• The KillerFrogs

Hoops Thread: Frogs vs Bears

TCUownstheBig12

How embarrassing

What's embarrassing is that you think a guy that's played over 80 collegiate games and never sniffed 20 and 10 is suddenly now capable of doing it because you said he was...that's embarrassing. I think 80 games is a pretty decent sample size to know what a player has the potential to do...but hey, who am I to argue with such an intelligent basketball mind as yourself. You clearly know something about Hamdy's game that I don't...or historical data.

I get it...you love TCU basketball (as we all do)...but let's tap the brakes on saying that we have 8 bonafide superstars on this squad.

CountryFrog

That's like going for a TD on 4th down with 1 second left when you're on the 20 yard line and only need a FG to win. Sure a TD wins it, but less likely it happens.

A 3 wasn't necessary to win and it's a low percentage shot. There's not a basketball coach in the country who would prefer a low percentage shot over a high percentage shot to win a game.
You're right, but the likelihood that you'll be able to go the length of the floor in 7 seconds and get a high percentage shot are low. A wide open catch and shoot 3 from our best shooter, while not an ideal shot, is pretty good under the circumstances.

It could've been better, absolutely, but also could've been a lot worse.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Dude has played 4 years of college basketball...how many 20 and 10 games has he had??? I’m guessing close to zero.
Lol at "close to zero"... like spin doctors saying "over 7 doctors in a study". JUST SAY EIGHT!! Or in this case, commit to a guess of zero.

Hamdy matches up well against smaller posts and he'll get a 20. Just wait. He doesn't have great hops and he's a little slow. But he's a big 6'10" and has legit game.

TCUownstheBig12

Lol at "close to zero"... like spin doctors saying "over 7 doctors in a study". JUST SAY EIGHT!! Or in this case, commit to a guess of zero

Hamdy matches up well against smaller posts and he'll get a 20. Just wait. He doesn't have great hops and he's a little slow. But he's a big 6'10" and has legit game.

Over 80 games played...0 games with 20 points, 2 games with 10+ rebounds.

Data.

SuperTFrog

How embarrassing
Seriously! If someone can’t tell the difference between those two scenarios there is no hope. I bet Dalton played a game where he scored 2 points in 30 seconds. That means he could score 160 points in a game, right?

Hamdy has scored double digits 4 times this year already. I would say the real issue would be if he could get to the ten rebound mark.

AroundWorldFrog

And one more thread...

giphy.gif

TCUownstheBig12

Seriously! If someone can’t tell the difference between those two scenarios there is no hope. I bet Dalton played a game where he scored 2 points in 30 seconds. That means he could score 160 points in a game, right?

Hamdy has scored double digits 4 times this year already. I would say the real issue would be if he could get to the ten rebound mark.

I get it. I was making the point that extrapolating performance based on points per minute is worthless no matter what.

If Hamdy has a 20 and 10 game, I’ll publicly denounce Tim Love’s greatness right here on this board.

Purp

I get it. I was making the point that extrapolating performance based on points per minute is worthless no matter what.

If Hamdy has a 20 and 10 game, I’ll publicly denounce Tim Love’s greatness right here on this board.
You might as well denounce Tim Love's greatness now b/c he's not great.

Regarding the 80 game sample size on Hamdy, I'd say the sample size from this season is far more relevant. He's been in double digits several times (someone earlier posted 4) and also has multiple 10+ rebound performances. In each case he has not played the lion's share of minutes. All I ever said is he is capable of going for 20 and 10 a couple times this season if the team needs him to. I believe his performances this season suggest that claim isn't much of a stretch.

Regarding the notion that we have 8 bonafide superstars on our team, I think that's an enormous straw man. I'd suggest we have no superstars (for the college game Kenrich could be borderline) and that's one of the main reasons we're so difficult to defend. You can count on 4+ guys to score in double digits and those 4 could be any group of 4 from those 8 from one night to the next.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think Kenrich (he's done it), Vlad (pretty sure he's done it), Noi, Hamdy, or JD could score 20 and pull down 10 boards in a game. Alex and Fish could also score 20 and have 10 dimes. Bane is the least likely to get a double-double b/c he seldom gets that many boards or assists, but he could easily score 20 on any given night. None of those guys are superstars that you'd expect to post those kinds of numbers every game (like Trae Young), but they are capable of doing it and usually at least one of them gets close most nights.

TCUownstheBig12

You might as well denounce Tim Love's greatness now b/c he's not great.

Regarding the 80 game sample size on Hamdy, I'd say the sample size from this season is far more relevant. He's been in double digits several times (someone earlier posted 4) and also has multiple 10+ rebound performances. In each case he has not played the lion's share of minutes. All I ever said is he is capable of going for 20 and 10 a couple times this season if the team needs him to. I believe his performances this season suggest that claim isn't much of a stretch.

Regarding the notion that we have 8 bonafide superstars on our team, I think that's an enormous straw man. I'd suggest we have no superstars (for the college game Kenrich could be borderline) and that's one of the main reasons we're so difficult to defend. You can count on 4+ guys to score in double digits and those 4 could be any group of 4 from those 8 from one night to the next.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think Kenrich (he's done it), Vlad (pretty sure he's done it), Noi, Hamdy, or JD could score 20 and pull down 10 boards in a game. Alex and Fish could also score 20 and have 10 dimes. Bane is the least likely to get a double-double b/c he seldom gets that many boards or assists, but he could easily score 20 on any given night. None of those guys are superstars that you'd expect to post those kinds of numbers every game (like Trae Young), but they are capable of doing it and usually at least one of them gets close most nights.

Disagree on Hamdy and we shall see how the season plays out. I doubt Noi or A-Rob will have a 20 and 10 but they are definitely capable. I’ll stick to relying on a large set of historical data to make my predictions.

Agree that we have zero superstars. That will catch up to us at some point...I still think a 7-8 seed is our ceiling. Hope I’m wrong. I wish I had your purple-colored glasses of delusion.

Moose Stuff

Disagree on Hamdy and we shall see how the season plays out. I doubt Noi or A-Rob will have a 20 and 10 but they are definitely capable. I’ll stick to relying on a large set of historical data to make my predictions.

Agree that we have zero superstars. That will catch up to us at some point...I still think a 7-8 seed is our ceiling. Hope I’m wrong. I wish I had your purple-colored glasses of delusion.

Are you saying it’s delusional to think we could be better than a 7-8 seed?

SuperTFrog

Are you saying it’s delusional to think we could be better than a 7-8 seed?
Those delusional idiots at ESPN are predicting a 4 seed. I think that is a bit aggressive. I don’t care about seeds, just want to make the tournament.

Worrying about seeds (I know you’re not) after missing the tourney 20 years in a row seems a bit cart before the horse esque

flyfishingfrog

Except that Tim Love is great, which immediately makes me suspect someone.
I have no idea how good we could be as a basketball team this year and excited by that concept.

But I do know that Tim Love sucks - at so many levels from his over done versions of food that doesn't need improvement to begin with to the fact that he is one of the biggest POS humans in Ft Worth...

So I got your back there.

MAcFroggy

Those delusional idiots at ESPN are predicting a 4 seed. I think that is a bit aggressive. I don’t care about seeds, just want to make the tournament.

Worrying about seeds (I know you’re not) after missing the tourney 20 years in a row seems a bit cart before the horse esque

The ESPN bracketology is generally based on what has happened to this point with little to no projections on the rest of the season. We are ranked number 16 which would put us in line for the 4 seed. I agree with you. I just hope we make the tournament. I will even take the play-in game at this point,.

TCUownstheBig12

He doesn't know what point he is trying to make anymore.

My points...

1) Hamdy will not have a 20-10 game not is he capable (based on an 80+ game sample size)

2) It is delusional to think that this team can be anything more than a 7-10 seed when conference is said and done. I hope I’m wrong.

3) Point extrapolation to determine someone’s potential is always flawed. No exceptions.

4) We have no superstars.

5) We are not as deep as you sunshine pumpers think we are.

6) The 97-98 team was better.

7) Tim Love is greatness.

Better?

Purp

My points...

1) Hamdy will not have a 20-10 game not is he capable (based on an 80+ game sample size)

2) It is delusional to think that this team can be anything more than a 7-10 seed when conference is said and done. I hope I’m wrong.

3) Point extrapolation to determine someone’s potential is always flawed. No exceptions.

Better?
My points...

1) Maybe he won't, but I won't be shocked if he does.
2) You need a refresher on what delusion is or what reality is.
3) Including games played for a different team under a different offensive system against different opponents with fewer years of experience as part of a sample size is always flawed. Unless, of course, you're one of these guys who doesn't think QBs can improve from one year to the next and basketball players have the same problem.
4) We don't need superstars.
5) It's not pumping sunshine to recognize our 6th, 7th, and 8th guys are better than nearly every team in our conference.
6) It's too early to make a fair assessment.
7) TrumpWrong.gif

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
My points...

Better?
1. I hope he gets 35 and 22 against KU just to shut you up.
2. It's delusional to think we even fully know what we are yet, good or bad. We should be 2-0 in the B12 right now. So since we know so little relative info yet, it's actually delusional to project anything with accuracy.
3. Saying someone with 15 points who played 22 minutes MIGHT have gotten 20 in 30+ minutes is simply logical to me.
4. We don't disagree, at least not current. Several could emerge as such in next couple years.
5. We are pretty damned deep, there is no denying that. We may not be better than certain teams. But we have little performance dropoff with our first 4 bench players. That's the definition of depth.
6. We'll see
7. Hahahahahahahahaha scheiss that [ Arschloch].

Brog

What's embarrassing is that you think a guy that's played over 80 collegiate games and never sniffed 20 and 10 is suddenly now capable of doing it because you said he was...that's embarrassing. I think 80 games is a pretty decent sample size to know what a player has the potential to do...but hey, who am I to argue with such an intelligent basketball mind as yourself. You clearly know something about Hamdy's game that I don't...or historical data.

I get it...you love TCU basketball (as we all do)...but let's tap the brakes on saying that we have 8 bonafide superstars on this squad.

Does your reply here make you feel better?