games. Expanding the east side of ACS should bring ACS into that 75,000 seat range. The problem with beer sales is the legal liability you automatically incur with them. The legal costs can quickly and easily outstrip any profit you make. (This information is never mentioned in the media or by those who are pro-beer sales at sports stadiums.) It doesn't matter if you "win" a lawsuit. You still have legal costs, not to mention the time and attention required by management when they could be doing something else that is more productive.

Simply my opinion, but expanding
ACS to 70,000 seats would be one of the worst ideas of all time unless we're magically increasing enrollment to 35,000 at the same time.

LeagueCityFrog

What did CDC mean when he said he can't compete with 90,000 and 100,000 stadiums?
Wow. This is real news. If true, we should be hearing about this next spring/summer with construction beginning immediately after thanksgiving 2018.

Some rough salary numbers:
Patterson: $4M
Dixon: $3.2M
Schloss: $1.2M
Del Conte: $1M
Cumbie: $1M
Total: $10.4 M for those 5 alone
This doesn't touch Pebley, Roditi, Kramer, Saarloos, Mosiello, Patrick, Miller, Barker, Luper, Glasgow, Anderson, Burns, Fitch, Gonzales, Sharp, Thomsen, Dykes, Fuller, Modkins, Sommer, and all the minor sport HCs and all assistants, athletics administration, media relations, trainers, etc.

Athletics payroll has to be in excess of $20 M. Then you add in all the charter team travel, recruiting expenses, day to day operations costs, tutoring, gameday operations, and it's easy to see how that Big 12 TV money gets spent pretty quick.

If Del Conte gets the Big XII to stay together including OU and UT after 2024 and adds 2 more teams to get rid of the stupid conference inferior stigma or navigates us safely with our new friends in the Pac-12 or less likely SEC, then watch for his pay to go from $1 million to $2 million a year with a well styled statue being constructed concurrently next to Gary's. I don't need or want a 90,000 TCU football stadium. We all know TCU would need to grow their student body size thus having that many alums and their future kids to fill that thing and that is just not TCU that's Texas A&M. I like TCU's high end approach and just charging more for the premium experience and premium tailgate (see parking spot expense for details.) That approach works with our fanbase. I think an Amon Carter stadium during this next round of expansion with around 50,000 capacity with most of that in premium seating and another smaller, but nice East side club area, will be legit enough for TCU for the next cycle of conference realignment. You be damn sure CDC will have us ready for the next round in 2024.

Our stadium capacity number might be used against TCU too in the next round of conference realignment like it is obviously being used against us now in high school recruiting if say another Texas team or Midwest team is fighting for the final seat at the super conference table selling against TCU. I think a continued high quality Amon Carter experience with a 50,000 capacity plus our academics, medical school, plus Fort Worth would get us the nod. And I think we would be in a Hunger Games style fight for the last of the 64 seats since we are not a state school despite our on the field accomplishments and continued facility upgrades between now and 2024. CDC will have us ready.

UT and OU are awesome football programs obviously with large stadiums. Amon Carter, pound for pound, is the nicest stadium in the Big XII. I've been to almost all of them and there is not nicer one out there. ( I do like the new home side of K-State's too.) Kansas is the worst despite how nice the setting and the campus is in Lawrence. ($300 Million fund raiser and facelift coming for that stadium.) If UT was a hotel it would be like the Worthington in downtown Fort Worth, nice enough and big enough to hold a lot of visitors. Amon Carter is like the W in Austin or the Four Seasons in Kona (which is awesome by the way if any Frogs out there are looking for a vacation spot.) High quality, high end all the way through! Fall camp is days away and I liked hearing both Gary and Kenny Hill say last week that "We are ready to go!"

http://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Stadium size is not about recruiting. It's about losing revenue because you have demand for seats and you don't have the seats to sell. Currently, ACS official capacity is 45,000. CDC would not be talking about expanding seating on the east side unless he knew/believed there was demand for it. So, he wants to expand seating on the east side by 15,000 to 25,000, which brings you up into 60,000 - 70,000 range. Plus you have SRO sales. College games at Jerry World, which seats around 100,000, usually reach seat sales of about 75,000, even for the "big" college games. Expanding the east side of ACS should bring ACS into that 75,000 seat range. The problem with beer sales is the legal liability you automatically incur with them. The legal costs can quickly and easily outstrip any profit you make. (This information is never mentioned in the media or by those who are pro-beer sales at sports stadiums.) It doesn't matter if you "win" a lawsuit. You still have legal costs, not to mention the time and attention required by management when they could be doing something else that is more productive.
You're smoking crack.

Nick Danger

I think they are wanting to expand the stadium and video screen in part to combat this appearance issue. They want to look BIG.

I believe you may be on to something! Making the east side "expansion" mostly another Club section with perhaps some additional lower-tier (less expensive) "loge" seating on the previously mentioned "shaded overhang", along with a bigger scoreboard, makes sense. Adding 5,000 more regular seats does not, unless you make some accommodations for a larger, less packed-in student section! Additionally, by expanding the available club and loge seats on the east side and by offering alcohol in those areas, you'll also somewhat alleviate the in-and-out problem without having to make beer available throughout the entire stadium.

Last edited:

netty2424

Whether its a direct quote or not, that's how he feels. The play anyone, anytime, anywhere mantra kind of left the building when we joined the Big 12 and after we played LSU in 2012. The OSU series may have been scheduled after that LSU game, but he did have some regrets about playing that game.

I can't say I blame him, although I HATE the FCS game. As long as a 17-14 win over a terrible team is better than a 17-14 loss to a great team (which it is and always has been in the eyes of voters), it doesn't make a lot of sense to be reckless with scheduling.
You'll never convince me or make me understand that mentality.

It's already been proven that TCU "doesn't deserve" to be in CFP over the blue bloods so the only way to get around it is to beat the blue bloods.

You beat a blue blood, you punch your own ticket. You loose to them in a close game, you gain some respect. You get beat badly, you don't deserve to be in the CFP to begin with.

Very disappointed in that statement or thought by GP if in fact that was the message.

Dman890

I think we need to get the capacity up over 50K for conference realignment purposes. Not too much bigger than that though.

When they add the new club section I'd also love it if they changed the ratio of the upper deck / lower level. I think it looks a little janky with the way the upper deck is bigger than the lower student section.

LeagueCityFrog

Another perspective is the visiting prospective athlete or perhaps a new conference commissioner say from the Pac 12 or SEC sniffing around TCU one day. Most of these types of people will probably roll up on TCU from Stadium Drive on the East Side. If the renovation plans could make the East Side look more intimidating from the Student Center while concurrently not ruining what Frog Alley has become, I think we would have a winner.

I bet the new jumbotron they are looking at is awesome too and probably just a little bigger than Baylor's, wink wink.

Has anyone on here heard the ballpark price tag is for the new jumbotron and East side addition? Somewhere in the $60 - $80 million range maybe? Primarily paid for by the luxury suites and East side club?

Last edited:

SeniorFrog

-- Eliminating in/out of stadium is currently in discussion. Sounds like Patterson is pissed about attendance (win games!)

He said Patterson was pissed when he comes out of the locker room at half time and there is no one in their seats.

CDC Said that TCU fans are great migrators. We slowly migrate in for kick off and fill up the stadium by the middle of the 1st Quarter. We migrate out at Half Time. And then we slowly migrate back in half way through the 3rd.

He mentioned a lot of that has to do with the Tailgate atmosphere that Hyman created when he was here (back when we had 6,000 season ticket holders). Gave Hyman credit for making the TCU game day experience more than just a football game, but an event.

But now demand is much higher so in/out is on the table. Recruits notice when the fans aren't in their seats, but there is a Sea of Purple in the parking lots.

CDC's quandary is fans pay a lot of money for their parking spots and that significant amount of money helps fund a lot of things in the athletic department. He doesn't want to see a decline in parking pass sales because people can't leave at half time.

They probably won't make a decision on it until after the suite expansions in 2019.

CDC does not make the decision on the beer sales in the stadium - that is up to the Board of Trustees.

IMHO - I say keep people in the stadium effective immediately and expand the tailgating hours pre and post game.

Stadium capacity TODAY is 45,000 officially, with SRO and student cramming pushing that up to 48k thus far.

I think they could add 5k seats as part of a new loge level on the east side, making the official capacity 50k, up to 55k with SRO/students.

Beer sales in the stadium don't generate much money.

Texas generated a million in revenue for the school, they have 100k folks a game. Meaning if we get $500k we'd be lucky.

I can't imagine, given the additional costs we would have, that $500k in revenue from beer would ever pass a trustee vote.

MTfrog5

He said Patterson was pissed when he comes out of the locker room at half time and there is no one in their seats.

CDC Said that TCU fans are great migrators. We slowly migrate in for kick off and fill up the stadium by the middle of the 1st Quarter. We migrate out at Half Time. And then we slowly migrate back in half way through the 3rd.

He mentioned a lot of that has to do with the Tailgate atmosphere that Hyman created when he was here (back when we had 6,000 season ticket holders). Gave Hyman credit for making the TCU game day experience more than just a football game, but an event.

But now demand is much higher so in/out is on the table. Recruits notice when the fans aren't in their seats, but there is a Sea of Purple in the parking lots.

CDC's quandary is fans pay a lot of money for their parking spots and that significant amount of money helps fund a lot of things in the athletic department. He doesn't want to see a decline in parking pass sales because people can't leave at half time.

They probably won't make a decision on it until after the suite expansions in 2019.

CDC does not make the decision on the beer sales in the stadium - that is up to the Board of Trustees.

IMHO - I say keep people in the stadium effective immediately and expand the tailgating hours pre and post game.
Your last statement is key I think for the people who feel the need to go to their tailgate at halftime. If the no in/out is adopted then I think it is a must for them to extend the tailgating hours before the game and well after the game is over.

Wexahu

You'll never convince me or make me understand that mentality.

It's already been proven that TCU "doesn't deserve" to be in CFP over the blue bloods so the only way to get around it is to beat the blue bloods.

You beat a blue blood, you punch your own ticket. You loose to them in a close game, you gain some respect. You get beat badly, you don't deserve to be in the CFP to begin with.

Very disappointed in that statement or thought by GP if in fact that was the message.

The only thing that has been proven is that when two teams having one loss are being compared with each other, the one with more impressive wins will get the nod. In that respect, you're right, playing and beating a great team in OOC would give any team a huge advantage if it even came down to a team to team comparison. If we beat OSU next year and go 11-1, we'll in the playoffs, I'd guarantee it. But you have to win.

I think it's just playing the odds though. GP is probably realistically thinking what are the odds we'd beat OSU one time, much less both times? And if you lose, you're kind of behind the 8-ball and out of the conversation unless you roll off about 8 straight wins. He probably sees how Baylor had been doing it, and it really hasn't hurt their rankings at all and they've been remaining relevant at least through October. If you'd have a higher ranking going 3-0 against tin cans than going 2-1 with a 3-point loss to OSU, a case can be made that it's not worth the risk. It's important for our program to remain ranked and in the conversation so to speak, more so than other programs that will always be talked about no matter what.

In the current environment it's probably best to have a schedule that's good enough that you don't ridiculed by the media for it, but not so good that you have a hard time going 3-0. I'd say our 2014 schedule fit the bill with Minnesota being the opponent. We avoided all the media scrutiny that Baylor got, but let's face it, Minnesota at home in Texas in September is not a game that should be tough to win. Our lambasting of Baylor for their terrible schedule was kind of comical to me, because ours was basically "Minnesota at home" versus "at Buffalo" more difficult....in other words, not by much.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

This just proves we have crappy fans that have priorities above and beyond TCU. Sounds like CDC is saying we have great fans of partying, With TCU as a middling second...

I think TCU needs to get a bigger stadium to compete long term. The ability to make money from the big games filling up a bigger stadium would be great for TCU. I think having more End Zone and Nosebleed Seats would attract more T-Shirt Fans and families that can't afford all the Premium stuff. I understand we would have a lot more Texas and OU fans when we play them, but I think we have enough Frog Fans to take most of the demand except when we play crappy teams then we might have empty seats. We need to sell alcohol in the stadium everywhere period. It helps more problems than it creates. Recruits do care about Stadium Size we can lower that gap. It would also be really cool to have some high view deck party deck areas for fans to Stand In. If we could boost SRO's and have more space for them that would still give us the seat sell out, but we could pack in 10-15K if we set up some flat high standing watching areas. I get we are not UT or OU and never will be and we shouldn't try to compete with them on a lot of things. Being the High End Luxury Brand is perfect for TCU and works well.

TCU needs fans that didn't go to TCU if they can't come to games because they are always sold out and too pricey to afford how do we ever build that fan base? We are building a great following in Fort Worth we just need make the next jump in support level and keep building to fill up a larger stadium and cash in when we get a huge sold out game more inventory to sell would be great.

As far as the cost to do the East Side it would probably cost the same as the West Side unless I am missing something? I am happy that the smartest and best people work at TCU to make these decisions and not us fans. I just believe that having a larger capacity makes having your team in a conference appear to be better than a smaller stadium does. It is irrelevant if you have sell outs every game or not. If you can hold 70K, 80K, 90K or a 100K that matters. How many seats do other wealthy small private schools stadiums hold?

Rice 100K
Stanford 50K?
Notre Dame ?
Vanderbilt?
Duke?
USC 80-90K?

Its not the size of your stadium, but how you use it or fill it!!!

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I think TCU needs to get a bigger stadium to compete long term. The ability to make money from the big games filling up a bigger stadium would be great for TCU. I think having more End Zone and Nosebleed Seats would attract more T-Shirt Fans and families that can't afford all the Premium stuff. I understand we would have a lot more Texas and OU fans when we play them, but I think we have enough Frog Fans to take most of the demand except when we play crappy teams then we might have empty seats. We need to sell alcohol in the stadium everywhere period. It helps more problems than it creates. Recruits do care about Stadium Size we can lower that gap. It would also be really cool to have some high view deck party deck areas for fans to Stand In. If we could boost SRO's and have more space for them that would still give us the seat sell out, but we could pack in 10-15K if we set up some flat high standing watching areas. I get we are not UT or OU and never will be and we shouldn't try to compete with them on a lot of things. Being the High End Luxury Brand is perfect for TCU and works well.

TCU needs fans that didn't go to TCU if they can't come to games because they are always sold out and too pricey to afford how do we ever build that fan base? We are building a great following in Fort Worth we just need make the next jump in support level and keep building to fill up a larger stadium and cash in when we get a huge sold out game more inventory to sell would be great.

As far as the cost to do the East Side it would probably cost the same as the West Side unless I am missing something? I am happy that the smartest and best people work at TCU to make these decisions and not us fans. I just believe that having a larger capacity makes having your team in a conference appear to be better than a smaller stadium does. It is irrelevant if you have sell outs every game or not. If you can hold 70K, 80K, 90K or a 100K that matters. How many seats do other wealthy small private schools stadiums hold?

Rice 100K
Stanford 50K?
Notre Dame ?
Vanderbilt?
Duke?
USC 80-90K?

Its not the size of your stadium, but how you use it or fill it!!!
Rice 100k?

You are smoking crack.