• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Del Conte, “I didn’t want that regret”

Ron Swanson

Serious question-How big of a friend to Rice was CDC?
I don’t know, but I’d argue the two situations aren’t really comparable.

A. How could he have helped them? He wasn’t exactly in a position to get them into the Big 12, nor do they really have a desire or chance to be in a P5 conference at this point I don’t think.

B. He was only at Rice for 3 years I believe. While I’m sure he developed some strong relationships, I doubt he feels anywhere near as strongly about Rice as he does about TCU.

I’m not saying he’s a double-agent who will be fighting the good fight for the Frogs while at UT, but I’m sure he has a strong emotional attachment to TCU and will give us the benefit of the doubt and help out where he can.

PO Frog

I don’t know, but I’d argue the two situations aren’t really comparable.

A. How could he have helped them? He wasn’t exactly in a position to get them into the Big 12, nor do they really have a desire or chance to be in a P5 conference at this point I don’t think.

B. He was only at Rice for 3 years I believe. While I’m sure he developed some strong relationships, I doubt he feels anywhere near as strongly about Rice as he does about TCU.

I’m not saying he’s a double-agent who will be fighting the good fight for the Frogs while at UT, but I’m sure he has a strong emotional attachment to TCU and will give us the benefit of the doubt and help out where he can.
Didn’t we house their program during Harvey? That’s pretty friendly.

Bob

no-regrets-tattoo-i-regert-nothing.jpg

A lingering concern.....

When Texas decides that another of their, all too frequent, coaching changes is in order...will Del Conte have coaches like Schloss and Dixon at the top of his shopping list?

What point are you trying to make??? Somebody asked if CDC was a friend to Rice while he was at TCU. Nobody asked if he was a genie that could grant Rice three wishes.

I don't believe CDC is a double secret agent at Texas and when/if realignment comes that he is going to fight for TCU's inclusion. I believe CDC will do what is best for CDC. Kind of like a politician does.

Moose Stuff

I don't believe CDC is a double secret agent at Texas and when/if realignment comes that he is going to fight for TCU's inclusion. I believe CDC will do what is best for CDC. Kind of like a politician does.

I don’t think anybody is trying to make a case for the idea that CDC will “fight” for TCU or guarantee us inclusion when expansion/realignment happens again. It’s simply being pointed out that it could benefit us to have the AD at UT be a friend of TCU. If you choose to believe there is no benefit to that it’s fine with me.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The re-alignment circus will be an interesting time. Some years ago, when there was instability, the Big Rumor was that UT would go to the PAC-12. Such an alignment would give the PAC a powerful hold in a time zone accessible to the rest of the viewing public and allow regular access to the rich recruiting grounds of Texas. CDC grew up in the PAC, and his rolodex is full of contacts from there.

It would not hurt the PAC to consider a second target in Texas, and TCU would be most attractive.

Gunner

Del hired Johnson. I think Schloss was here before D' Conte' He didn't hire GP. Dixon was a forced decision, but Conte' didn't fight it.

He was kind of a character and was always approachable. I remember at a practice one day, we were sitting at tables closeby practice. Del Conte' appeared and was talking out loud, apparently to himself. The subject was about a current topic. I laughed out loud and he came over and was very friendly. He just seemed like a good guy. One other time I saw him in a game parking lot and said something to him. He was open as he could be.

One great plus with Del was his ability to raise money. Made easier with the Barnett shale, still he worked that aspect tirelessly. He likely won't have a money problem in Austin.

Think the guy was a real plus.

HToady

How he deals with The Longhorn Network, will give some indication how good a friend, he will be to TCU and the Big 12, in the early going.

Ron Swanson

Del hired Johnson. I think Schloss was here before D' Conte' He didn't hire GP. Dixon was a forced decision, but Conte' didn't fight it.

He was kind of a character and was always approachable. I remember at a practice one day, we were sitting at tables closeby practice. Del Conte' appeared and was talking out loud, apparently to himself. The subject was about a current topic. I laughed out loud and he came over and was very friendly. He just seemed like a good guy. One other time I saw him in a game parking lot and said something to him. He was open as he could be.

One great plus with Del was his ability to raise money. Made easier with the Barnett shale, still he worked that aspect tirelessly. He likely won't have a money problem in Austin.

Think the guy was a real plus.
Maybe I’m getting my story/memory confused, but I’m fairly certain CDC was extremely instrumental in getting Jamie Dixon to TCU.