• The KillerFrogs

Hoops Thread: Frogs vs Bears

PurpleBlood87

A lot of y’all were pissed about the 3 to end regulation? I’d take a wide open look from Bane after moving the ball to the opposite post. Reading this last night I thought he had 5 Baylor players on him.

Would have rather seen Vlad get the ball in the post and drive to the basket instead of kicking the ball out. Baylor's big post had four fouls. Make him foul you or put up a high percentage shot as the clock expires.

Purp

Btw, Ku is next. And we are as good as them.
Or better. I'm not trying to put the [ the old ricardo ] in cocky, but I think we shoot as well as KU and we're much better and deeper than they are at the 4 and 5 position. I really don't see an obvious advantage that they have over us except they probably have the best player on either team (not by a wide margin, though) and they have a winning pedigree that we don't have. Other than that KU looks very beatable, both in Fort Dub and Lawrence.

Tom Brown

Or better. I'm not trying to put the [ the old ricardo ] in [ the old ricardo ]y, but I think we shoot as well as KU and we're much better and deeper than they are at the 4 and 5 position. I really don't see an obvious advantage that they have over us except they probably have the best player on either team (not by a wide margin, though) and they have a winning pedigree that we don't have. Other than that KU looks very beatable, both in Fort Dub and Lawrence.

Losing at home is rare for them and being dominated twice is ultra rare. They do have strong talent in the starting 5 but little depth. WV and Tech are legit the best 2 teams right now.

Purp

That's like going for a TD on 4th down with 1 second left when you're on the 20 yard line and only need a FG to win. Sure a TD wins it, but less likely it happens.

A 3 wasn't necessary to win and it's a low percentage shot. There's not a basketball coach in the country who would prefer a low percentage shot over a high percentage shot to win a game.
Bane from 3 this year is a high percentage shot. I think Gunner told us he's shooting 60% or something like that. Seriously, though, he's one of the best in the country shooting from anywhere and I like my odds with Bane shooting an open 3 than I do any of our bigs with a contested layup last night against Acuil. We had a lot of contested attempts in the paint last night that didn't go down and didn't draw fouls. I think Bane open from 3 was higher percentage in the game last night.

Purp

Losing at home is rare for them and being dominated twice is ultra rare. They do have strong talent in the starting 5 but little depth. WV and Tech are legit the best 2 teams right now.
I agree with all of this, but it doesn't address the point that man for man I think we match up very well with KU and I don't see any glaring disadvantages for us on paper. If we both shoot well or both shoot poorly I think we have a very good chance of beating them. If we catch a cold streak (we've had several runs this year where we miss a lot of great, open looks) and they don't then I'd clearly expect them to win, but I just haven't been very impressed with KU this year and most of it has to do with their interior players.

Acuil gave us fits, but he had several other bigs helping him all night. Lattin and McNeace were excellent against us, but when one was out we controlled the game. I think Azabuike will give one of our 4 or 5 trouble, but KU doesn't really have much to offer for defense on the other guy in terms of size. As a result, I think we'll score and rebound well against them on the interior.

I'll be very interested to see where the line settles for this one.

Our defense allowed Baylor to crash boards when our bigs tried to help on defense. We need to do an earlier double team to keep our bigs out of foul trouble. We also need remedial training on boxing out! Our big men need to never ever try a lay up again! Go hard and dunk or draw foul play angry nasty basketball!

This team is getting better and better no lid on this season besides injuries!

netty2424

I’m not sure that’s the best analogy. Also worth noting that our team is shooting .514 from the field and Bane is shooting .508 from behind the line so considering that was a pretty open look the percentages say it was as good of an option as anything else.
Yet we're .000 in the last two games when shooting an uneccessary 3 to win. Maybe we're due for the next one.

I already stated we're a good shooting team and it's hard to argue with an open shot, but an open 3 by a .500 shooter doesn't make it a high percentage shot. Just playing the analytics game I guess. I came from a coach who was all about attacking the basket. The game has definitely changed to be more of an outside game. Maybe that's what Dixon wants as well.

EDIT fwiw Bane was 2/6 from 3. 2/3 inside the arch. 2/2 in the paint.

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Not serious.
giphy.gif

Moose Stuff

Yet we're .000 in the last two games when shooting an uneccessary 3 to win. Maybe we're due for the next one.

I already stated we're a good shooting team and it's hard to argue with an open shot, but an open 3 by a .500 shooter doesn't make it a high percentage shot. Just playing the analytics game I guess. I came from a coach who was all about attacking the basket. The game has definitely changed to be more of an outside game. Maybe that's what Dixon wants as well.

EDIT fwiw Bane was 2/6 from 3. 2/3 inside the arch. 2/2 in the paint.

We just disagree.

FrogsUp

Was at game. Live in the area. Very proud of Frogs. Played like the veteran team they are. I emphasize TEAM because we played as total team with 5 in double figures. Baylor played the Scott Drew way—isolate an individual and let the others stand around. Jamie gave him a coaching lesson in teamwork. And for the first time in my life I actually ignored the ignorant comments by the Baylor faithful. Their fans are crap.
Agreed. I was at the game as well and was proud of our team and coach. It was great listening to the BU fans whine the entire time .

TCURiggs

Was at game. Live in the area. Very proud of Frogs. Played like the veteran team they are. I emphasize TEAM because we played as total team with 5 in double figures. Baylor played the Scott Drew way—isolate an individual and let the others stand around. Jamie gave him a coaching lesson in teamwork. And for the first time in my life I actually ignored the ignorant comments by the Baylor faithful. Their fans are crap.

Curious to hear what kind of witty banter their fans were throwing out?

TCUownstheBig12

Are you going to say you’re not serious with this one as well?

Scoring 15 points in 22 minutes against a ranked OU team would lead you to believe that he is going going to score twenty and get ten rebounds against a good team, EVER?

Dude has played 4 years of college basketball...how many 20 and 10 games has he had??? I’m guessing close to zero.

TCUownstheBig12

My 7 year old uses the same technique. Any time he says something rude, he follows it up by saying he was just kidding. Flawless strategy for a 7 year old, now for a grown man...

You got me. I thought we were going to lose every conference game. So glad I got put in my place by our knowledgeable basketball fan base.

Last edited:

froglash88

Couple over the backs that could have been called to allow for them to get some of the offensive rebounds. Can’t really complain because I think Williams also gets away with some over the backs as well in other games this year
There is no such foul as over the back

KCFrog

Or better. I'm not trying to put the [ the old ricardo ] in [ the old ricardo ]y, but I think we shoot as well as KU and we're much better and deeper than they are at the 4 and 5 position. I really don't see an obvious advantage that they have over us except they probably have the best player on either team (not by a wide margin, though) and they have a winning pedigree that we don't have. Other than that KU looks very beatable, both in Fort Dub and Lawrence.

The problem is in Lawrence you also have to beat the refs in the last 5 minutes. Graham got breathed on during three drives to the lane and went to the line every time.
And the foul on the screen was laughable.
If we want a shot at the regular season title, we have to beat KU in FW.